View Poll Results: Would you eat this burger?

Voters
79. This poll is closed
  • Need more info.

31 39.24%
  • No.

13 16.46%
  • If it saved a cow.

11 13.92%
  • If it were cheaper.

24 30.38%
Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

GMO: Silicon Valley's Bloody Plant Burger Smells, Tastes And Sizzles Like Meat

Would you eat this GMO product?

more at link

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...zles-like-meat

The burger looks, tastes and smells like beef — except it's made entirely from plants. It sizzles on the grill and even browns and oozes fat when it cooks. It's the brainchild of former Stanford biochemist Patrick Brown and his research team at Northern California-based Impossible Foods.

The startup's goal is like many in Silicon Valley — to create a product that will change the world.

"The demand for meat is going through the roof, and the world is not going to be able to satisfy that using animals — there's just not enough space, not enough water," says Brown, Impossible Foods' founder and CEO.

Global meat production is expected to increase by 612,000 tons, or 1 percent, this year, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.

So Impossible Foods has developed a burger that it says is less resource-intensive, healthier and will eventually be cheaper to produce than red meat.

It's not the only faux meat company selling bloody plant patties. Last month, Los Angeles-based Beyond Meat made headlines when it released the Beyond Burger, its pea protein burger that sizzles like real meat and "bleeds" beet juice. The burgers quickly sold out after debuting at a Whole Foods in Boulder, Colo.

Beyond Meat's investors include Microsoft founder Bill Gates. Gates is also backing Impossible Foods. So is billionaire venture capitalist Vinod Khosla and Google Ventures. All told, the company has raised some $182 million in seed funding. Last year, Impossible Foods turned down Google's offer to buy the company for $200 million to $300 million.

The Impossible Burger is more than just peas and carrots smashed together: It's the result of some pretty high-tech research.

Brown's team analyzes meat at a molecular level to determine what makes a burger taste, smell and cook the way it does. He wants his burgers to be squishy while raw, then firm up and brown on the grill. He believes everything from an animal's fat tissue to muscle cells can be replicated using plant compounds.

Before starting the company, Brown had a hunch that a certain ingredient made meat taste different than other foods. "I had a very strong suspicion early on that heme would be the magic ingredient for flavor," said Brown.

Heme is an iron-containing molecule in blood that carries oxygen. It's heme that makes your blood red and makes meat look pink and taste slightly metallic.

It's highly concentrated in red meat, but it can also be found in plants. And that was the trick to giving Brown's meat-free burgers that blood-pink look when raw and meaty taste once cooked.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The burger looks, tastes and smells like beef
    Yeah yeah. So they say. I've heard the same being said about soy products by vegetarians and vegans.

Looks delicious to me and i like trying out new stuff so yeah i would eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Yeah yeah. So they say. I've heard the same being said about soy products by vegetarians and vegans.
    Hell, I've had burgers I wouldn't eat again.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtlewithnoshell View Post
    Hell, I've had burgers I wouldn't eat again.
    To be fair, I'm never going to eat the same burger twice.

Deleted
    I'd try one, they look pretty decent.

Deleted
    So where in this fake burger is the animal fat and animal protein that my body needs?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I try to eat only GMO products because they are superior.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

So where in this fake burger is the animal fat and animal protein that my body needs?
    It's a burger. Put it on top.

I get that he thinks it wont be sustainable, but that isn't until we can stop wasting so much food. Look at how many tons upon tons of food goes to waste each year. We have to lower that amount Long before this is needed. How does he expect to make it viable? Animals are generally raised in areas where planting crops isn't viable anyway. I think this guy hasn't figured out all of its problems. Sure, its neat that he can make this out of plants, but there are several huge hurdles its got to over come at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Deleted
    Why can't they, instead of making fake burgers out of peas and beet juice, come up with beef plants. There's already a flower that smells like rotting corpses. Can't be that hard. Just splice cow genes with corn genes and there ya go. Cow corn.

Have no problem if they label it as such and provide info somewhere so people can make informed decisions.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    Sounds tasty, definitely.

15+ Year Old Account
    What is missing from plant proteins and fats?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    The soul of the cow, infused into the meat.

The above is humor, of course. Bad humor or not, it is a joke. I had to edit this in, because I know certain people on these forums won't get it.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-06-21 at 06:30 PM.

Why is there no "yes" option on the poll? It's all negative or slightly negative choices.

Nice bias, OP.

When I can try one , I will let you know what I think of it ,"being just like beef"...been lied to many times before.
    There is more to "it is just like beef" than taste.
    Last edited by enragedgorilla; 2016-06-21 at 06:24 PM.

If it tastes good, yes. I don't know what to vote so I went with "If it saved a cow".
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I'd be interested in trying it out. It says that its healthier in the article but I would like to see the nutritional value compared to beef. I have such a hard time getting enough protein as it is and I can't have whey protein so I have to have this vegan crap which tastes like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    B12 for starters. It is only found naturally from animal products. Zinc is believed to be found in a form that is easier to break down in meats then plants. There is a list of things that a vegan diet is missing or is getting an inferior version of. Thus they have to typically take vitamins.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?