Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Glue would stick pedestrian to self-driving car after collision

I'm not sure if I believe this or not. I don't know if I'd want some confused wino stuck to my car.

http://www.mercurynews.com/drive/ci_...f-driving-cars

In a world with self-driving cars, Google envisions the inevitable: accidents involving pedestrians.

But the firm is exploring an unusual solution. Think flypaper.

The company received a patent Tuesday describing a way to reduce pedestrian injuries in an accident with a robotic vehicle. The impact of the crash, Google suggests, would expose a coating that glues the person to the front of the car.

"The adhesive layer may be a very sticky material and operate in a manner similar to flypaper, or double-sided duct tape," the patent said.

In its patent, Google acknowledged that robot cars will hit pedestrians -- until the technology gets to the point that the vehicles can "avoid all accidents."

Today, when a car runs into a pedestrian, it often carries the person along until the driver brakes, throwing the victim from the vehicle, possibly leading to further injury as they hit the road or some other hard surface, or get hit by another car, the patent said. But that doesn't have to happen.

"The front region of the vehicle may be coated with a specialized adhesive that adheres to a pedestrian, and thus holds the pedestrian on the vehicle in the unfortunate event that the front of the vehicle comes into contact with the pedestrian," the patent said. "The adhesion of the pedestrian to the vehicle may prevent the pedestrian from bouncing off."

An eggshell-like layer covering the adhesive would protect the sticky surface during everyday driving, but shatter in an accident to reveal the glue.

Google isn't the first to think about new ways to protect pedestrians from cars. Two major car companies have come up with systems of their own. Some European Jaguar models use small explosive charges to push the car's hood up several inches in a collision with a person, softening the victim's impact. In Volvo's V40, a "pedestrian air bag" deploys along the base of the windshield, where struck pedestrians often suffer head injuries.

The Google patent comes at a time of rising pedestrian traffic fatalities, with preliminary data suggesting a 10 percent increase nationally last year from 4,884 deaths in 2014, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association. Distracted driving, and more cars on the roads, are probable factors behind the increase, said association spokeswoman Kara Macek.

A Google spokeswoman said the existence of a patent doesn't necessarily mean a new product is coming. "We hold patents on a variety of ideas," she said. "Some of those ideas later mature into real products and services, some don't."

Stanford School of Law professor and autonomous car expert Bryant Walker Smith praised Google -- once he stopped laughing about the patent.

"The idea that cars should be safe for people other than the ones in them is the next generation of automotive safety," Smith said. "Manufacturers have gotten remarkably good at protecting the occupants of the vehicle, but there's been much less attention to protecting the people outside. I applaud anybody for thinking, as they should, about people outside of the vehicle."

But, Smith said, Google's patent highlights a problem central to safety engineering: solutions create their own concerns. Air bags save lives but can cause injury or death, for example, and seat belts sometimes keep people restrained when they'd be better off ejected, he said.

"If you had a pedestrian stuck on a car that then crashed into something else, that could be worse than if the pedestrian was thrown to the side or thrown over the car. It could also be better. It's very dependent on the chaos of the situation," Smith said. "The history of progress is replacing one set of problems with another set of problems and just really hoping that your new set of problems in aggregate is less than your original problem."

As for removing a pedestrian stuck on a car's hood, the patent included an option to use a "releasable adhesive" that would allow the person to be unstuck "after a period of time."

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Like Katamari Damacy for cars.

This has to be the dumbest idea ever

Deleted
    Lel, this is how I am going to get me some women!

This is a great argument for why you should have to at least design a potentially workable prototype before patents are granted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Lel, this is how I am going to get me some women!
    Sort of like the stone ages without the clubbing, I like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    Like Katamari Damacy for cars.
    Perfect! I would love to see this! lol
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess they are assuming rear-engine cars or electric ones? Because the hoot of my car gets pretty fucking hot after a lot of driving, both from the sun and engine heat.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I see this glue being applied to shady looking vans and ice-cream trucks in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a bit of a silly idea but all it's got me wondering about is how the hell are you supposed to clean your car? Splattered bugs are already a bitch and a half to scrape off now lets add adhesive in the mix.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't want to be glued to a car just to avoid injury from the car stopping completely. It almost sounds more dangerous to be stuck on the car.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I wouldn't want to be glued to a car just to avoid injury from the car stopping completely. It almost sounds more dangerous to be stuck on the car.
    Yeah, what if the person hits the gas and drives away from the scene?

"sorry can't come to work"
    "why not?"
    "got stuck to my car, adhesive doesn't let me go for 3 hours"

Why not program those cars not to hit people or pad them instead?

- - - Updated - - -

Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to be engineers. Imagine getting long hair glued to it.

Deleted
    hahahahhaha

this would make hit and run accidents oddly fun and strange

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I guess they are assuming rear-engine cars or electric ones? Because the hoot of my car gets pretty fucking hot after a lot of driving, both from the sun and engine heat.
    Are any of the self driving cars not at least hybrids? Though most were hybrids or wholly electric.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Why not program those cars not to hit people or pad them instead?

- - - Updated - - -

Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to be engineers. Imagine getting long hair glued to it.
    They are. It takes a while. They're already safer than human drivers.

So many ways to use this in pranks >
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    This is a great argument for why you should have to at least design a potentially workable prototype before patents are granted.
    you dont need a prototype currently, but you do typically need a fleshed out design. A lot of the time people will still need to present a prototype for proof of concept for patent approval.

I do prototype design/engineering for my profession

OT as someone with a background in car design, I'm on the fence on this. it addresses preventing injury upon collision but now we have to get the person OFF the adhesive and onto a stretcher without injury. now if it water soluble adhesive, then no problem.

In any case, its still a concept of a possible solution to a problem. It will create many many more issues though, cost, weight, maintenance. Id rather just go with impact foam and improve vehicle collision detection. We'll probably sort out pedestrian collision detection systems before we get to a point we need this adhesive covering because of self driving cars.
    Last edited by Ornerybear; 2016-05-19 at 02:19 PM.

Hit a deer? The deer is now yours to bring home.

Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade View Post
    So many ways to use this in pranks >
    Ya, this is a really stupid idea. "Eggshell covering" means that it's now even easier to ruin a paint job. As a bonus, the paint job is now even more expensive!