When is something not considered a spoiler?

Hey I wasn't sure if this would go in tv or not as the specifics are about a pair of tv shows but the general question isn't.

My friend who is a semi professional reviewer was reveiwing the big bang theory episode -it's a game of thrones themed one and on it they 'spoil' GoT the spoilers are for things at least 2 seasons old at this point, and in my mind they did a good job not spoiling anything new, he however docked them marks because some people arn't caught up.

So my question is how long is something in the media considered a spoiler - Would people get mad if i say who Luke's father is or where planets of the apes took place? I would hope not. But what do you think? When is something free game to be referenced and not a spoiler any more.

You could always give a warning like "spoiler alert" if you cared so much.

Deleted
    It can be pretty hard to determine, especially with staggered releases, people who wait till the season is finished to binge watch it, people who started watching the series late for various reasons, etc.

I guess it's reasonable to assume that by the time season 2 comes out, you can expect the average person to have seen season 1.

Though tbh, if you don't want spoilers in this day and age, you have to take preventatives measures.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-04-22 at 07:38 AM.