Page 1 of 2
LastLast

CD Projekt Red CEO: The Witcher franchise will continue; it's not Witcher 4 though

Original link: https://www.bankier.pl/forum/temat_r...,28716501.html

Used Google Translate: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/cd-...witcher-sequel

The story of Geralt of Rivia ended with Blood and Wine, the second expansion for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, but that doesn't mean that The Witcher franchise is dead and gone. CD Projekt Red is working on Cyberpunk 2077 at the moment, but there's more Witcher in the future, according to CD Projekt Red CEO Adam Kiciński.

"The first three Witchers were by definition a trilogy, so we simply could not name the next game 'The Witcher 4'. This does not mean, of course, that we will leave the world of The Witcher. The Witcher is one of two franchises on which to build the future activities of the company. Today, unfortunately, I can not reveal anything more," said Kiciński in an interview with Polish outlet Bankier (as translated by Google Translate).

CD Projekt Red has a lot floating around right now. Cyberpunk 2077 made its gameplay debut at E3 2018, but that game doesn't have a firm release beyond "when it's done". The studio also has another AAA RPG in development, with a hope to release that game by 2021. That could be the next Witcher title, or something completely new.

Either way, there's more Witcher games in our future. In the meantime, The Witcher is coming to Netflix next year and there's still more we need to know about Cyberpunk 2077 before its eventual release.

Well most of that was already known afaik.

I think I wrote in another thread already that I wouldn't mind another game in the same universe with more options on what you can actually be if they went for a no-name character. Being a real mage/sorceress for example would be nice. If we get to follow an existing one Ciri would probably be the most likely. Part of the issue for me is while the games were great on their own, I doubt they would reach the soaring hight without the established lovable characters for me .

Anyway, it's soo far away, it doesn't matter. CP2077 comes first.

I find the idea of a new Witcher game terrifying. I don't usually get hyped about games, but for The Witcher 3 I was so hyped up the only way it wouldn't disappoint is if it was the best game ever made, which in my opinion it turned out to be. So if they make a new game in the Witcher universe, it would have to be a game focused on Ciri (because I don't want to play a random new character and no other existing character could carry the game on their own, also because Ciri is awesome) and it would have to once again be the best game ever made. Anything less and it would be disappointing.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Wouldn't mind a game where you play as Ciri or as Younger Vesemir.

Woah, le massive spoilers.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

If they're ending Geralt's story then I'd prefer it if they didn't just replace him with Ciri.

A game where you create you're own character and explore the world would be pretty interesting. You could choose to become a bandit or a noble protector of the downtrodden - the setting has enough grey morality and gritty realism to pull off such a thing effectively.

A Ciri game is easy to see coming.

Perhaps they will do something unexpected however, like a prequel or a game where you create the protagonist. They might choose which depending on how well Cyberpunk's player-made character is received.

Makes sense, as the title "Witcher 4" implies a continuation of the Witcher 3, when it's supposed to be the start of a new series.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    If they're ending Geralt's story then I'd prefer it if they didn't just replace him with Ciri.

A game where you create you're own character and explore the world would be pretty interesting. You could choose to become a bandit or a noble protector of the downtrodden - the setting has enough grey morality and gritty realism to pull off such a thing effectively.
    It's unlikely that they'll just use Ciri as main character because she is not a true witcher, while she has most likely surpassed Geralt due her Elder blood, she lacks certain Witcher characteristics like cat eyes or super heightened senses / stamina.

They could use her in theory but the Witcher series has clearly established what a Witcher is, Ciri is in comparison to any other Witcher seen in the Witcher Universe, not a true Witcher.
    I think they probably stick to a similiar formula, your regular Witcher features, slightly pessimistic outlook, you get it, probably younger than Geralt, perhaps a Witcher that just finished its training.

It will be more difficult though, All three Witcher games drove a two side track in terms of story, Geralts personal story which was strongly based on the Books and the political one (Scioa'tael, Blue Stripes, Order of the Flaming rose, etc.) you have to establish *both* now.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2018-07-12 at 12:03 AM.

G w e n t 2 b a b y e e e
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gwent 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do like how Blood and Wine's good ending goes with Geralt. It feels like a legit end.

I mean i'd be okay with an even older and even more grizzled geralt. We still got the mortal problems to deal with since the wild hunt is mostly done. Also the games while based on the books didnt have that much imput from the original writer (If I remember he hates the games) so them making there own story again is a none issue.

World of Witcher. I wouldn't mind a MMO from CDPR.

A RPG in this world from before Geralt time, where you customize your character and join one of the school, and from there you learn the way of a witcher. It could be fun I think.

It would be cool to play a different Witcher like 40 years before.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Anyway, it's soo far away, it doesn't matter. CP2077 comes first.
    They have 2 studios now. It's probably far closer then you think(likely within the first 2 years of next gen consoles ala W3).

It will be out before ES6, and maybe even before Starfield LMFAO.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2018-07-12 at 05:01 AM.

I really hope they revamp the combat system. Everything about the Witcher games was great except the game play.

I'd be down for a Ciri game with an improved combat system.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoewy View Post
    A RPG in this world from before Geralt time, where you customize your character and join one of the school, and from there you learn the way of a witcher. It could be fun I think.
    And it's pure side stories of all of your characters dying and leaving diagrams for armor behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    World of Witcher. I wouldn't mind a MMO from CDPR.
    Oh god no, don't ruin another RPG franchise by shitting over it with MMO elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post

This is probably what will happen. She's bored of leading an empire, as indicated in b&w, and she will return to witchering around.

Instead of Ciri I'd rather see either another world or another continent. That way it doesn't have to connect to the story. Maybe have a Ciri cameo with her jumping to that world or have her as a secondary protagonist.