Thread: Rerolling DK

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rerolling DK

Hello

Im thinking about rerolling to Dk for legion, Been playing my lock since vanilla but it is getting boring an i need
    a new challenge in the game..

Any tips en tricks for a new DK?

It seems like a hard class to play whit the runes

There are numerous guides (both video and written) that you should take a look at. Especially the beta videos of Blood/Frost/Unholy to see what you can expect in Legion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unwolf View Post
    Hello

Im thinking about rerolling to Dk for legion, Been playing my lock since vanilla but it is getting boring an i need
    a new challenge in the game..

Any tips en tricks for a new DK?

It seems like a hard class to play whit the runes
    I wouldn't bother with WoD guides, though. Stuff gets changed so drastically into Legion that almost none of the knowledge you'll gain from them will be remotely useful to you. Runes even lost their colors, which changed things up entirely. People say it's simplyfied... I for myself find it harder because I'm so very used to the tricolor system. Ultimately, runes are nothing really hard. They seem hard to grasp at first but fade into subconsciousness pretty quickly because they feel very natural and fluent in use.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The rune system is so much cleaner in Legion. It's just smooth and reliable. I hated the multicolor runes
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    The rune system is so much cleaner in Legion. It's just smooth and reliable. I hated the multicolor runes
    One thing I wish they'd done is make it so the runes change based on your spec. Blood get blood rones, frost get frost, and unholy get unholy. All specs having the same runes is a bit weird. Just an aesthetic complaint.

I'm also looking at rerolling for Legion as I'm not all that happy with where warriors are at. I do have to say that I'm incredibly jealous of what the Unholy artifacts look like. I'd prefer to play frost over unholy. It looks like most DK's are happy with where unholy is at but feel like frost still needs some work. I guess I'm curious which talents everyone else is choosing for UH. I watched the FinalBoss 2nd pass video to get an idea of the play style. The only thing I don't like about DK's in general is it feels like they have more downtime because of runes.

Deleted
    Mirix I'm not in beta but can you sit on one of a pair of runes or is it sequential?

At the moment in HFC there is plenty to soak with ams to alleviate down time which can help a fair bit with haste seemingly pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Mirix I'm not in beta but can you sit on one of a pair of runes or is it sequential?

At the moment in HFC there is plenty to soak with ams to alleviate down time which can help a fair bit with haste seemingly pointless.
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by sitting on a pair of runes, but yes it is sequential as DK's have 6 'runes' of one type, ability cost is 1-2 runes.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    One thing I wish they'd done is make it so the runes change based on your spec. Blood get blood rones, frost get frost, and unholy get unholy. All specs having the same runes is a bit weird. Just an aesthetic complaint.
    That's not a bad idea at all. It would make sense in every single way, and I'd like that alot more cause it would with my my UI even better

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    That's a good idea. I'm not sure why they didn't actually do that.

10+ Year Old Account

They've changed it so it's two groups of three runes (1 1 1 2 2 2), and you can only have one trio recharging at a time. As before with pairs, this means that as long as you have three runes recharging at any given time AND you've got enough GCDs to spend your ready runes before your recharging runes are ready, you're not losing DPS, so effectively YES, you can sit on a "pair" (actually a trio) of runes. However, it's important to note that because we only have one type of rune, it doesn't matter which three runes you're sitting on, so you can sit on Rune 1, Rune 4, and Rune 5 (or any combination you can think of). It's also interesting to note that your runes will recharge from left to right (you'll see the implications of this in the last screenshot). In the end, your rune recharging looks like this (using a 2-rune spender simply so it's easier to distinguish rune timers):

Used a 2-rune ability (Marrowrend), so Runes 1 and 2 are recharging, and Runes 3, 4, 5, and 6 are ready.

Used two 2-rune abilities (Marrowrend x2), so Runes 1, 2, and 3 are recharging, Rune 4 is depleted, and Rune 5 and 6 are ready.

Used three 2-rune abilities (Marrowrend x3), so Runes 1, 2, and 3 are recharging, and Runes 4, 5, and 6 are depleted.

Used four 2-rune abilities (Marrowrend x4), so Runes 3, 4, and 5 are recharging, and Runes 1, 2, and 6 are depleted.

Same as above, except now Rune 3 has finished recharging (remember, Rune 3 was orphaned after the second Marrowrend, because Rune 4 was unable to start recharging until Runes 1 and 2 had finished recharging), so Runes 1, 4, and 5 are recharging, Rune 3 is ready (and would probably be used on a 1-rune ability), and Runes 2 and 6 are depleted. What's interesting about this is that because runes regenerate from left to right (as mentioned above), and because I had depleted Runes 1 and 2 before Rune 3 had finished recharging (and thus before Rune 6 had begun recharging), Rune 1 began recharging instead of Rune 6.

This means that you're always going to have "disrupted" runes, but it also means that having said disrupted runes will not be annoying/catastrophic to your rotation anymore.

Disclaimer: These screenshots are not taken in the same rune-recharge period (which is approximately 7-9 seconds, it doesn't show in the Character Tab in Legion) because that's too tough for a scrub like me, so ignore the fact that the time between each rune recharge is slightly different. It doesn't change what I'm trying to show.

Disclaimer 2: I'm not in beta personally, my testing was done on a friend's account.
    Last edited by Tehr; 2016-06-13 at 11:53 AM.
    B.Net: Tehr#1477 | Discord: Tehr#5246 | Stream | Guild Website | List of characters
    Raid CD Tracker (#1 on wago.io): Tehr's RaidCDs, ExternalCDs, UtilityCDs, ImmunityCDs, AoECCs, RezCDs, & Interrupts

Deleted
    Nice post Tehr. Thank you for taking the time to post this. As a non beta tester this kind of stuff is really good to read.

Yeah, listen to Tehr. I'm pretty new to DK so disregard my answers. I am wondering what talents others are choosing for leveling as unholy. I'm going with Bursting Sores, Epidemic, Castigator, Sludge Belcher, Corpse Shield, Necrosis, and Defile at level 101.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm a career frost. The blood isn't my thing;neither is throwing around disease. That bein said, unholy artifact looks crazy gorgeous
    Protect the weak. Punish the wicked.
    If you have something bad to say about Blizz, come at me bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartumus22 View Post
    I'm a career frost. The blood isn't my thing;neither is throwing around disease. That bein said, unholy artifact looks crazy gorgeous
    It's actually one of the reasons I'm trying to force myself to play / like unholy. Not there quite yet.

Oke so i boosted my DK last weekend,
    An i must say i realy like it so far, It maby be my new main for Legion

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mirix View Post
    Yeah, listen to Tehr. I'm pretty new to DK so disregard my answers. I am wondering what talents others are choosing for leveling as unholy. I'm going with Bursting Sores, Epidemic, Castigator, Sludge Belcher, Corpse Shield, Necrosis, and Defile at level 101.
    I tried many various combinations, and I liked Bursting, Blight rune wep, Clawing shadows, Sludge, Lingering, Necrosis and Dark Arbiter.

Corpse Shield is very good, but I didn't find it required after some time. Blight rune wep can be argued against, but I liked it against elites & tab targetting in DnD, to pop multiple wounds with Bursting.

Having a 1s baseline GCD also helps to devalue haste, which is gone in Legion where our GCD scales with haste. Bloodlust finally feels like a good CD when it gets popped

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehr View Post
    They've changed it so it's two groups of three runes (1 1 1 2 2 2), and you can only have one trio recharging at a time. As before with pairs, this means that as long as you have three runes recharging at any given time AND you've got enough GCDs to spend your ready runes before your recharging runes are ready, you're not losing DPS, so effectively YES, you can sit on a "pair" (actually a trio) of runes. However, it's important to note that because we only have one type of rune, it doesn't matter which three runes you're sitting on, so you can sit on Rune 1, Rune 4, and Rune 5 (or any combination you can think of). It's also interesting to note that your runes will recharge from left to right (you'll see the implications of this in the last screenshot). In the end, your rune recharging looks like this (using a 2-rune spender simply so it's easier to distinguish rune timers):

Used a 2-rune ability (Marrowrend), so Runes 1 and 2 are recharging, and Runes 3, 4, 5, and 6 are ready.

Used two 2-rune abilities (Marrowrend x2), so Runes 1, 2, and 3 are recharging, Rune 4 is depleted, and Rune 5 and 6 are ready.

Used three 2-rune abilities (Marrowrend x3), so Runes 1, 2, and 3 are recharging, and Runes 4, 5, and 6 are depleted.

Used four 2-rune abilities (Marrowrend x4), so Runes 3, 4, and 5 are recharging, and Runes 1, 2, and 6 are depleted.

Same as above, except now Rune 3 has finished recharging (remember, Rune 3 was orphaned after the second Marrowrend, because Rune 4 was unable to start recharging until Runes 1 and 2 had finished recharging), so Runes 1, 4, and 5 are recharging, Rune 3 is ready (and would probably be used on a 1-rune ability), and Runes 2 and 6 are depleted. What's interesting about this is that because runes regenerate from left to right (as mentioned above), and because I had depleted Runes 1 and 2 before Rune 3 had finished recharging (and thus before Rune 6 had begun recharging), Rune 1 began recharging instead of Rune 6.

This means that you're always going to have "disrupted" runes, but it also means that having said disrupted runes will not be annoying/catastrophic to your rotation anymore.

Disclaimer: These screenshots are not taken in the same rune-recharge period (which is approximately 7-9 seconds, it doesn't show in the Character Tab in Legion) because that's too tough for a scrub like me, so ignore the fact that the time between each rune recharge is slightly different. It doesn't change what I'm trying to show.

Disclaimer 2: I'm not in beta personally, my testing was done on a friend's account.
    this is an excellent way to show it all off. Well done

Deleted
    So baseline 1.5 sec gcd which lots of haste and hero can drop how low? 0.5 seconds maybe?