10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I'd say it was 'practice mode' up until they revamped the custom game system. Now, if someone really wants to play around and not fight to win then they can go and join any of the myriad games in the custom game lobby designed for that purpose. Or create their own.

I don't bother with competitive beyond the initial placement matches. I don't find it enjoyable at all - and Overwatch isn't the sort of game I want sucking up a lot of my gaming time anyway. I have FFXIV for that.
    Yeah, odd that dicking around is somehow less fun when it's not at the inconvenience of others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    QM is fun mode and practice mode, You are not suppose to get Ranked rewards just for showing up. You get to practice in an environment where people are not suppose to take it so seriously. If you want gold weapons you are going to have to put more effort into the competitive end of things.
    QM also didn't use to have hero limits. Things change in an effort to improve the game. Adding an incentive to win in QM, just like in Arcade and Comp, would be a way to improve it. If you're putting in the effort to win, you're not just showing up. That's the whole point. QM is a clusterfuck and perhaps needs to be revisited given all of the new modes added to the game where you can practice more freely.
    Last edited by Daws001; 2017-06-07 at 11:24 AM.

Deleted
    Picked it up again last week after almost a year of no Overwatch at all. While Quick Play still makes me want to kill kittens, I have been having so much fun with the game again. I've been trying to focus on a small set of heroes this time in order to actually improve at them, so sticking to Soldier, D.Va, Winston, Lucio and Zen. With the occasional Hanzo in between because I can't let go of my archer fantasies .

Have been having a lot of success with them. I feel like those heroes are generally in a good place, especially since so many teams run 4 or more back line squishies or flankers, which I just feast on as Winston in QP.

Also, Orisa on defense at King's Row A and Eichenwalde A is incredible. That strong shield on such a short CD and her almost complete lack of bullet spread makes her so easy to just pick up and enjoy.

Avoid Competitive so far, I just don't believe it will be any different from QP and I can't be bothered to be frustrated. It frustrates me already if I see Genji, Hanzo, Widow on my team (which honestly is more than 80% of all games).
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2017-06-07 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daws001 View Post
    QM also didn't use to have hero limits. Things change in an effort to improve the game. Adding an incentive to win in QM, just like in Arcade and Comp, would be a way to improve it. If you're putting in the effort to win, you're not just showing up. That's the whole point. QM is a clusterfuck and perhaps needs to be revisited given all of the new modes added to the game where you can practice more freely.
    I don't know where you came up with this fantasy that people in QM are not trying to win even though they are there to practice and have fun. Hint: you can do both. Otherwise people would just stand around dancing the whole game. Yeah there will be gruefers but there are griefers in comp mode too.

I do arcade mode first for 3 free loot boxes and since I am playing for rewards and since I have to win to get rewards I want to win and I won't stay if someone on the enemy team takes the flag first and I will leave a Mayhem match if I am put on the attacking team because defenders win in overtime 90% of the time. I need 9 wins and I don't have the time to sit around all day fucking around for potential wins. I can keep refilling teams until I get a sure thing.

That's what happens when you put win requirement rewards in the game. QM is supposed to be where you can go to practice toons you are not good on. There are enough piss pots in there screaming angrily at people for sucking without adding extra rewards to encourage more toxicity and stepping on the value of competitive mode rewards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I'd say it was 'practice mode' up until they revamped the custom game system. Now, if someone really wants to play around and not fight to win then they can go and join any of the myriad games in the custom game lobby designed for that purpose. Or create their own.

I don't bother with competitive beyond the initial placement matches. I don't find it enjoyable at all - and Overwatch isn't the sort of game I want sucking up a lot of my gaming time anyway. I have FFXIV for that.
    Again, they are practicing winning, I don't get where you guys have dreamed up this illusion that people practicing are not trying to win.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

So fucking tired of Genjis in QM. A half decent Genji can carry so hard. I wish they'd lower the damage of his basic attack a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't call QP "practice mode" but it's definitely the place to practice new heroes or strategies. I have given myself the rule that I am not allowed to play my two most played heroes there anymore, to force myself out of my comfort zone and learn new ones. But I'm still always trying to win, it just may be more difficult because I'm a shitty Reaper and there isn't enough reaping happening.

Personally, I don't care that much about winning in QP because it's where I expect to see the guy who has 16 minutes on Genji trying to get better, but that's still the ultimate goal of the mode and the objective everyone is working towards. Personally, I have encountered very few QP matches where people weren't playing the objectives in an effort to be successful. The difference is that, unlike in comp, they are less likely to sacrifice their personal goals for why they queued for the benefit of the game. If they joined QP specifically to practice on Roadhog, they're probably not going to swap to a barrier tank even if that might give a better edge to winning.

But no one is saying that people shouldn't try to win, or that people don't try to win. That's part of what practice is. I think the issue is people are seeing folks say "practice" and are equating that with "this is the place to fuck around and not bother trying and ruin the experience for your teammates." While I agree even in QP people should do right by their teammates, I think it's a big jump to go from the former to the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    Avoid Competitive so far, I just don't believe it will be any different from QP and I can't be bothered to be frustrated. It frustrates me already if I see Genji, Hanzo, Widow on my team (which honestly is more than 80% of all games).
    IMO Competitive is a lot better than QP as long as you're not bottom of the barrel SR. Even if you don't care about rank or golden gun points or whatever, I would recommend trying it once you have time and experience on a handful of characters. Generally people communicate better, try harder, and are much more likely to swap off their pet heroes to play things that the team needs. Of course, people also have a little more invested in the game so the pressure is higher, but the games really just seem to be a lot higher quality, anywhere from high bronze and up.

The more I play Competitive, the more I see how big of a divide there is between Comp and Quick Play. I still have fun in QP and still play a lot of games there, but you see dumpsterfire comps there much more often. Of course, as I said above, that's because a lot of times people are there to practice certain heroes that don't always work.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    IMO Competitive is a lot better than QP as long as you're not bottom of the barrel SR. Even if you don't care about rank or golden gun points or whatever, I would recommend trying it once you have time and experience on a handful of characters. Generally people communicate better, try harder, and are much more likely to swap off their pet heroes to play things that the team needs. Of course, people also have a little more invested in the game so the pressure is higher, but the games really just seem to be a lot higher quality, anywhere from high bronze and up.

The more I play Competitive, the more I see how big of a divide there is between Comp and Quick Play. I still have fun in QP and still play a lot of games there, but you see dumpsterfire comps there much more often. Of course, as I said above, that's because a lot of times people are there to practice certain heroes that don't always work.
    Good points, with the double XP weekend and the coincidental day off I had on Monday, I'll run my placements and have a go. I'm not the best FPS player in that my aim is a bit shoddy, but I know the heroes and their overall weakness, I know the maps pretty well and I enjoy coordinating a team effort as opposed to watching everyone dick around.

10+ Year Old Account
    But no one is saying that people shouldn't try to win, or that people don't try to win. That's part of what practice is. I think the issue is people are seeing folks say "practice" and are equating that with "this is the place to fuck around and not bother trying and ruin the experience for your teammates." While I agree even in QP people should do right by their teammates, I think it's a big jump to go from the former to the latter.
    You should still be playing to win, but "I'm gonna keep playing Widow because I need to practice if I wanna use her in Comp" is "playing to win", if you're doing your damndest to shoot people in the head.

You can't blame that player for not playing a healer or tank; you've got 5 other players, including yourself, who could all do so.

Deliberately throwing is a different beast, and should be punished regardless of where you're playing. Even in brawls. But practicing with a hero you're bad at isn't "throwing", if you're honestly trying to improve.

I really suggest people try Competitive. I've been in Gold-Plat, which is fairly average, and the match mechanics are more balanced in Comp. You don't need to worry (much) about being a "tryhard"; you should make hero choices to help the team win, but you're gonna be grouped with people at a similar rank anyway. It's a better game mode than QP, and in my experience, surprisingly non-toxic. Most games open up with a few folks saying "hi" in voice chat, even if we shut up for the rest of the game.

I won't solo queue in games where there's any appreciable expectation of toxicity. I don't play MOBAs as a result, not unless I'm being pulled in with friends. But my entire career in OW has been solo queue, and while you occasionally run into a toxic player, it's relatively rare IME.

10+ Year Old Account
    Comp can be good, but it can get very samey, as it's similar compositions with the same heroes over and over. It is by no means perfect, you see a lot of the same shit all the time; people not focusing healers, shooting into tanks who just get outhealed. Wiping a team only for Mercy who was hiding to appear and res everyone. Then when people don't pick the 'right' heroes, you end up painfully low on DPS, or 2-3 people flanking when their whole 6 stack are actually right there on point. Then there's the Tracer/Genji/Pharah are hard to shoot, so it's clearly someone else's responsibility crowd...

Unless you're having a good day, I wouldn't suggest spending all your time in there. I'd also suggest getting good at dealing with those 3 specific heroes yourself, because it seems like no one else is going to much of the time.

Think I lost 6 won 3 today, ended up back literally where I started; which is fine I guess, it's still a net climb.

Also had my first "I'm gonna throw if you play Widow... oh wait you have 160 hours on her, okay." today, they let me get on with it. Didn't win, because again, I'm stuck fighting Tracer (and coping), but I went Zen for the last stretch, others switched about and we ended up with 1 support somewhere along the line but we still needed the damage, and she just got back to destroying me.

Starting to think Tracer and Genji shouldn't have the "hard to master" defence, if Widow can't have it; seems unfair they should too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I don't know where you came up with this fantasy that people in QM are not trying to win even though they are there to practice and have fun. Hint: you can do both. Otherwise people would just stand around dancing the whole game. Yeah there will be gruefers but there are griefers in comp mode too.

I do arcade mode first for 3 free loot boxes and since I am playing for rewards and since I have to win to get rewards I want to win and I won't stay if someone on the enemy team takes the flag first and I will leave a Mayhem match if I am put on the attacking team because defenders win in overtime 90% of the time. I need 9 wins and I don't have the time to sit around all day fucking around for potential wins. I can keep refilling teams until I get a sure thing.

That's what happens when you put win requirement rewards in the game. QM is supposed to be where you can go to practice toons you are not good on. There are enough piss pots in there screaming angrily at people for sucking without adding extra rewards to encourage more toxicity and stepping on the value of competitive mode rewards.
    I want QM to evolve from how you perceive it. For it to better mirror comp but w/o the pressure of placements, tiers, sr, climbing, losing streaks, etc. Depending on how serious Kaplan was with his statement regarding cosmetics in comp, allowing players to earn comp points in QM (at a lower rate + no end of season reward) could be a way of drawing players out of comp who really don't want to be there. I think it should be more than a place to practice heroes and winning.

Unranked and Ranked modes perhaps. Move QM to the Arcade. I do like the shorter matches, though... Could be a way to get more comp point cosmetic items too (again, depending on how serious Kaplan's statement was).

Anywho, just tossing ideas out. I've been playing pretty hard this week, steadily climbing up the plat chain. Hit another all-time high tonight. Good times. I took Monday off so I can take advantage of this bonus xp weekend because it turns out I have quite of a lot of stuff left to get (two skins and a bunch of dances). Naturally I have like 1k gold to my name
    Last edited by Daws001; 2017-06-08 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I won't solo queue in games where there's any appreciable expectation of toxicity. I don't play MOBAs as a result, not unless I'm being pulled in with friends. But my entire career in OW has been solo queue, and while you occasionally run into a toxic player, it's relatively rare IME.
    Bit OT, but if this is really your only reason not to play MOBAs I would still recommend HotS, as the bolded part holds true for me in there as well. (I play a few matches almost daily or at least several times a week, in case you might think it's just lack of playtime.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twen View Post
    Bit OT, but if this is really your only reason not to play MOBAs I would still recommend HotS, as the bolded part holds true for me in there as well. (I play a few matches almost daily or at least several times a week, in case you might think it's just lack of playtime.)
    That is true actually. I guess HotS is less popular among children and russians or something, but the community there is way way way less toxic than say Dota 2 or LoL. Then again, it's also like 50 times smaller.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Starting to think Tracer and Genji shouldn't have the "hard to master" defence, if Widow can't have it; seems unfair they should too.
    Yea cause they are also snipers that oneshot people from backline. One of the silliest comparisons in a while. Both Genji and Tracer would be free kills without their "hard to master" defences, rendering both champs obsolete on higher levels of play. Of course they still could work on gold/plat where people can't hit a wall.

- - - Updated - - -

Tbh I'd say Comp is better even if you're at the bottom. At least people occasionally care about winning. Just don't take it too seriously. There are the attack junkrats and whatnot probably in nearly every game but it's no reason to get mad over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Janz View Post
    That is true actually. I guess HotS is less popular among children and russians or something, but the community there is way way way less toxic than say Dota 2 or LoL. Then again, it's also like 50 times smaller.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea cause they are also snipers that oneshot people from backline. One of the silliest comparisons in a while. Both Genji and Tracer would be free kills without their "hard to master" defences, rendering both champs obsolete on higher levels of play. Of course they still could work on gold/plat where people can't hit a wall.

- - - Updated - - -

Tbh I'd say Comp is better even if you're at the bottom. At least people occasionally care about winning. Just don't take it too seriously. There are the attack junkrats and whatnot probably in nearly every game but it's no reason to get mad over it.
    Yeah I'm talking about the defence of "It's okay for Genji and Tracer to be so strong because they're hard to master", while "Widow is weak because she's hard to master, but in the right hands could..." Well, in an awful lot of people's hands, Tracer and Genji do. Yet somehow that's okay?

Is this down to the 'if I had my chance to fight back' fallacy?
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2017-06-08 at 06:36 AM.

Deleted
    Why are all people saying that awesome sentence "It's only QP" almost always low ranked?

In ranked games these are the guys saying "It's only a game" probably.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JajaBongs View Post
    Why are all people saying that awesome sentence "It's only QP" almost always low ranked?

As because, as already said countless times in this thread. It is only QP. People are there for different priorities beyond 'win at any cost'; it's more like 'Win, but with this hero I'd be berated for for using in comp, so don't use them there; but enjoy them all the same'. Or 'Get good with this hero so I can take them to comp'. Or 'I'm with a group of friends and while it'd be nice to win, we're just enjoying ourselves for now'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JajaBongs View Post

Quick Play is only quick play, it back-fills leavers and pits better players against worse with the idea to even them out eventually over the course of several games, meaning singular games aren't meant to be anywhere near as even as competitive games are.

When I enter quick play it's because I want something more relaxed than competitive, where I don't feel stressed out if I don't perform to my potential. I do silly things like Torbjörn on attack payload, or Symmetra on Control maps because it's fun and sometimes even works. It's not meant to be taken seriously, that's what competitive is for.

Played a bit more competetive towards the end of last season and doing placement and starting this season.

Lot more flaming and toxicity than QP; sure it may not be the most festering part of the internet; but more rounds than not at some point there was a player on one of the teams flinging insults or passive agressive bullshit. I'll admit I was surprised at it; as I didn't remember OW ever being so... negative... previously. Certainly makes QP more appealing though, I guess I'm too thin-skinned, it really lessens my enjoyment of a game where you have to put up with man-children getting so pissy so much. More often than not it isn't even directed at me but it's enough to make me feel like doing something else than put up with our Roadhog calling our Hanzo a piece of shit who should kill himself or suchlike.
    *sigh*

Muting chat works but after a few rounds the game gets boring without any communication. I like saying GLHF and GG etc. at the start of rounds. Just my nature I guess.

That aside though, still having quite a lot of fun and the new skins from the anniversary were awesome and plenty enough to keep me playing a few more rounds. Double XP this weekend so I think I know which game I'll be favouring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    My theory of OW toxicity is that it's worst on lower ranks. Why? Because the most toxic people drop down there even if they are mechanically better players, because they constantly destroy the team morale by being all around toxic, ruining their own chances of winning. Probably don't even realise that. At least from what I remember from gold/plat, there was way way way more toxicity than in high diamond / low master. After almost every loss someone would flip out and start bashing teammates, trying to blame others for the loss. Higher my rank got, less toxic players. Though by watching some top500 streamers on twitch sadly it seems like there's your occasional toxic asshat even there.

I'm having a blast on Symmetra in QM. I'm giving no shits and play extremely aggressively with her. Basically flank and sneak behind the team, and then going straight for the supports. It works so well in QM.

Many hilarious moments where I am just cracking myself up, like hiding in the Eichenwalde tower waiting for a Zenyatta to walk by and jumping down like a bat from hell just to see them turn around in surprise while dying. Then their teammate turns around to see what happened only to die as well. So much fun.

Honestly it is too easy sometimes. I'm not sure if there even is any mmr in QM, it just seems very random and average to me. It's gotten to the point where I'll leave defense maps trying to get an attack map for more of a challenge. It's just so funny to me to be the first person as Symmetra to manage to push through Hanamura or Anubis gates, especially if that team was just complaining about the Symmetra pick. I have noticed not many people complain about Symmetra anymore though which is awesome.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I'm having a blast on Symmetra in QM. I'm giving no shits and play extremely aggressively with her. Basically flank and sneak behind the team, and then going straight for the supports. It works so well in QM.

Many hilarious moments where I am just cracking myself up, like hiding in the Eichenwalde tower waiting for a Zenyatta to walk by and jumping down like a bat from hell just to see them turn around in surprise while dying. Then their teammate turns around to see what happened only to die as well. So much fun.
    That's how I play Winston in QP when I notice the opposing team has the usual Hanzo-Widow backline. Take the widest flanking route to avoid their inevitable Sombra and Tracer (because a team with 2 snipers is best rounded out with 2 lone wolfs) and then jump on them from above and watch them crap their pants before they melt.
    Bonus points if you ult in mid-air so they hear you roar before they see you.

Another reason why I need to play Competitive, I'm teaching myself bad QP habits

It's too easy, too much fun and a guaranteed game winner. It takes their snipers out of the game completely because after 2 deaths from above they start getting paranoid. Especially if you manage to pounce on them right out of their spawn.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2017-06-08 at 12:01 PM.