10+ Year Old Account

I need some advice for Pet Battles

Hello there. I would like to get a bit deeper into the whole pet battle system. However, I haven't used it that much so far. Back when it came out I leveled a team of 3 pets to max level and got a few more over time, however I get the feeling the ones I have aren't actually that good. Therefore, I basically have two questions:

- What is a fast way to level new pets? Simply battle level 23+ pets in Northrend/Pandaria/whatever with a new one and two level 25s? Or is there another way? I do know battle stones exists, but I can't get them reliably with my current team (or I just suck total balls, could also be true).
    - What are some useful pets I should level? I do have access to quite a few, maybe someone of you could take a look or just flat out tell me what to level. Current max level ones: Lil'KT, Lil'Ragnaros, Lil'Deathwing (these 3 were my original party back in MoP), Corefire Imp, Scooter the Snail, Mini Mindslayer, Pierre, Zandalari Kneebiter, as well as an Pandaren Earth Spirit at level 18.

It's not that I can't do anything with my current max level pets, I beat all Pandaria Beasts and the 4 elementals back in MoP, but that was the last thing and I do have more problems with others than I get results. So, yeah, any help would be appreciated.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The fastest way to build a pet team is to buy level 25 pets off the AH. The fastest way to level up your pets without paying gold is to do daily quest battles in which 2 level 25 pets "carry" a third.

Be aware that the carried pet has to enter the battle in order to qualify for XP though. This can be done by allowing it to enter the battle after one of you other pets dies and then immediately swapping it out, or by swapping out your strong pet and then swapping in your carry for a round (or more).

There are many daily pet battle quests spread across the world, with the best concentration being in Pandaria (I have a route where I can do 9 battles in 45 mins, enough to level up 2 pets from level 1 to level 25, and that is without things like the pet battle event where you get a massive XP bonus for the week). Obviously you'll need to figure out what pet combos and strategies will work to win your battles easily enough that you can afford to carry say, a level 1, in the battle. Also bear in mind that not all the battles are suitable for boosting level 1s (eg the Pandaren Water Spirit), so you'll use those battles to boost you pets in the 10-24 range.

Another good way of getting your number of level 25 pets up is to capture wild pets. Wild pets captured keep most of their level (level 20-25 pets lose 2 levels, level 15-19 lose 1). I always go for blue quality pets and don't bother with the lesser ones. What I tend to do when hunting for wild pets is enter the battle and see if the enemy team has any blues. If my team is sufficiently healed up, I will then capture the blue. If my team is not healed up, I leave immediately, heal my pets and then re-enter the battle when the wild pet respawns a few seconds later. If the wild team has no blue pets, just leave the battle and then kill the pet with my character - attack it with your sword, bow, spell etc, and then move around the area. Killing the pet team that lack blues forces new pets to spawn in the area with a chance of containing a blue. Note that in Draenor, some wild pets cannot be killed except via pet battle.

Anyhow what I found was that I learned as I went. After a few weeks at it you'll pretty much be a pro, understanding what pets to use and how to use them for different battles and you'll quickly be able to build up an army of level 25 pets. Good luck.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2016-04-18 at 10:54 AM.

what raelbo said is a pretty good way of doing it if you wanna get an army quick.

what i would reccoment is the lazy way
    get a Nexus whelpling and wait for the the beakinator to spawn in your menagerie, then solo it with the weather effect and the 3-turn attack, get leveling stones that way then google for teams to beat the other teams and level them with the stones you just got, or by doing world battles.

and if you dont have it, get an addon for your teams, i can reccoment Rematch as you can bind teams to NPC's.

basicly google/wowhead for teams to cheese the different trainers and level the pet's with stones from the menagerie.

If you plan to do pet pvp battles, breeds of your pet will determine 99% of the win rate, some pets come in different types of breed. Meaning that if you have 3 of the same pet their stats might vary some. Like one have balanced stats, and another one have 100% speed, or 100% attack etc. The most expensive breed is the 100% speed breed on some pets, because in pet battle, the pet with most speed always goes first. So if you go first with for example a blind spell, your blind will last 2 of the opponents attacks instead of 1. Meaning that you just destroyed 2 of the opponents pets turn.

There is some addons that can track these breeds which is helpful when collecting good battle pets.

Addons I recommend is PetTracker and PetBattleTeams. With these you can save different teams for different encounters.

I paid a guy to level my pets like 10-15 of them for 500g each. Then I would take two of them (Onxyia and Kun Lai or Mechanical Yeti and a third that was low level) and kill the pet tamers in Pandaria. This would boost a pet or two from like 5 to 25 each day. Once you have a legion of pets you like then go forth and pet battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    The fastest way to build a pet team is to buy level 25 pets off the AH. The fastest way to level up your pets without paying gold is to do daily quest battles in which 2 level 25 pets "carry" a third.
    You can't learn pets higher level than what you have. So you can't learn lv25 pets until you have a lv25 pet.

That said one of the best farmable early pets are the magic eye pets outside Karazhan. I used a Mechanical Scarecrow from Westfall until I could fight those, then I used the eye to catch more eyes until I had a team of them. After that most trainers are a joke.
    Mistweaver Tax noun 1. The effect of both high mana costs, and lack of utility, coupled with requiring specific talent combinations to compete with other healers, while still not being able to compete with toolkits said healers have baseline in any competitive area.

Read this: http://www.wowhead.com/guide=3795/sq...leveling-guide
    If it's not fixed yet you can use this to boost all your pets. Pick a team and fight her all day long

You might also consider installing Rematch, it will put your pets from your level queue into to carry team, so you don't have to do that by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Myta View Post
    You can't learn pets higher level than what you have. So you can't learn lv25 pets until you have a lv25 pet.
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=122457/u...training-stone

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    "What is a fast way to level new pets?"

Trainers. As others have said, Pandaria trainers are best. Tight circuit, easy, you can level a couple pets 1-25 in an hour, faster with practice. Draenor trainers are spread out. Plus, the Spires of Arak and Gorgrond trainers are very tough outs. Not worth the few XP levels for the effort to fly to them and kill them. Also, the daily pet menagerie battle does not reward XP except for the Diablo pet trainer (name escapes me atm). Nuke with 3 lvl 25 pets and collect the leveling stones.

If you can get the leveling stones, go for it. Since you're starting out, your needs will outstrip your supply. But 3 stones per day is 3 levels you dont have to get. Remember to use those on near-max level pets for more efficient leveling.

Tips:
    * Ashlei in Shadowmoon Valley is great for getting lvl 1 pets up quick. She's the easiest trainer ever. If you have an Alliance toon, one minute from Garrison to Ashlei, two minute fight, one minute back, winning.
    * For lvl 25 trainers, use pets lvl 5 or higher. Pets lower than 5 receive less XP when facing max lvl trainers. Plus it's harder to keep them alive.
    * To get pets from 1-10 quick, go to Mistfall Village in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms/Sorrows. The water striders there usually (~60-70% of the time) start the fight by casting Pump, which does not hit your pet. Lvl 1 pet starts the fight, opponent casts Pump, swap your pet out in round 2, nuke the opposition, pet jumps from lvl 1 to 6ish. Repeat then defeat the trainer that's right there (Grandmaster Aki, I think.)

"What are some useful pets I should level?"

Depends on what you want to do.

Capture/collect: Terrible Turnip and Molten Corgi for their "cannot kill" attacks; I prefer the Turnip because Sunlight raises all pets' max health, which means they drop below 30% faster.

Leveling: figure out your trainer teams and work on those. I use Lil' XT and Gilnean Raven on several Pandaria trainers.

PvP: Graves, Ghastly Kid, Bone Serpent, Mechanical Pandaren Dragon, Fiendish Imp, Weebomination, ravens, moths, Stonegrinder, rabbits/hares, Blossoming Ancient, Magical Crawdad, Vengeful Porcupette. That's a good start. Oh, and do NOT get an Anibusath Idol. Vastly overrated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the advice so far. I will try some of this in the next few days.

Save your leveling for the pet battle week event. The general advice above is good, but it'll go 2x to 3x faster during the special week.

Deleted
    And in case you need concrete strategies for pet tamers to boost your pets: http://www.wow-petguide.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    - What is a fast way to level new pets? Simply battle level 23+ pets in Northrend/Pandaria/whatever with a new one and two level 25s? Or is there another way? I do know battle stones exists, but I can't get them reliably with my current team (or I just suck total balls, could also be true).
    Well, each of your toon with a Garrison Menagerie will get a stone that instantly levels your pets to 25. Use that for a few useful pets, then fight level 25 pets with 2 25s and 1 fresh. Doing so on a bonus weekend will mean a lot of 25s with very little effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    - What are some useful pets I should level? I do have access to quite a few, maybe someone of you could take a look or just flat out tell me what to level. Current max level ones: Lil'KT, Lil'Ragnaros, Lil'Deathwing (these 3 were my original party back in MoP), Corefire Imp, Scooter the Snail, Mini Mindslayer, Pierre, Zandalari Kneebiter, as well as an Pandaren Earth Spirit at level 18.
    First of all, this is from a pure PvE perspective. If you want PvP it's a whole different story.

Basically, there is three areas you want to cover:

1 - Chrominus Bomb (Unborn Val'Kyr+Pandaren Water Spirit+Chrominus)

This trio can dish out a burst of about 3k damage, which basically kills everything in the game excluding Lil' Oondasta. Celestial pets in the celestial tournament, pre-nerf Garrison dailys, Tanaan legendary pets... everything. Any time you face one big enemy, this is a surefire way to win it.

2 - One hardcounter to each type

So basically, when fighting pet tamers they usually have a theme running, and you'll want one strong counter to them. That is usually enough to take out 1.5-2 of his pets, leaving you with 2 overall strong pets to finish him off. Here's my own setup, just as an example as to how it can look;

Aquatic - Gilnean Raven / Chi-chi
    Beasts - Clockwork Gnome / Son of Animus
    Flying - Lil' Tarecgosa
    Mechanical - Lil' Ragnaros
    Humanoid - Mr Grubb
    Elemental - Rapana Whelk
    Critter - Xu-Fu / Lil' Bad Wolf
    Dragonkin - Anubisath / Kun-Lai Runt

This is just an example, but these guys have carried me very easily through the PvE content of the game. Some, like Mr. Grubbs against humanoids is just a joke.

3 - Generally strong pets

http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/top-twenty/

There are some pets that are just strong, and good in almost every situation you can throw them in (as long as it's not a hardcounter). Anubisath Idol, for example, has very high health (1725) which works well with the humanoid ability (heal 4% of max hp with each hit), and he also hits like a truck and has useful abilities that can dodge, stun, shield etc. Try to pick up as many of the ones on top20 as possible, as they will become a very good core of pets to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi256 View Post
    Save your leveling for the pet battle week event. The general advice above is good, but it'll go 2x to 3x faster during the special week.
    Yes if you do it during the special week a pet goes from 1 to 25 in only two tamer battles in pandaria. Just get your leveling toons ready. Best way is to open multiple garrisons and get the free level 25 stone for opening the let menagerie. Use stone one an anbisol idol as this pet can solo most tamer battles. Two other good ones is the emerald dragon and a mechanical like the darkmoon tonk and one can then best most anything and level pets galore. If you want to level more in the wild two good places are the the vale by the pet tamer in the city lots of striders so need a flying pet any moth does well here. And in the area with the farm forget name of area but lots of critters in this area so any beast does well. One like darkmoon cub with its heal is good for here.