Build help. Motherboard/CPU/RAM and Case.

Heya.

So I've been upgrading bits and pieces of my PC. It's gotten to the point where my.current case is very cramped so I figured I'd buy a new case, and grab a new motherboard and cpu etc while I'm at it. This is my first time building from scratch. I'm looking for advice on what parts I'm missing, and what would work well with what I have. I'm also looking for a case that will have a decent amount of space so it's not all cramped inside.

I'll be using it for gaming (on as high graphics as I can), video editing and perhaps lightly streaming.

Pieces I'm keeping;
    MSI Nvidia GTX 970
    Corsair RMi850 (850w)
    1 SSD
    2 HDD

Things I'm wanting:
    Motherboard
    CPU
    RAM
    Case
    CD reader and memory card etc.
    Anything else I may have forgotten. This is my first time doing a build from scratch.

Will I need a new wireless card or anything aswell? Or will my old one still work? I rarely use wireless but it's handy to have should I need to move my pc where there's no wired connection.

Thanks in advance. I'm open to all advice. As I said it's my first time doing a build from scratch so I'm very much a newbie to this.
    Last edited by Merixa; 2016-05-03 at 10:10 AM.

Need to know your budget first
    What kind of case are you looking for? Full Tower? Mid Tower?

your wireless card is probably pci 1.1 so it should work in any motherboard, the real limiting factor will probably space depending on the motherboard and case.
    Last edited by Cornix0; 2016-05-03 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornix0 View Post
    Need to know your budget first
    What kind of case are you looking for? Full Tower? Mid Tower?
    My budget is not over £1000 if it can be avoided. Erm I don't really know for the case, I just want one where it all fits with room to move. In my current case my gtx 970 is right up against the hard drives and with the wires it's a mess to get things in and out. I'm looking for a case where I can avoid this tight squish. I'm guessing that would lean against full tower but I really am a noob to this.

If I can get this build to work however from now on I'll be always upgrading pieces myself so really need one with the space to easily switch and change stuff like graphics cards and hard drives.

Newbie question: I have windows 10 on my SSD. Will I need to reinstall windows into this drive once I replace my motherboard? I'm guessing yes and if so, will I need to wipe the SSD first to do it?
    Last edited by Merixa; 2016-05-03 at 10:25 AM.

It is preferred to reinstall windows 10 on a new system, I dont think it will matter whether you do it before or after. I think it would be easier to do the reinstall after putting the new computer together and booting with the windows disc.
    Just to be clear you bought Windows 10 itself or upgraded from a version of Windows 7/8/8.1 where you bought the actual OS rather than a pre-installed version of Windows.

With a £1000 you can pretty much get what ever you want.
    Heres my quick opinion: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/H3bqLk
    I dont think you really need to drop alot of money on something like i7-6700k, the i5-6600k is more than enough for most games and since you are keeping basically half a computer's budget from your old build you can probably go more fancy on the case or get more ram. I tried to keep it simple with a normal Full Tower and air cooling. The case I picked has a built in SD card reader. Make sure you look at the size of the Full Tower, comparing it to the size of your current case.

how much video editing do you do?

Thank you for the suggestions.

I upgraded my windows from 7 to 10
    I just spoke to Microsoft and apparently I just need to wipe my ssd and then once I got my new stuff plugged in reinstall 7 and i will be at to upgrade to 10 again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    how much video editing do you do?
    Mainly just for WoW boss kills for the guild for now. I just finished a degree in animation and vfx so I can do a bit more than the windows movie maker ;p

Oh for video editing maybe a i7-6700 might be more appropriate and maybe more RAM, but thats up to you for how intensive the type of work you might be doing in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornix0 View Post
    Oh for video editing maybe a i7-6700 might be more appropriate and maybe more RAM, but thats up to you for how intensive the type of work you might be doing in the future.
    I'm currently at work so I can't give exact specs. I know atm in my pc (which I used for the last 4 years built for my university course) I have an i7 and 16GB ram. I'm guessing I'll need something similar. My current stuff works fine for now but as I said it's 4 years old and as I'm desperately in need of a new case for my gtx 970 I might as well get new shinies for another 4 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd do something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (£329.99 @ Novatech)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£64.67 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard (£161.17 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£50.57 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case (£74.99 @ Novatech)
    Total: £681.39
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-03 13:26 BST+0100

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I'd do something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (£329.99 @ Novatech)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£64.67 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard (£161.17 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£50.57 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case (£74.99 @ Novatech)
    Total: £681.39
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-03 13:26 BST+0100
    I like the case on that list however I have one issue. I'm still going to need a cd drive and this case doesn't seem to allow one. Unless I am mistaken.

Phanteks has ,some awesome cases, like http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/phan...ase-phes614lbk I got a different model and they are a pleasure to work in, they tend to get great reviews too.

Quote Originally Posted by Merixa View Post
    I'm currently at work so I can't give exact specs. I know atm in my pc (which I used for the last 4 years built for my university course) I have an i7 and 16GB ram. I'm guessing I'll need something similar. My current stuff works fine for now but as I said it's 4 years old and as I'm desperately in need of a new case for my gtx 970 I might as well get new shinies for another 4 years.
    hey just curious, what i7 is that and what motherboard?