Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Warcraft Movie Now Poised to Make $30M from International Opening

In one of 11 international markets, Germany, Warcraft become the biggest opening day for any movie released in the country this year with $2.2 million. The film pulled in $2.8 million in Russia, which was good for the second-best opening day of 2016, ahead of Captain America: Civil War and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but behind Deadpool.
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/aft.../1100-6440282/

Warcraft ticket sales in France amounted to $1.5 million (for Wednesday and Thursday). The other international markets, whose box office numbers were not mentioned in the report, include Austria, Denmark, Egypt, Hungary, Indonesia, Lebanon, Switzerland, Thailand, and the UAE.

Warcraft will open in nine more countries this weekend, including Norway and Sweden. It comes to China on June 8, and ticket sales in that country could be boosted by the fact that popular Chinese actor Daniel Wu is in the movie, Deadline said. Wu plays Gul'dan in Warcraft.

The film comes to the US on June 10. A recent projection said it would make a modest $25 million during its opening weekend, placing it in third or fourth place

According to Variety, Warcraft had a budget of $160 million. Director Duncan Jones has in the past talked about ideas for two further movies, but also acknowledged that he may not get the chance if the first one comes up short.

"I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed after this," Jones said about Warcraft back in July 2015. "And if it goes well, I am pretty convinced that [Blizzard story and franchise director Chris Metzen] and I have a very good idea of what story we can tell in three films, given the opportunity."
    Well, hopefully Warcraft does good internationally, so that sequels can expand the Warcraft Universe and improve on where the first movie fell short.

EDIT: 30 Million, not 3. Fixed it
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2016-05-27 at 07:52 PM.

Hmmm... 3 million doesn't actually sound like much in today's terms. I know in the US, a big blockbuster opens to 50 million +

That said, opening revenues are more about hype and expectations than about quality. Like, how many were excited to see the movie before any of their friends came back talking about it. So now we see how it does based on buzz and those first reactions.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

That doesn't sound something to brag about.

Deleted
    Well i love the game's, i cry bloody murder over the books and with the movie it's just cringe and face palming experience form me. I would rather have had money/work spent on nearly anything else then a revitalize our main title gimmick witch it feels like.

Deleted
    Didn't it already make like 9.3million in 11 countries?

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like this staggered release was done to hide poor opening weekend performance. I can't think of any other reason to have a half dozen different premier dates in various countries over a three week period.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    But it's clearly a flop

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I feel like this staggered release was done to hide poor opening weekend performance. I can't think of any other reason to have a half dozen different premier dates in various countries over a three week period.
    If it is a bad film you advertise the shit out of it and open everywhere at once. Then you make millions before the buzz dies. You don't stagger openings in an effort to mask a weak opening. If it is bad people won't go when it opens elsewhere.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Uefa euro starts in 2 weeks in europe, maybe thats somehow related to the earlier releases in most european countries.

Yes because they knew in advance it will open poorly. You clearly can see in future better than any other dime a dozen internet expert...

I honestly don't understand how the hell you can release a movie several weeks apart, I mean... do they not want it to do well?

Same goes for X-men: Apocalypse.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    Hmmm... 3 million doesn't actually sound like much in today's terms. I know in the US, a big blockbuster opens to 50 million +
    in germany the cinema-charts are usually determined by the number of visitors, so it's hard to find a comparable number

How is that possible? 4 people's opinions days before it came out told me it was only 40 percent worth my time?
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    Yes because they knew in advance it will open poorly. You clearly can see in future better than any other dime a dozen internet expert...
    Well buddy, I never claimed to be an expert or see the future... The multi-billion dollar movie production companies that bankrolled the movie though... I would assume they know a marginal amount about movies, premieres, trends, etc., you know, just a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Uefa euro starts in 2 weeks in europe, maybe thats somehow related to the earlier releases in most european countries.
    Hearing this I would say that's a very good reason to release early in those areas.

Stay salty Warcraft-haters.

Unfortunately, in mu country movie doesn't go out until 10th June
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    How does this equate to it doing poorly? Genuinely curious on the reasoning.
    You release it everywhere, it doesn't do well... All of movie news headlines are "Warcraft flop only made X this weekend!"

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    How does this equate to it doing poorly? Genuinely curious on the reasoning.
    Because a lot of people are sheep and if they see a bad review/low opening they won't watch it, worldwide release is the best way to herd these sheep. Not even mentioning excited people who will torrent a week after one country's release because their own gets it several weeks later.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Well buddy, I never claimed to be an expert or see the future... The multi-billion dollar movie production companies that bankrolled the movie though... I would assume they know a marginal amount about movies, premieres, trends, etc., you know, just a little bit.
    Well buddy if they did, dumbest thing you can do in that case is do the staggered release.