Poll: What is the best video game of all time? The best ever made

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    It has to be wow by a landslide in shear terms of time investment and replay. I feel it will be a lot of people's best game if they were being honest with themselves. But liking wow is an unpopular opinion.

Nintendo nostalgia though is a powerful thing. Ocarina of time, mario 64, banjo kazooie, super metroid and metroid prime are very much up there as games I was completely obsessed with. Ocarina definitely felt like the most perfect piece of gaming ever made when I got my hands on it.
    I can't speak for everyone, but No. WoW was never my favorite game, although I did have a lot of fun through the years I played. But the main reason I spent so many endless hours and nights grinding away was because I had to if I wanted to level up and make money for gear n all that. WoW demanded that you invest your life to excel in the game (before recent expansions allowed free max level boosts and dumbed the game down)

WoW would be on my Top 5 Favorites list, but it'd be #4 or #5 lol

Chrono Trigger and the Baldur's Gate series.

Deus Ex.

*morecharacters*

10+ Year Old Account
    My Top three weren't on the Poll.

1) Chrono Trigger
    2) Grandia Series
    3) Shining Force 1&2

Phantasy Star 4, Breath of Fire 3, Star Ocean: Second Story, Doom (both original and 2016), Shining Force 2 (The GBA remake for Shining Force 1 is also really good). These are a few of the games that pop into my head for "best" video game of which i've played and massively enjoyed more than any other game.

Edit: Almost forgot about Grandia 1 and 2 fantastic games.
    Last edited by Chaosinciter; 2016-06-28 at 08:51 PM. Reason: adding a game

GTAV best game of all time if you disagree and name something beyond 2005 you should probably invent a time machine and live off your nostalgia. Technically and detail wise GTA is the best.

If we aren't counting MMOs and we're talking about single games and not series.

The Gran Turismo series outsold almost everything on your list, and has been very highly rated over the years.. The first games were considered revolutionary and were the best selling games on the best selling consoles.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    It's better if you limit it to genres, games are very diverese. On the topic of OoT: it's shit if you didn't play it back when it wasn't.
    Ya I agree. A lot of these games are simply not comparable.
    I vote for WoW of course, as I have over 1 year played on a single character. Don't think I'd have that much /played on all those other games combined.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    My absolute favorite is the Mass Effect trilogy, specifically 2 and 3. And that's despite the bad ending of ME3.
    Putin khuliyo

Lol, ofc WoW would get the vote on this site. Objectively, it's Ocarina of Time. Come on guys. Drop your inner fanboy, you know it to be true. The story, the art direction, the puzzles and gameplay, the soundtrack and special effects.. It was unlike anything before it and sets the gold standard to this day for what a video game should be.

Ocarina of Time is the greatest video game of all time. /thread

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    GTAV best game of all time if you disagree and name something beyond 2005 you should probably invent a time machine and live off your nostalgia. Technically and detail wise GTA is the best.

See but that is again just a opinion which is what this thread is kind of about peoples opinions on what they think the best game is. I personally hate the GTA series as they are excessively boring to me and offer nothing of worth in a game to even be notable. Does that mean it's a bad game? No not at all.
    Everyone has their preferences but absolutes don't exist GTA fails at something otherwise it would be equally good for every walk of life gamer which it is not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Monstergirl quest.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would also say that I've never seen a game with a better open world than Fallout 3. So much to explore and discover. Fallout 4 did an admirable job in its open world, but I feel there the quest design wasn't up to par.

Dark Souls is also probably the most innovative game in the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I would also say that I've never seen a game with a better open world than Fallout 3. So much to explore and discover. Fallout 4 did an admirable job in its open world, but I feel there the quest design wasn't up to par.

Dark Souls is also probably the most innovative game in the last 10 years.
    Fallout 3's world is bland as hell. Fallout 4's was much better but still pretty bland.

Compared to open worlds like Xenoblade Chronicles X an GTAV the bethesda worlds are pretty directionless.

If Dark Souls is the most innovative game of the last 10 years then what does that make Demon's Souls? LMAO.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted Tetris because it embodies everything a 'best all time' should encompass; universal platforms, compelling gameplay, and simple enough anyone could pick it up right away regardless of age or experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Fallout 3's world is bland as hell. Fallout 4's was much better but still pretty bland.

Compared to open worlds like Xenoblade Chronicles X an GTAV the bethesda worlds are pretty directionless.

If Dark Souls is the most innovative game of the last 10 years then what does that make Demon's Souls? LMAO.
    Fine, Demon's Souls whatever.

How was Fallout 3's world bland? Over 100 locations with the majority of them having either interesting lore, quests, or loot to find. In GTA V has a fine open world but it's nothing special in terms of actual activities same as all the GTA games. They are mainly just sandboxes to fuck around in. For that type of open world then yeah it's the best. Haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles X so I can't judge it. Which is why I said, "I've never seen a game with a better open world."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post

You gotta learn the difference between opinions and facts. My personal Favorite is GTA V, but Tetris by far outshines it in terms of how playable it is and has been for decades.

Deleted
    Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

OoT was an exceptionally amazing game, no doubt about it, but MM - in my opinion - raised the bar even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Fine, Demon's Souls whatever.

How was Fallout 3's world bland? Over 100 locations with the majority of them having either interesting lore, quests, or loot to find. In GTA V has a fine open world but it's nothing special in terms of actual activities same as all the GTA games. They are mainly just sandboxes to fuck around in. For that type of open world then yeah it's the best. Haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles X so I can't judge it. Which is why I said, "I've never seen a game with a better open world."
    "Over 100 locations of copy pasta content".

Sounds like a Ubisoft game to me, and even when I enjoy those I never come away thinking they have great open worlds.

Compared to GTAV where literally no building is used twice, 1000s of different clutter models to appear and give the feeling of density, and the wild location differences from beach to city to forest to desert. Yea, fallout 3/4 are a joke compared to the pieced together world there.

Not that I blame Bethesda, Fallout games are made by 100 people on a budget dwarfed by GTA but facts remain facts. Bethesda builds an open world off of copy pasting assets and that's never going to qualify as "the best" of anything.

Also don't think Demon's Souls is the most innovative game of the last 10 years. The online features of the game where innovative sure, but compared to games like Splatoon or Valkyria Chronicles or even Mario Galaxy that innovation was pretty bland. They took the monster hunter model and added pvp to it.

All of these are my best games of eras as I've grown up with all of these:

Atari Era: Pitfall (or Impossible Mission on C64)
    NES 8-bit Era: Metroid
    Super NES 16-bit Era: Super Metroid
    N64 Era: Super Mario 64 or Castlevania SotN
    PS2 Era: Metroid Prime
    Wii Era: Gears of War
    Current Gen: Destiny
    PC: World of Warcraft (Civ series a close 2nd)
    Random: Tetris or Minesweeper