Why do i lose rating when other people leave the match?

Ive lost nearly 200 rating today alone from people leaving and there being a 5v6, which turns into a 3v6 when others leave.

First why should i lose rating, why cant the match just end? Second, there needs to be a harsher penalty for leaving.

Because everyone must be happy, someone left from your side, free rating for the other side!

You cant punish them cause they produce money, its irrelevant how you feel, you are gonna open your chest, get your skin and be happy, or the leaver is gonna be on their side next time, free rating for you, be happy.

And the match cant end because otherwise people would abuse it with friends etc etc.

Why cant the match just end tho? Give them a 1minute grace period in case its a DC and then just end it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Why cant the match just end tho? Give them a 1minute grace period in case its a DC and then just end it.
    As i said, premades, "Yo bro, pull your ethernet i cant play hanzo!!!!1111" "K, you pulled for me, i pull now" , repeat forever.

They are trying not to punish anyone for the reason i said above, money.

As most companies nowadays, thats why i never bought Overwatch despite having it since first day of closed Beta, it would be like every other FPS once ranked hit, and it was shown the last couple of months when they introduced it in beta

MMR is a zero sum system, you can't gain rating unless somebody else loses it. A game giving no rating change to anyone whenever anybody from either team leaves would be very easily abused.

There is a system in place to cancel games with no rating changes under certain conditions, conditions that are already going too far (some legitimate games cancelled after a strong start for one team)

At the very least id like to see a harsher system for leavers. Maybe a three strike rule and they are out of comp for the season. Blizzard should be able to differentiate disconnects from people who press the leave button.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    As i said, premades, "Yo bro, pull your ethernet i cant play hanzo!!!!1111" "K, you pulled for me, i pull now" , repeat forever.

They are trying not to punish anyone for the reason i said above, money.

As most companies nowadays, thats why i never bought Overwatch despite having it since first day of closed Beta, it would be like every other FPS once ranked hit, and it was shown the last couple of months when they introduced it in beta
    Id usually agree but this is blizzard, they actually ban more accounts than any other company for bots and shit. I think changes will be coming to the ranked play, not sure how they go about it tho.

I would play with people i know but im not good enough yet, wanna try and grind to at least 3k solo before.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Id usually agree but this is blizzard, they actually ban more accounts than any other company for bots and shit. I think changes will be coming to the ranked play, not sure how they go about it tho.

I would play with people i know but im not good enough yet, wanna try and grind to at least 3k solo before.
    Bans dont matter cause rerolls never happen, where is the rating i lost cause of hacker, or leaver, etc etc.

Which is why all FPS are pointless and ranked system is even more pointless, its not that they will not punish them, its that you will never get your time/rating whatever back.

There is simply no reason to bother with them in the first place after you get that logic in your mind.

Sure, they banned 20.000 people or 200.000 people how about the games they ruined?
    Last edited by potis; 2016-11-18 at 01:57 PM.

Leavers really are a plague and more needs to be done to counter them - but unfortunately it doesn't seem like that's going to happen. There's a very tight, balanced and controlled environment for the top players but everybody below that has to deal with all manner of problems; the worst offender being people leaving.

So, I, personally just don't bother with competitive. I fire up the game every now and then to play around with the casual modes and there's enough games out there that I enjoy playing much more so I wouldn't want to devote so much of my time to something like playing Overwatch competitively anyway.