Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    A prenup is not an indicator of someone focusing on their personal wealth when they get married. It's them focusing on their personal wealth should they get divorced. It's the pragmatic thing to do, you know, when pragmatism has already been thrown out the window by the whole getting married bit.
    Or you're afraid that your marriage is going to go south before it even starts. There's arguments for both being for and against them and apparently the women in this article was against it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Some people just don't believe in them. I understand we have many people on this forum who believe that people are just getting married for money these days, but not everyone is focused on their bank accounts when it comes to marriage.
    If anything, a prenup means that your focus ISN'T money, since it takes the money out of the picture should a divorce happen.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post

This girl has a pretty impressive record. And she's only 35. She's definitely a hustler.

- Ph.D Princeton University (2008), major in Electrical Engineering, minor in Operational Research & Financial Engineering
    - Published 14 papers in top-tier international scientific journals
    - VP of New York Life Insurance handling over $550 billion dollars in assets
    - Author of three novels
    - Has released two albums of piano solos
    - Part time fashion designer for Calvin Klein
    - Holds 6 U.S. patents
    - Gave 8 presentations in international scientific conferences
    - Freelances photography for own photography business
    - Pokemon World VG tournament 3rd place finish 2010

Holy crap, the guy was a moron. This woman is hot as the day is long, smarter than most people I've ever known, and generous to the needy.

Prenups are smart. ESPECIALLY when you're as wealthy and accomplished as this woman. At higher levels of a corporation, they are sometimes even required so that a divorce doesn't f about with the company's stock.

My guess would be that the man in question wanted far more generous terms (in case of divorce) than was within reason. And she made the right call.

I'll say it again, whoever this guy is, he's a fkng idiot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    If anything, a prenup means that your focus ISN'T money, since it takes the money out of the picture should a divorce happen.
    also this. 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    Holy crap, the guy was a moron. This woman is hot as the day is long, smarter than most people I've ever known, and generous to the needy.

Prenups are smart. ESPECIALLY when you're as wealthy and accomplished as this woman. At higher levels of a corporation, they are sometimes even required so that a divorce doesn't f about with the company's stock.

My guess would be that the man in question wanted far more generous terms (in case of divorce) than was within reason. And she made the right call.

I'll say it again, whoever this guy is, he's a fkng idiot.

- - - Updated - - -

also this. 100%
    A VP of the largest mutual life insurance company in the US is not going to marry some poor guy without substantial assets. I suspect the disagreement have more to do with the non financial aspects of the prenup. Probably right to the children in case of divorce, religion, etc.

7+ Year Old Account
    Or you're afraid that your marriage is going to go south before it even starts. There's arguments for both being for and against them and apparently the women in this article was against it.
    Life is the King Midas to everything but it gets turned shit rather than gold. You can't predict anything, much less everything. There's no piece of ass, male or female, worth the risk of losing anything in a divorce.

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    This woman is hot as the day is long, smarter than most people I've ever known, and generous to the needy.
    Definitely smart but a far cry from anything resembling "hot" (as in fugly).
    Last edited by Mistame; 2016-05-09 at 08:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Life is the King Midas to everything but it gets turned shit rather than gold. You can't predict anything, much less everything. There's no piece of ass, male or female, worth the risk of losing anything in a divorce.
    I'm not claiming there is but there's always more to divorce laws than the people here would let on to. I've had the joys of going through a divorce where nearly everything was handled by me. When it came time for the day in court my ex-wife was awarded nothing..the judge came right out and told her that she contributed nothing to the marriage and she gets nothing out of the divorce. Divorce isn't the way it used to be.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not claiming there is but there's always more to divorce laws than the people here would let on to. I've had the joys of going through a divorce where nearly everything was handled by me. When it came time for the day in court my ex-wife was awarded nothing..the judge came right out and told her that she contributed nothing to the marriage and she gets nothing out of the divorce. Divorce isn't the way it used to be.
    And I've been through one myself where we both started with nothing, she never worked I brought us out of the gutter. Then, after we agreed on terms, her lawyer (a feminist) tried to bully her into taking me for everything and paying alimony. Luckily my threat of taking custody of our daughter straightened her out. But not everyone (male or female) is so lucky.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I've been through one myself where we both started with nothing, she never worked I brought us out of the gutter. Then, after we agreed on terms, her lawyer (a feminist) tried to bully her into taking me for everything and paying alimony. Luckily my threat of taking custody of our daughter straightened her out. But not everyone (male or female) is so lucky.
    Not quite sure what that has to do with feminism other than a buzzword. She had a lawyer that was going to go for the throat...that's to be expected if the divorce was messy. Which is seemed to be if you were threatening with custody of the children. One could only imagine how much different it would be if there was actual civility in their divorce proceedings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    A VP of the largest mutual life insurance company in the US is not going to marry some poor guy without substantial assets. I suspect the disagreement have more to do with the non financial aspects of the prenup. Probably right to the children in case of divorce, religion, etc.
    Being a VP isn't that super impressive, a friend of mine that I went to undergrad with became a VP for Bank of America at 28.

Third place at a Pokemon tournament is impressive, though.

Basically most of my peers are as accomplished as this chick. She's probably a hard worker and has a generous heart, which is indeed the most impressive thing about the story.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Being a VP isn't that super impressive, a friend of mine that I went to undergrad with became a VP for Bank of America at 28.

Basically most of my peers are as accomplished as this chick. She's probably a hard worker and has a generous heart, which is indeed the most impressive thing about the story.
    There are 3 different types of VP at fund managers, she was probably EVP, which is the lowest level (the real fun begins at MD level)

But combine that with the novels, the patents, the music and everything else, and that's a damn good resume, better than most of the people I know (including the CEOs)

I basically know 0 people that accomplished. The VP job is really the 2nd least impressive to me, right above her photography business.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I basically know 0 people that accomplished. The VP job is really the 2nd least impressive to me, right above her photography business.
    She certainly has a lot of varied interests

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Why are you making the assumption based on her race that Jinxz was stereotyping? Couldn't it possibly have to do with:
    The irony of this... there's a Jinx pokemon that was a racist stereotype.

10+ Year Old Account

Eh, being a VP of a large corporation at 28 is pretty far ahead of the curve. I'm 32, my boss is a VP. I'm being groomed for his position (promoted last week, actually), and I'm already in the top 5th percentile for income in the US. That's pretty far ahead of the curve. Being a VP at BofA at 28 is breaking the damned curve.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Good for her for doing something nice for people. I saw this yesterday on Reddit upliftingnews when it was relatively new, had about 20 comments on it at the time, whenever somebody jumped in and said glad to see everyone judging her to be a bitch for not signing a prenup, somehow it ended up being one of the top comments, with 1 comment even hinting anything like that.

But I looked up the 2010 competition and don't see her listed in the competition.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi..._Championships

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    stop stereotyping minorities
    Oh man, how'd I miss gem!

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, being a VP of a large corporation at 28 is pretty far ahead of the curve. I'm 32, my boss is a VP. I'm being groomed for his position (promoted last week, actually), and I'm already in the top 5th percentile for income in the US. That's pretty far ahead of the curve. Being a VP at BofA at 28 is breaking the damned curve.
    Yeah, getting to be a VP at a large company at a young age is actually pretty impressive. Being a VP at a small company -- well, that's likely another story. Job titles always have to be balanced between the size of the companies. I'm several titles away from VP but I'm betting I make more than most VPs at small companies.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not quite sure what that has to do with feminism other than a buzzword. She had a lawyer that was going to go for the throat...that's to be expected if the divorce was messy. Which is seemed to be if you were threatening with custody of the children. One could only imagine how much different it would be if there was actual civility in their divorce proceedings.
    Pay attention. We had already agreed on terms. Her lawyer went for the throat because that's what she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    There are 3 different types of VP at fund managers, she was probably EVP, which is the lowest level (the real fun begins at MD level)

But combine that with the novels, the patents, the music and everything else, and that's a damn good resume, better than most of the people I know (including the CEOs)
    Yes, she is an EVP for one of their EVGs. All the acronyms.

I don't want to go into detail about this particular person on a public forum, she is a smart girl and I am happy for her success. I say it's not super impressive because of a lot of reasons. But when you see someone promoted this quickly, particularly without an MBA from a top tier university, there have been some outside influences to her success.

Although really you can find people with similar titles who went to schools like Ohio State and are clearly under 35 so shrug.

I don't want to crap on her, but I'm with Celista. She's got a really nice resume, I'm sure, but some of the stuff isn't really all that hard. There's a vast difference between writing a couple novels and actually having novels that people want to read. Same story with the piano albums. These are hobbies, which is cool, but it's not really that hard to have some cool hobbies, especially when you have the money to indulge yourself a bit.

Quoting papers, conferences, and patents is all kinda... well, yeah, that's what you get when you do research, particularly in engineering. It's impressive in the way that most Ph.D.'s in STEM fields are impressive, but it's far from unusual.