Thread: Disc Dps.

Disc Dps.

Hello i'm considering playing my old priest disc but i have one problem.

Blizzard said at the start of legion , that disc should be somewhere aroung 70% of a true dps. But when i watch the log on guarm for exemple , i cant see a priest beyond 210K while other dps can get at 600-700K+. I'm not good at math but 200k isnt anywhere near 70%.

So my question is , are the log not representative because idk maybe you have to cast the shadow healing spell in the fight or some cd and u cant dps all along the fight ? Is guarm a bad fight for disc ? is there another reason ? what is the average dps a 890 disc can pull in a 4min/Guarm-like fight if he only dps ?

Ty and sry for my english <3

Deleted
    Disc scaling is a lot worse than real dps, especially since mastery does not contribute to dps. On top of that, a disc priest generally has to focus on healing and their damage is a means to achieve that, for them dps is secondary to healing.

This person did 354k dps to Guarm and only 87k hps, for example: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...one&source=261

Also, I don't remember them saying discs should do around 70% of a true dps, they did say that about tanks though. I think that would be terribly unbalanced too, considering how much healing a disc can do. Do you have a source for it?

Keep in mind that they also said Disc should provide less healing than other healers to compensate when they started spouting off numbers, but this isn't strictly true either. During progression, assuming you had a boomkin or resto druid to feed disc an innervate every 3 minutes, their output capabilities far surpassed that of any other healers (and still does right now - it's just not seen / neccessary as we're in deep farm mode). Cenarius springs to mind where disc turned out to be insanely overpowered, because not only could they deal with the heavy burst damage from tons of wisps exploding multiple times over a few minutes (where as when another healer blew their one 3 minute godmode-CD, they were pretty much done), their setup also provided stability before/after the burst periods. They did little to no healing outside of the dangerous moments, but that's more a tradeoff of "burst healing vs sustained healing", where disc obviously loses big-time, but they have never been *weaker* than the other healers output wise.

In short; Numbers were said that said something akin to 50-70%, but those numbers also quoted disc as being significantly weaker as a healer as a trade-off. This isn't the case; Instead you're trading a sustain healer (MW, druid, shaman) for a burst healer, and gaining some DPS to make up for the lack of sustain.

Disc was only doing good dps back in the prepatch when they had the ability to take advantage of some of the op HFC dps trinkets. After the trinket proc nerfs disc dps is in line with every other healer more or less. I also don't think it was Blizzard that even said that 70% number.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...gregate=amount

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statist...gregate=amount

This is the top damage that is publicly logged by the various healers in Heroic EN and ToV in 7.1.5. Mythic doesn't provide good data since few healers can afford to all-out dps at that level. As we can see, even with the nerf to Holy Shock Holy Paladins are still far and away the top healer DPSer, with Resto Druids and Discipline Priests roughly tied for 2nd.

If you're serious as a Disc about performing well in DPS in farm content, the big keys are building a gear set to maximize DPS and choosing the right talents. So get DPS trinkets - stat sticks are good since they don't suffer from the trinket nerfs Discs otherwise face. Wriggling Sinew seems to be good as well. Get rid of as much mastery as you can. Use the Cord of Maiev if you have it.

Schism is the primary DPS talent, but make sure to also select Power Infusion since the other two on that row are useless for DPS. Mindbender, Halo, and Purge the Wicked round out the key talent choices.

The rotation as you would expect is super-simple. Schism on CD, Penance on CD, Light's Wrath following Schism on pull after putting atonements on players pre-pull for the extra damage, Halo on CD only delaying if you know adds are coming up, otherwise Smite.

I'm less sure about any other aspect of Disc DPSing. The buff to Mark of the Claw might make it better than the previous best Mark of the Hidden Satyr. I think Crit is our best secondary stat - Haste has problems in long fights where our mana is an issue. I use Potions of Prolonged Power but Potions of Deadly Grace might be better if gold isn't a concern.
    Last edited by Yunzi; 2017-01-16 at 04:52 PM.

Speaking from a Boomkin less group 'pov', I constantly have to walk a fine line between atonement prepping, spot healing and dpsing. Doing to much spot healing and I will be low on mana, casting to many smites will also drop my mana real quick. So for me I almost have to play a conservative playstyle at times, in the end trying to keep my damage above the tanks while trying to keep my healing in line with the other healers.

Ty for the answers <3

Ah well i may be confused with the 70% of a pure healer or something then. I guess the good point is that they can still heal while dps , as opposed to those great dps number you linked with holy paladin.

Another quick question , no one is taking Clarity of Will ? I loved that talent and it is said in the guide
    "Clarity of Will doesn't have a purpose right now"
    But what about main tank healing ? or maybe u better take a paladin for main tank healing and the disc dont have a place here ? How big a shield with clarity can be with a good ilvl ?

Deleted
    Clarity of Will hast it spots in M+, when you want to keep people from getting one shotted by mechanics.

Deleted
    Clarity is decent in mythic plus but next to useless in raids since disc generally doesn't have the mana to be constantly casting it unless you are doing content you and your raid vastly out gear. Disc is also not very viable as a main tank healer due again to our mana and the cost of SM and or Clarity.

For non raids disc does decent dps on single target boss fights but our aoe sucks, in raids Disc is not supposed to be matching dps classes even if we talent and gear for dps. Your healing will be reduced to nothing if you focus completely on doing damage and on the flip side you will be doing less damage if you ignore the synergistic behavior between atonement and damage.

Disc is only valuable for its cooldowns, its DPS is slightly above tanks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tiptopmemer View Post
    Disc is only valuable for its cooldowns
    That's actually not quite true Disc's cooldowns barrier and pain suppression are good but its healing umph which is better then most other classes cooldowns comes directly from mass atonement and damage output abilities which have no cooldown but are limited by mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Sxq View Post
    Disc was only doing good dps back in the prepatch when they had the ability to take advantage of some of the op HFC dps trinkets. After the trinket proc nerfs disc dps is in line with every other healer more or less. I also don't think it was Blizzard that even said that 70% number.
    Just look at what Disc gets out of DPS trinkets compared to a DPS and that will tell you what damage Disc is supposed to do compared to a DPS spec.
    Otherwise those trinkets wouldn't be balanced with stat trinkets for Disc and DPS at the same time.
    (Yes, to get exact numbers you would need to take into account that not all of our healing is through atonement, but that just means the damage Disc is supposed to do compared to DPS specs is even lower than what the trinkets indicate.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    That's actually not quite true Disc's cooldowns barrier and pain suppression are good but its healing umph which is better then most other classes cooldowns comes directly from mass atonement and damage output abilities which have no cooldown but are limited by mana.
    I think the thought of that healing as a "cooldown", because it almost behaves like that, that is, it can substitute for one.