Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Question Flying vs. Ground Mounts

Which side are you on?

7+ Year Old Account
    i prefer the ground over the sky.

Formerly known as Arafal

Deleted
    Are we talking mounts or ability to ride/fly?

If the mounts themselves, then I am on Team Ground. So many awesome looking ground mounts.

If we're talking ability to ride and/or fly, then I am on Team Flying. I don't want to play without it.

I really enjoy the game much more without flying mounts. I think flying mounts are awesome but only for old "obsolete" content. Either the previous tier or previous expansion. Not that there should be obsolete content, but that's for another thread...

7+ Year Old Account
    most my favorite mounts are flying mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullerick View Post
    I really enjoy the game much more without flying mounts. I think flying mounts are awesome but only for old "obsolete" content. Either the previous tier or previous expansion. Not that there should be obsolete content, but that's for another thread...
    I don't get this one still can use ground mounts all they want if that is what they prefer. But it isn't about what you prefer it is about you making others do as you like isn't it? Except for cata one has never been able to fly till max level. This expansion it was months after max level. After one hits max level who cares if they are flying?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Julmara View Post
    most my favorite mounts are flying mounts
    Exactly for me the headless horseman mount is my favorite since it looks good flying and on the ground. Also took me 6 years to get.
    Almost all of my dragon mounts are my favorites to as dragons look better flying and they took some work to get too.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we are talking about looks, ground wins by miles. #TeamGround has Raptors!

We're talking about effectiveness not looks.

Effectiveness as in what works out for you personally - what is your playstyle?
    Last edited by WhiteEagle888; 2016-04-23 at 02:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, effectiveness Flying Mounts win of course, no way around it. I still prefer only ground mounts.

Deleted
    Ground mounts look better in general. Too many drakes for my liking. The only good-looking proto drake models are timelost(I have a life, sorry) or out of the game (black).
    Hoping for better proto-skins in the future.

The best solution is the one I thought we already arrived to: ground mounts for several months at the start of an expansion, flying mounts a while after the second or last major patch, when world content is mostly consumed and all that's left is the tedium of travel.

Whether or not you should have to complete a comprehensive achievement to get flying is a different question. I don't mind it, personally, since I would have done most of that anyway, but I can sympathize with people who don't want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've enjoyed flying since it was introduced. I wouldn't have cared if the feature was never put in the game,but it was. I think it's unfortunate that it became an issue that people argue over.

I prefer the choice of both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both sides? Depends on content and reason.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I'm a fan of only ground mounts at launch but like the idea of flying introduced later in an expansions life.

I think both have their uses. I'm also pro flying and think the game is much more fun when flying is allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by GameGod888 View Post
    We're talking about effectiveness not looks.
    Why should mounts be judged by one thing? If you're talking effectiveness, then fliers win, because 310% is more than 100%.

But if you're considering other things like world PvP, exploration, and, y'know, making the world feel like an actual WORLD, then ground mounts are far superior.

The world feels really small nowadays because you can just fly everywhere at 310% and reach your destination in minutes. Vanilla felt like a big world because it actually took time to get to places, and you could only travel by air with taxis, which only went to certain points within zones, then you had to go along the ground from there.

And you actually had to be aware of the world around you, instead of just flying 500ft in the air, pointing yourself in a direction, and then hitting your autorun key. You had to avoid mobs, watch out for enemy players, go around the world's terrain, etc.

Flying is more convenient, but it makes the world feel less like a world.

Deleted
    If they were properly designed, there would be some tradeoff between them. In the current design flying mounts are just superior in every way and thus obsolete ground mounts (this is a problem with a lot of WoW's current design). For example, it would be better if flying mounts were significantly slower than ground mounts. That way there is a tradeoff between raw speed and ability to fly over obstacles/mobs. That way you would pick different mount in different situations, rather than always picking the flying mount unless in a no-fly zone.

Only hipsters prefer ground mounts. Flying all the way baby!

While I've always been somewhat against flying, the current plans to let people fly after they've explored everything is great.