Page 1 of 25
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Was Warlords of Draenor is the worst expansion in WoW's history?

I used to be a avid WoW subscriber since vanilla, took few breaks here and there in between content but always a consistent raider / pvper.

I personally didn't enjoy just about anything about WoD, hence I quit when Blackrock Foundry was launched and never came back.

Am I just experiencing burnout or was WoD really that bad?

Probably some burnout as is expected after playing the game for so long (I'm right there with you), but WoD was just a terrible expansion that didn't meet many peoples' expectations. I played for a couple months on Nostalrius and can confirm that my passion for the game is not dead... it's just that current WoW has become a shell of its former self.

There are a ton of reasons why people don't enjoy the game anymore and the forums are littered with posts discussing those reasons.

Warlords was worse than Cataclysm, which is quite an achievement!

WoD was horrible. 2 tiers is pathetic and calling 6.1 a patch just lol.

imo wod was not bad. raids were really good. problem is tannan patch, it was a great patch with a great raid but knowing that was the last patch before the expansion suckd. garrison wasnt that bad. what i hated was the shipyard specially that it was required for the legendary ring hence i only got the ring on my main. not doin that shipyard shit on every alt

Is that even a question? Not for me though. I really hate WoD and for all I know Legion is not going to be any better, sadly.

I personally think Cata is worse. Cata did nothing to think outside the box, and as far as I'm aware there was no new content paths whatsoever added with the expansion.
    Remember, this is the expansion that still had the helm/shoulder enchants that were only obtainable by wearing a Tabbard and grinding the rep in dungeons that started off overtuned and ended up undertuned.

The raids (outside of the first tier) were a joke as well. Ragnaros of Firelands may have been the best boss of the expansion if not the entire game, but Dragon Soul and Firelands barely add up to more bosses then HFC.

If you ask me, 90 percent of the resources in Cata were used on restructuring the leveling content, which WAS needed so that's a swing point. You either love it or hate it.
    The only true amazing addition that came with the expansion was the Cross realm tech and Transmog! Cata was also the first expansion that equated the difficulties of Raiding, and LFR was also a Cata thing.........

Either way, there was also some MAJOR cut content with Cata. There was meant to be an entire raid set in the Abyssal Maw, and it just never happened. They announced it at Blizzcon (ala the things that were cut in WoD) and just never said anything about it again until Dragon soul was on the PTR.

At least with WoD, we have all the new tech MoP added, all the new content paths like Pet Battles, Brawlers Guild, Proving Grounds, and of course Challenge Mode (my favorite addition to the game ever) as well as some actual new tech like heirloom tab, premade group finder (best feature of the expansion hands down) 20 man fixed sizes.

Overall, WoD is just vastly superior for me, mostly because Cata did almost nothing to expand upon the base game other than things that weren't needed or ended up being changed down the road.

But don't get it twisted - WoD under delivered incredibly.
    But at least it added something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Is that even a question? Not for me though. I really hate WoD and for all I know Legion is not going to be any better, sadly.
    You must not know much. You should read this site. Legion alpha already has more than all of WOD had for its 2 years.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by montana View Post
    imo wod was not bad. raids were really good. problem is tannan patch, it was a great patch with a great raid but knowing that was the last patch before the expansion suckd. garrison wasnt that bad. what i hated was the shipyard specially that it was required for the legendary ring hence i only got the ring on my main. not doin that shipyard shit on every alt
    The issue was Tanaan was supposed to be a fucking launch zone and was cut out during Summer 2014. Also the Garrison was crap. It was supposed to shut us up about player housing by giving us our own fortress and it was pitiful. Loads of different designs were scrapped that were near finished and originally we were supposed to be allowed to have it any zone. Just a couple of examples.

People always seem to think that the current expansion is the worst one ever. At least the masses on here and other forums. Each have their own pitfalls and successes, WoD seem to have a lot more pitfalls then normal though and less successes. To put it another way thanks to the token the game has been free for me for over a year now and will be for at least 2 more and at times I still felt ripped off.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    People always seem to think that the current expansion is the worst one ever. At least the masses on here and other forums. Each have their own pitfalls and successes, WoD seem to have a lot more pitfalls then normal though and less successes. To put it another way thanks to the token the game has been free for me for over a year now and will be for at least 2 more and at times I still felt ripped off.
    I actually liked MoP during that xpac and Cata was my first one so I enjoy it very much.

The problem with WoD is its very short. Cataclysm was good vanilla cataclysm, rework of zulgurub and "rework" of zulaman, firelands and worst final patch ever (dragonsoul). I like WoD but was really short expansion (lot of stories without end; what and who are the faras, Farahlon, and who was the new master and the book of Chogall?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    I personally think Cata is worse. Cata did nothing to think outside the box, and as far as I'm aware there was no new content paths whatsoever added with the expansion.
    Remember, this is the expansion that still had the helm/shoulder enchants that were only obtainable by wearing a Tabbard and grinding the rep in dungeons that started off overtuned and ended up undertuned.

The raids (outside of the first tier) were a joke as well. Ragnaros of Firelands may have been the best boss of the expansion if not the entire game, but Dragon Soul and Firelands barely add up to more bosses then HFC.

If you ask me, 90 percent of the resources in Cata were used on restructuring the leveling content, which WAS needed so that's a swing point. You either love it or hate it.
    The only true amazing addition that came with the expansion was the Cross realm tech and Transmog! Cata was also the first expansion that equated the difficulties of Raiding, and LFR was also a Cata thing.........

Either way, there was also some MAJOR cut content with Cata. There was meant to be an entire raid set in the Abyssal Maw, and it just never happened. They announced it at Blizzcon (ala the things that were cut in WoD) and just never said anything about it again until Dragon soul was on the PTR.

At least with WoD, we have all the new tech MoP added, all the new content paths like Pet Battles, Brawlers Guild, Proving Grounds, and of course Challenge Mode (my favorite addition to the game ever) as well as some actual new tech like heirloom tab, premade group finder (best feature of the expansion hands down) 20 man fixed sizes.

Overall, WoD is just vastly superior for me, mostly because Cata did almost nothing to expand upon the base game other than things that weren't needed or ended up being changed down the road.

But don't get it twisted - WoD under delivered incredibly.
    But at least it added something.

- - - Updated - - -

You must not know much. You should read this site. Legion alpha already has more than all of WOD had for its 2 years.
    Yeah legion alpha definitely has a lot more to do, I can see you have reasons to do things past the first 3 weeks unlikely wod, where it died off very quickly into nothing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    I'm in Alpha and the first big roadblock to ever enjoying Legion is the removal of the old character models, this abomination of new fem nelf model staring at me like a fucking zombie.., more "fill a bar" quests, the massive ability pruning, removal of active buffing and things like shaman's water shields, yet another flying drama in the making, the still unimaginative "implementation" of Timewalking, more removal of old content, Legendaries galore, etc. Unfortunately, everytime I look stuff up on mmo-c or the forums this list is getting longer and longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I actually liked MoP during that xpac and Cata was my first one so I enjoy it very much.
    There are plenty of people that like each on for various reasons. I for example really enjoyed Cata because I had a great time doing the first 2 seasons of RBGs. Now Cata was also the first expansion I stopped playing during and let my sub lapse since I started playing heavily. So even in the same expansion I am conflicted on the quality. The forums though or /trade is filled to the brim with people slinging mud letting everybody know how shitty they think the game is. It is like dozens of lame versions of the "who's coming with me" part of Jerry Maguire. If you are extra lucky you get to see the same sad bastards do that performance each month as they subscription time ticks towards zero.

- - - Updated - - -

The issue was Tanaan was supposed to be a fucking launch zone and was cut out during Summer 2014. Also the Garrison was crap. It was supposed to shut us up about player housing by giving us our own fortress and it was pitiful. Loads of different designs were scrapped that were near finished and originally we were supposed to be allowed to have it any zone. Just a couple of examples.
    What they told the fans and their own direction with the expansion was muddled and confused. They kept preaching that garrisons wouldn't be forced on players or required, but to do anything in the game you had to do them. Eventually you had to max them out so you could build a shipyard and sail off to Tanaan. There seemed to be a lack of communication at every turn too. The same week they came out and said they shouldn't have called 6.1 a major patch and that we had only really gotten 1 major patch with 6.2, another twitter post from a developer comes out saying how they don't understand ppl saying they weren't getting anything since they just gave us our 2nd major patch.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The issue was Tanaan was supposed to be a fucking launch zone and was cut out during Summer 2014.
    You start in Tanaan. One would say that is the "launch zone" they also said at the BlizzCon that it would be later patch content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say Warlords, due to the lack of content alone, is by far the worst expansion. I wanted to like it. I was one of the few fans who liked the idea of adventuring in an alternate Draenor. I thought the Garrisons were a great idea.* Then the cancellation of an entire island, raid tier(s), capitol cities and an abridged shipyard set in and it all turned to pot.

*If there had been more content outside of the Garrisons, I don't think as many people would have minded them.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    You start in Tanaan. One would say that is the "launch zone" they also said at the BlizzCon that it would be later patch content.
    They cut it as a zone in Summer 2014. Original idea was we would help the Bleeding Hollow that had rebelled against Kilrogg and the Jungle would be full of dangers. Farahlon should have been the 6.2 zone imo but well WoD was a mess.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-05-08 at 03:18 AM.

It's close, but it gets the win.

In the least amount of words possible:
    Yes.