Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    While that is true, is it really a fair argument to make? Cars are pretty damn ubiquitous, i'm sure the amounts of households that don't have one is a very small percentage.

How bout housing, i bet insurance for that is mandatory too, and you don't "have" to buy/rent it either.
    lots of people in the city down own a cars, it's a terrible comparison to begin with. If you can't afford or don't want a car/car insurance you don't buy one. If you can't afford or don't want health insurance you get fined.

10+ Year Old Account
    It helped me personally so yeah, not a fan.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Honestly you won't see me complain if this goes away because to me it's the grand giveaway of money to the healthcare corporations. Still something has to take its place even if we have to Change the Medicare programs to be more single payer like. Something has to take its place we can't just go back to the old system of no system

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh View Post
    I don't like the idea of damned if you do damned if you don't scenarios. Especially when the direct effect of that is an industry that's already overstuffing its pockets stands to become more profitable as a result. In order for a system to become mandatory AND sustainable, either the initial costs must be increased, or the profiteering must be controlled.
    But it is NOT profitable. Its not about increasing profits. If you read the article you wouldve seen that United Healthcare LOST $500 million last year on health insurance exchange plans last year. That is why they are pulling out

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    You are hit with a penalty fine if you don't get healthcare. That is not a tax.
    And if you choose to take the penalty, you're likely still paying less than someone who does get healthcare.
    Quite frankly such fine is perfectly okay, because why should the tax payers pay for your medical expenses when you fall ill and cannot cover the costs anymore.
    Things like cancer, heart disease, and an array of other medical conditions do not discriminate on age. Everyone can get those.
    Not to speak about severe injuries through accidents.
    And all of that, just because you don't want to fathom the monthly costs for healthcare?
    The Supreme Court upheld ObamaCare on June 28, 2012. The final ruling on ObamaCare was a made by Supreme Court Judge Vinson. The basic idea of the ruling was that ObamaCare was declared a tax and not a mandate, and was therefore declared constitutional.

The ruling also let states opt-out of expanding Medicaid. Almost half of the U.S. States opted out of expanding Medicaid in 2014 (as of October 2013) leading to 5.9 million of our nation’s poorest without access to affordable health insurance.
    If it was a penalty, it would be unconstitutional and would have been killed off then and there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    If it was a penalty, it would be unconstitutional and would have been killed off then and there.
    errr...
    https://www.healthcare.gov/fees/fee-...being-covered/
    If you can afford health insurance but choose not to buy it, you must pay a fee called the individual shared responsibility payment. (The fee is sometimes called the "penalty," "fine," or "individual mandate.")
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    lots of people in the city down own a cars, it's a terrible comparison to begin with. If you can't afford or don't want a car/car insurance you don't buy one. If you can't afford or don't want health insurance you get fined.
    Wiki says there are quite some cities where 15%+ of households do not own a car, so apparently owning a car in the US isn't as ubiquitous and necessary as people would have me believe.

Still i really don't see the problem with forced health insurance, i'm sure there is some tax break or welfare support for low income households. Over here the basic package is essentially free for low incomes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wiki says there are quite some cities where 15%+ of households do not own a car, so apparently owning a car in the US isn't as ubiquitous and necessary as people would have me believe
    There are a few cities in the US that have a decent infrastructure of public transportation.
    Most cities do not have such.
    And the more rural the region the more the car becomes a must have. There's no way around it.

Wiki says there are quite some cities where 15%+ of households do not own a car, so apparently owning a car in the US isn't as ubiquitous and necessary as people would have me believe.

Still i really don't see the problem with forced health insurance, i'm sure there is some tax break or welfare support for low income households. Over here the basic package is essentially free for low incomes.
    It isn't free, its being paid for by the middle class

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see Obamacare end and us put some true government subsidized health care in its place. It would be far better than the Republican "Idon'tfuckingcare" plan.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

ACA wasnt meant as a long term plan. It was just the beginning to single payer.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Isn't car insurance mandatory? I'm also pretty sure the government does limit what cars you can buy/drive, and you do get a fine or worse if you break those rules.
    Not everywhere. New Hampshire doesn't require insurance and has pretty low taxs which is why my family always registers their vehicles there. It's also much more convenient to do your DMV stuff at the townhall which takes 5 minutes vs 2+hours at inefficent DMV dungeon.

Deleted
    low incomes pay their share of taxes too over here. and obviously due to the nature of insurance, taxes, welfare and stuff like that some get more out of it then others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's one for you..
    The Middle Class does not exist. It is nothing other than a feel good term.
    But in reality there are only 2 groups... Those with and those without enough money.

I sincerely hope it doesn't collapse or get repealed. I'd rather not go back to a world where a genetic heart condition precludes me from being able to pay to see the doctor for a sinus infection. I'd prefer if we all, as a country, put on our big kid pants and pass single payer instead. I think maybe at this point the alternate reality wing of the conservative movement may even be willing to do that if it means killing the ACA.

low incomes pay their share of taxes too over here. and obviously due to the nature of insurance, taxes, welfare and stuff like that some get more out of it then others.
    They pay a much lower tax rate than middle class

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    But it is NOT profitable. Its not about increasing profits. If you read the article you wouldve seen that United Healthcare LOST $500 million last year on health insurance exchange plans last year. That is why they are pulling out
    Nothing to add to this conversation, just wanted to point out how dumb your avatar is lol. You know two terms is the limit and Obama isn't running for reelection right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    Nothing to add to this conversation, just wanted to point out how dumb your avatar is lol. You know two terms is the limit and Obama isn't running for reelection right?
    But Fox News told us that Hillary is just Obama in white face!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing to add to this conversation, just wanted to point out how dumb your avatar is lol.
    Hey, on the bright side, he knows how to change it.

Deleted
    It would make some good television though if the newly elected president got to fire the current president.