Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Is Europe lurching to the far right?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36150807

So I was perusing some European news outlets and came across several different articles addressing this topic. This is a sensitive topic with high potential to turn into ideological mud flinging so let's try to narrow things down a bit. Instead of debating weather or not you support/oppose this sort of thing, let's discuss if the resurgence of European nationalism is, in fact, real. Does it have staying power? Will it have any significant effect on the politics of the continent as a whole?

10+ Year Old Account
    I can only speak for the UK and to a lesser extent Cyprus - I know absolutely nothing about Maltese politics - but not in those two countries. Both have centre right administrations and will likely have variations of centre left/centre/centre right for the forseeable future.

Quick guis, post topics about migrants.
    That will teach them!

7+ Year Old Account
    Under a many-party system you only need maybe 30% of the votes to win most political races? The most monolithic side has the advantage.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-05-29 at 03:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't quite understand why people tend to associate far right with nationalism. Far right simply means a very strong focus on free market with little to no control over corporations and such, it doesn't have to feature nationalism.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Over some Muslims fleeing genocide. You might get some "Europeans" with loud voices but the same way that I do not want them to think Donald Trump speaks for all of America is the same way I am sure they do not want these loud voices to speak for them.

Every country has bigots and does not like change. There are legitimate concerns with Muslim culture and how they view women's rights and the role of religion in government but that is a constructive discussion that can be had.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    There are legitimate concerns with Muslim culture and how they view women's rights and the role of religion in government but that is a constructive discussion that can be had.
    Lol, no. Expresssing disrespect based on religion can get you thrown into prison in Sweden and just talking about problems related to immigration means people will try to shut any discussion down by behaving like this instead of talking:

They don't want to talk. They just want to be in a position where they can feel good about themselves.
    Last edited by mmocfb6c003936; 2016-05-29 at 03:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Lol, no. Expresssing disrespect based on religion can get you thrown into prison in Sweden.
    Meh, a Swedish prison.

They are like Butlins, only not quite so depressing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Meh, a Swedish prison.

Prison is still prison, you can't exactly continue your life as you did outside.

Hopefully so.

"Europe for Europeans"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Fascists should be marginalized, ostracized, bullied and on the occasion, decked. Their ideology is a cancer in our species.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Bigots don't deserve debate.
    War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Diversity is strength.

Deleted
    This is what you get when any criticism against current political situation results in you being labeled: racist, sexist, islamophobe, misogynist etc.

This is how Political spectrum should be viewed:
    http://www.peakeverythingonline.com/...2694137333.jpg

But if Liberal media start acting like the issue is like this:
    http://postimg.org/image/7r1po8knv/

Then you have no right to be suprised when 80% of population has a reason to be pissed at you.
    You cant guilt trip everyone into submission.

Deleted
    I think it is turning more to nationalism that will cause the eu to break apart.

It is telling that I felt angry birds the movie was one of the most honest media pieces I have seen on the Immigrant crisis to date... though to be fair I could of been projecting my beliefs onto the main antagonist Mud beard...

Deleted
    I certainly hope so.
    The most cultish and the most brutal far right i want. Not because i share their views but you know, with those leftist trash you need someone just as mad to counter them.

A union under the current ideology is something i dont want, i hope it disbands, and maybe east EU will create a new union with Russia, a union under nationalist rule and a consolidation of armies. Let the west keep their cultural enrichment if they dont have a loud voice to oppose it, and wont drag these corrupt politicians through the dirt in the streets.
    Last edited by mmoc96b81ade63; 2016-05-29 at 06:03 AM.

Europe is radical left in my opinion. They are far from rightwing.

Deleted
    No way. I've lived in the UK most of my life and spent the last few years traveling the rest of Europe, we are definitely mostly left and a lot of the places that are right are on their way to becoming left leaning.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36150807

So I was perusing some European news outlets and came across several different articles addressing this topic. This is a sensitive topic with high potential to turn into ideological mud flinging so let's try to narrow things down a bit. Instead of debating weather or not you support/oppose this sort of thing, let's discuss if the resurgence of European nationalism is, in fact, real. Does it have staying power? Will it have any significant effect on the politics of the continent as a whole?
    Why narrow it down to Europe though? US has the same problem, so does a large part of the world...
    Tougher economic times do that to the world it seems, it's been like that since forever.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Deleted
    Yes. I started with Stalin and his right wing party. After that Russian goverment has influenced the people in Europe and soon all they have is communism and all the other right-wing thingies.

Progressive political structures are invented and need to be maintained. When those structures don't provide for the needs of their charges, the charges find a less progressive structure that does the job but for fewer people. Essentially, as long as Europe continues to fall behind in providing for the needs of its people, the more those people will turn toward more simple power structures to supply their needs.

So yeah, it is lurching far right in a manner of speaking. It will either bottom out and reorganize in a territory war, or improvements will be made in engaging more of the needs of their charges.

Deleted
    I can only speak for the UK and to a lesser extent Cyprus - I know absolutely nothing about Maltese politics - but not in those two countries. Both have centre right administrations and will likely have variations of centre left/centre/centre right for the forseeable future.
    Highly debatable. The election of Corbyn to the Labour party indicates a dramatic shift to the left, and the far right UKIP won a majority in the euro elections.

Unless there is some actual improvement in the economy I could only see a continuing radical divergence.

- - - Updated - - -

Meh, a Swedish prison.

My mother was kept in a swedish prison briefly during the war when her family fled occupied poland. She speaks about it as if it was the happiest time of her life.