Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

400 massive spiders have just been set loose in Britain… sleep tight

https://www.rt.com/uk/347471-biggest...-britain-size/

Hundreds of Britain’s biggest native spiders, which can grow to be three inches wide, have been released into the wild as part of a project aimed at helping them repopulate.

Fen raft spiders were listed as an endangered species in recent years after their numbers dwindled due to “human encroachment.”

Zookeepers from the Chessington World of Adventures (CWoA) have been working on a conservation program since 2011 to ensure their survival, and released 400 spiderlings reared in their breeding program back into the wild.

The arachnids, distinctive looking with brown or black bodies with white or cream stripes along their sides, live in fens and other wetlands and are able to move across water because of their hairy legs.

They eat other smaller spiders, dragonfly larvae and pond skaters, and can also eat tadpoles and small fish.

The species, which can be found across mainland Europe and some areas in the south of England and Wales, are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act due to their high risk of extinction.

CWoA’s program has seen the population almost double, and the species will no longer need rearing in zoos to ensure survival.

The group has won gold at the annual BIAZA awards, which rewards organizations for their conservation efforts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Okay, cool?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I've always wanted to emigrate.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen a couple of spiders like that stateside, those things can get freaky-big and are super mean. But, hey, good on them for helping them repopulate, they might be good for keeping pest populations down.

That's not even one for every british person to eat in their sleep.

Had a few Ts myself. Now I'm down to just a Flameleg.

I'm all for this conservation. They will help out with other pests in the long run.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

They eat other spiders and are harmless to humans.

Seems like you WILL be able to sleep tight, knowing they are murder-killing the crap out of all the other creepy-crawlies.
    ~RAWR!

400 spiders is nothing. I also wouldn't call them massive spiders, they don't look any bigger than wolf spiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I'm not a fan of spiders they do an excellent job keeping other pests down so I'm all for it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Havik View Post
    They eat other spiders and are harmless to humans.

Seems like you WILL be able to sleep tight, knowing they are murder-killing the crap out of all the other creepy-crawlies.
    That's one of the things quite a few people don't get about most spiders, is that they're good at keeping less desirable buggers in check.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are these mutant flesh eating spiders?
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    That's one of the things quite a few people don't get about most spiders, is that they're good at keeping less desirable buggers in check.
    Some are no joke though. Found a brown recluse in my room and I would not have been pleased if it were residing in my shoe. Their bites are painful.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I don't live in Britain.

But I don't even wanna be on the same planet as spiders. WTB trip to Mars.

15+ Year Old Account
    Australia 2.0 inc.

Pure grade A nightmare fuel right here.

10+ Year Old Account
    lolth is coming for the british. soon they shall feel the warm embrace of the spiderqueen's handmaidens.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Some are no joke though. Found a brown recluse in my room and I would not have been pleased if it were residing in my shoe. Their bites are painful.
    we have brown recluses.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Well I did say 'most'. Recluse spiders can fuck right off and go back to the hell that spawned them for all I care, nothing that small needs that much poison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Nope. Nope. NOPE!

Any spiders I see get the gas or the squish. Or if they're really suicidal and decide to hop in my bath I burn them alive with scalding water.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    I'm moving to the moon Spider's are nasty Q.Q
    Don't watch Apollo 18