Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

The Twitch Phenomenon

DISCLAIMER - I aren't saying there's anything wrong with watching Twitch or gamers

Personally I don't understand the appeal in watching other people play games. I only ever Youtube gameplay footage when deciding to purchase a game or not, however I understand people watch hours worth. I also don't understand why people enjoy listening to random (obnoxious) individuals constantly talking (loud) whilst gaming. It's something I likely will never understand but hey ho that's life, it's obvious there's a market for it. So I am curious what your views are; are you fans or are you like me and left bemused at the appeal

Deleted
    Go to medical periodics. It's already reasearched and proven that many people who watch it feel as if they were playing themselves and there are similar chemical reactions going inside their brain similar to actually being the one who's playing it.

I personally prefer to make vids and stream than to watch them.

Do you like to watch any sport out there?

Thank you, you can now close the thread!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    No I don't

Deleted
    You don't watch the ones you find obnoxious.

Deleted
    Literally replace gaming with sports and you get the answer you're looking for.
    Why do people watch sports instead of playing themselves?
    Why do the viewers enjoy listening to random obnoxious sport commentators?

It's like saying you ever only watch sports before deciding if you're gonna buy the equipment and try it out yourself.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    DISCLAIMER - I aren't saying there's anything wrong with watching Twitch or gamers

Personally I don't understand the appeal in watching other people play games. I only ever Youtube gameplay footage when deciding to purchase a game or not, however I understand people watch hours worth. I also don't understand why people enjoy listening to random (obnoxious) individuals constantly talking (loud) whilst gaming. It's something I likely will never understand but hey ho that's life, it's obvious there's a market for it. So I am curious what your views are; are you fans or are you like me and left bemused at the appeal
    I watch Twitch streamers, but it doesn't fit the stereotype you listed. I watch competitive Dota matches, or high-ranked solo queues. There is never obnoxious/exaggerated talking, mostly analysis of the game.

I agree in that I do not understand the appeal of such annoying gamers like Pewdiepie. I will never understand why people enjoy watching a grown man act like a child and scream at random times. I actually once enjoyed Markiplier (back around 10k subs) because he didn't act like a complete moron. Once he hit around 500k-1m subs, he started catering to the pewdiepie crowd, so I stopped watching Let's-Plays entirely.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't watch streams, but I watch funny gaming channels on youtube... Some of them are hilarious...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    I watch Twitch streamers, but it doesn't fit the stereotype you listed. I watch competitive Dota matches, or high-ranked solo queues. There is never obnoxious/exaggerated talking, mostly analysis of the game.

I agree in that I do not understand the appeal of such annoying gamers like Pewdiepie. I will never understand why people enjoy watching a grown man act like a child and scream at random times. I actually once enjoyed Markiplier (back around 10k subs) because he didn't act like a complete moron. Once he hit around 500k-1m subs, he started catering to the pewdiepie crowd, so I stopped watching Let's-Plays entirely.
    I can somewhat understand competitive pvp game watching (even though it isn't my thing) but watching somebody play single player games from start to finish seems alien to me

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't watch Twitch or anyone stream games but I get why people watch them.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post

Thank you, you can now close the thread!
    That's the most pathetic comparison I've seen here. I watch football (real football, not the american one) because I suport my team and I want them to win every match. How is that the same as watching a random person shout and be anoying while playing video games?

I can somewhat understand competitive pvp game watching (even though it isn't my thing) but watching somebody play single player games from start to finish seems alien to me
    A lot of people watch it because they like the person playing, and find them entertaining, as that's pretty much what those streamers are, entertainers. It can also be fun to watch people play through a game you played and see how they react to things and do things. For example now that i finished dark souls 3, it's fun to see how people react to the different things and to see what they notice that you didn't and vice versa.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    I don't watch Twitch or anyone stream games but I get why people watch them.
    I don't watch that many Twitch streams but I do tend to sometimes, same with Youtube gaming channels.

As a kid growing up in the 80's I tend to look at alot of the YouTube gamers like the old Games Master or Game World shows I used to watch a a kid, the types of shows that are not around anymore. Also they're like video game magazines, where you watch to find out about games that are coming out.

I can't say I watch those outrageous PewDiePie type videos though, those ain't my thing, I don't find them informative at all, I prefer a more critical and journalistic type view on things I watch because I want to find out if they are any good. I have gotten a lot of games thanks to Youtubers and Twitch. So they have been very influential on my purchases and I haven't regretted a single game

I do feel its kind of like watching TV but more of what you like, where as I dont watch TV anymore I mostly spend all my watching time on the internet now, be it Netflix, Youtube or Twitch, I don't really need a TV anymore so I got rid of it. Been TV-less for 2 years.
    Last edited by Orby; 2016-04-23 at 12:05 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

It's not too far away from listening to a radio station with a host, and employs fairly similar skills on the host's part.

Deleted
    its not about watching them playing a game. Its the interaction with streamer and chat, the fun, trolling, cancer and memes. Nobody actually watch the gameplay, its all about the chat.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you look at the majority of what's popular entertainment, you realize a few things about society.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

I don't think the sports analogy is very good at all. Unless you watch sports more for the commentators than the actual players/game.

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    It's not too far away from listening to a radio station with a host, and employs fairly similar skills on the host's part.
    This is more accurate.

I also don't understand why people enjoy listening to random (obnoxious) individuals constantly talking (loud) whilst gaming. It's something I likely will never understand but hey ho that's life, it's obvious there's a market for it. So I am curious what your views are; are you fans or are you like me and left bemused at the appeal
    This is obviously your own personal view. Which while nice is not particularly interesting or insightful.

The very use of language in your post is problematic. "why people enjoy listening to random (obnoxious) individuals constantly talking (loud) whilst gaming.", for example, assumes a position of several qualifiers that are foolish and obvious.

Perhaps a committed viewer does not find Joe Streamer loud, obnoxious or random. In fact, engaging as a viewer necessitates that none of the previous qualifiers could be true if one is a committed viewer.

Twitch streamers and Youtubers are merely entertainment personalities. Audiences engage with such personalities because viewers find them entertaining. Such as radio players, talk show hosts, minstrels, orators, pundits, et cetera of the past.

I don't watch Twitch, I don't understand the appeal. There are a couple of YouTube channels I'll watch, mainly because they rebroadcast fighting game tournaments. The only people I do "follow" are iChaseGaming and EmptyBox. But iChase is an incredibly indepth presenter for World of Warships and his videos break down tactics, hit points, penn v openn, game physics, etc... EmptyBox does the same for SimRacing games.

All the respect to the other guys out there who get suckers to watch their feeds and give them money. They found a niche to get paid, I don't hate the hustle.