Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Because at the end of the day, the refugees aren't the real issue here. There's no question that the crisis has been handled abysmally, but how does taking your ball and going home make things any better, especially given the many obvious economic effects that breaking up the EU would have? Admittedly, I have no dog in this fight and am just a curious observer, but I do have a modicum of respect for Europe and I don't want to see it descend to the level of Cartman politics.
    "Respect for Europe"? Europe isn't one country. It's a continent with a lot of countries, people don't identify as "European".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Yeah, our politicians didn't expect it to go this path. We currently have a eurosceptic party in the government and 3 others in the parliament.
    That's the direct result of the <insert insulting adjective aimed at the intelligence of the...> voters, who put these incompetent politicians into power in the first place.
    Liberal voters put Liberal politicians into power. And liberal politicians mostly wear blinkers due to their ideologies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Taking in a handful of refugees hurts them more than all the help they've received?
    They didn't need the help, then why did they take the money?
    That is bullshit and you know it.

These countries are going to take the fine and they will like it.
    Because it's still a gigantic net profit to stay in the EU.
    If it is only a handful, then why does Germany or whoever not just keep them? Germany is extremely wealthy, far wealthier than those other nations, so it is not like they can not afford it and do not have the room.

Or is it because they are trouble and a political nightmare, so Germany wants to disperse the problem?

Hmm...I wonder.

The Sweden Democrats, for one, strongly opposed military intervention in Libya and were propagating for solely providing humanitarian aid instead.
    Were they the ruling party at that point?
    Was any of that said by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, or the Prime Minister, or anyone holding an official government position? (Sweden is a parliamentary monarchy, so you don't have a president am I right?).

You should probably vote for those Sweden Democrat guys more. They seem like they have a clue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Who's ready to watch the EU collapse?
    I am not. Not yet. I still want to move within the EU and I can't have it collapse before that.

Deleted
    Taking in a handful of refugees hurts them more than all the help they've received?
    They didn't need the help, then why did they take the money?
    That is bullshit and you know it.

These countries are going to take the fine and they will like it.
    Because it's still a gigantic net profit to stay in the EU.
    Oh? Do you have empiric proof, which supports this adventurous claim? Or is it your liberal gut feeling acting up again?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Woe View Post
    That's the direct result of the <insert insulting adjective aimed at the intelligence of the...> voters, who put these incompetent politicians into power in the first place.
    Liberal voters put Liberal politicians into power. And liberal politicians mostly wear blinkers due to their ideologies.
    What...? We actually had a referendum about joining EU, in which joining won by a majority. If the politicians or the people had known what it would mean in the future, to join back then, I doubt they would have opted to even do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Because at the end of the day, the refugees aren't the real issue here. There's no question that the crisis has been handled abysmally, but how does taking your ball and going home make things any better, especially given the many obvious economic effects that breaking up the EU would have? Admittedly, I have no dog in this fight and am just a curious observer, but I do have a modicum of respect for Europe and I don't want to see it descend to the level of Cartman politics.
    No, the refugees are the problem.

They are toxic politically, nobody wants them. They create havoc wherever they go, except funnily enough, the places that made sure they only got to handpick the ones actually in need who would be grateful (Britain) or lucked out and got ones who fitted into existing local communities (Cyprus and Malta).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PassingBy View Post
    Were they the ruling party at that point?
    Was any of that said by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, or the Prime Minister, or anyone holding an official government position? (Sweden is a parliamentary monarchy, so you don't have a president am I right?).

You should probably vote for those Sweden Democrat guys more. They seem like they have a clue.
    Our minister of foreign affairs didn't support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    It is not up to me to research your claim.

So provide the data that shows Sweden - not any other country, just Sweden, I have no idea why you mentioned France, Britain or Germany - provided arms and funds to overthrow Assad and Gaddafi. Or pipe down.
    Did I say that Sweden provided funds and/or arms to overthrow Syrian or Lybian government?
    There was some kind of misunderstanding between us.

All I said is that countries, with which Sweden is a part of a political, economical and military union did, and are still doing it right now.
    And Sweden didn't oppose that. And did nothing to stop it, or to distance itself from those countries and the decisions they were making.

While Sweden as a part of UN and EU did have a way to express its disagreement with said military and economic support to those coups.

That's it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    If it is only a handful, then why does Germany or whoever not just keep them? Germany is extremely wealthy, far wealthier than those other nations, so it is not like they can not afford it and do not have the room.

Or is it because they are trouble and a political nightmare, so Germany wants to disperse the problem?

Hmm...I wonder.
    Germany is wealthier indeed. And Merkel sure fucked this up. But cost of living is also higher then in the east of Europe.
    I'm not familiar with the numbers but isn't the amount of refugees a country needs to harbor based on their populace and economics?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because we're in this together and everyone has to carry their weight?
    In what together? Which agreement did the EU nations sign saying that refugees would be dispersed?

The Dublin agreement was that only the first member state should deal with the refugee, which is the opposite of what is happening, so when exactly did we agree to all get into the refugee crisis together? Enlighten me.

Deleted
    Did I say that Sweden provided funds and/or arms to overthrow Syrian or Lybian government?

All I said is that countries, with which Sweden is a part of a political, economical and military union did, and are still doing it right now.
    And Sweden didn't oppose that. And did nothing to stop it, or to distance itself from those countries and the decisions they were making.

While Sweden as a part of UN and EU did have a way to express its disagreement with said military and economic support to those coups.

That's it.
    Except we had plenty of people expressing disagreement, from the parliament and our minister of foreign affairs didn't support it either.

10+ Year Old Account

That's it.
    You said that Sweden was at fault, as you have not provided evidence of that, then pipe down.

Yeah, it would be just fine if China forced other countries to abide by their laws too, right?
    What? Are you in a union with China? you joined the EU, you werent forced into it or accidently became a member, you've got every democratic opportunity to leave the EU aswell.

Crying about the EU changes nothing, if anything you should ring the doorbell on everyone in your country who's pro-EU and curse them out for ruining your country, altho your own elected goverment have taking in far more refugees than the EU would ever force upon you.

Deleted
    What...? We actually had a referendum about joining EU, in which joining won by a majority. If the politicians or the people had known what it would mean in the future, to join back then, I doubt they would have opted to even do it.
    I'm not talking about that time.
    I'm talking about the liberal policies in Sweden, then this Migrant problem began. Nobody can predict that far in the future, that the EU would turn into a Soviet-like Apparitschick within a few decades.

Our minister of foreign affairs didn't support it.
    I vastly recall Mr. Bildt being a big supporter of the rebels.
    I might be mistaken.

http://www.proletaren.se/examination...olvement-syria

Found an article on some swedish website. Don't know if it should be trusted or not, not a big expert on swedish political forces.
    This one seems communist.

"Respect for Europe"? Europe isn't one country. It's a continent with a lot of countries, people don't identify as "European".
    Even us moronic Americans are well aware that every continent is composed of multiple countries, but expedience dictates that we must refer to them collectively from time and time and Sweden is no more a special snowflake than Burkina Faso in this regard.

Deleted
    I vastly recall Mr. Bildt being a big supporter of the rebels.
    I might be mistaken.

http://www.proletaren.se/examination...olvement-syria

Found an article on some swedish website. Don't know if it should be trusted or not, not a big expert on swedish political forces.
    This one seems communist.
    You're linking a communist webpage as a source...? Really? No, he wasn't a supporter, he had a "Wait and see" stance on the whole thing. He didn't support either side, for which the left-wing in Sweden gave him shit for.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're linking a communist webpage as a source...? Really?
    TBH he has some sort of disclaimer.