Women Swept The 2015 The Nebula Awards, science fiction books

I guess that group trying to push for books written by white males wasn't successful.

Mad Max won the movie of the year, I agree with that.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/women-swept-t...rds-1776706665

The science fiction world has had its share of drama with the Hugo Awards as various slates have worked aggressively to push against the growing numbers of women and people of color appearing on award ballots. The Nebula Awards have demonstrated, for two years in a row, that science fiction and fantasy literature remains a strong, inclusive body of literature.

Here are this year’s winners

(Bold indicates category winner)

Novel
    ·Uprooted, Naomi Novik (Del Rey)

·Raising Caine, Charles E. Gannon (Baen)

·The Fifth Season, N.K. Jemisin (Orbit US; Orbit UK)

·Ancillary Mercy, Ann Leckie (Orbit US; Orbit UK)

·The Grace of Kings, Ken Liu (Saga)

·Barsk: The Elephants’ Graveyard, Lawrence M. Schoen (Tor)

·Updraft, Fran Wilde (Tor)

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    Nice, it's worth giving them all the awards every year if it means we don't have to hear social justice and feminism complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Nice, it's worth giving them all the awards every year if it means we don't have to hear social justice and feminism complaining.
    Agreed. Just let 'em have it. I need peace and quiet for a change.

Personally I'm sick to death of YA fantasy winning mainstream awards. YA basically means that no character is a full fledged adult, no character has an adult sex life, nobody uses foul language and relationships are simplistic. Doesn't anybody write gritty adult fantasy any longer? Or is it just that the majority of readers prefer simplistic sanitized kid fantasy so that's where the money is?

Quote Originally Posted by Binko View Post
    Personally I'm sick to death of YA fantasy winning mainstream awards. YA basically means that no character is a full fledged adult, no character has an adult sex life, nobody uses foul language and relationships are simplistic. Doesn't anybody write gritty adult fantasy any longer? Or is it just that the majority of readers prefer simplistic sanitized kid fantasy so that's where the money is?
    In my experience "gritty" is just a different kind of child's fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I guess that group trying to push for books written by white males wasn't successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    various slates have worked aggressively to push against the growing numbers of women and people of color appearing on award ballots.
    Oh, that's what they were pushing for. Here I thought they were pushing back against inclusiveness at the expense of...you know...giving the awards to the people who deserved it the most. Thanks for clearing that up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binko View Post
    Unless you have some bizarre definition of "mainstream awards" that doesn't include the Hugo or Nebula, you pretty obviously haven't been reading the winners for the last couple years.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Oh, that's what they were pushing for. Here I thought they were pushing back against inclusiveness at the expense of...you know...giving the awards to the people who deserved it the most. Thanks for clearing that up.
    So, you think White Men deserve it the most?

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    So, you think White Men deserve it the most?
    I think the color of a person's skin and the contents of their crotch shouldn't have a say in whether or not they deserve it. But when you've got quotas to fill, I guess that's too much to ask.

I think the color of a person's skin and the contents of their crotch shouldn't have a say in whether or not they deserve it..
    That I can agree with, merit should be the only metric. However...

But when you've got quotas to fill, I guess that's too much to ask.
    Since art is a subjective medium, there are people who will always think that there is something wrong because who they thought should be on the list isn't on that list. And it's thoughts like those that make statements like the above become suspect in terms of intent.

So the question then becomes, what does merit look like in a subjective platform?