Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

New Low-Priority system is garbage

Let me explain...

Usually when I get Low Priority, for whatever reason, it's my queue to take a step back from the game. Go play something else, go outside, go attend to real life for a few days and get off of DotA-World.

With this new system though, I HAVE to play the LP matches. Before it was a choice. You either stopped playing for a day or two, or you could keep on playing, but the experience would be sub-par because it was LP.

I hate that I have 4 more games of mind numbing, troll infested LP. I abandoned my last game because I started having an adverse reaction to a medication. True story. Now this.

I hate Valve. I hate Valve so much. They need to stick to making hats.
    Religion isn't the absence of reason. It's merely the presence of faith.
    Heroes of the Storm : all day erryday

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel for you. It's not much greater in High priority either though.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

It's about time they implemented a games played low priority system. 2 hours low priority for intentionally feeding and throwing a game away because your teammate dared to go scepter void instead of battlefury (yes this happened to me before)? You just go AFK through a LFR run and come back and keep ruining more people's games.

If LP is going to punish the people who really deserve it, it has to force them to suffer through their punishment or nothing will change. It isn't a punishment if you can just go to bed and wake up and the LP is gone already.

And if you're getting LP for abandons it's because you abandon way too much. The system already gives you free abandons and if you go over the allotted amount you are doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    It's about time they implemented a games played low priority system. 2 hours low priority for intentionally feeding and throwing a game away because your teammate dared to go scepter void instead of battlefury (yes this happened to me before)? You just go AFK through a LFR run and come back and keep ruining more people's games.

If LP is going to punish the people who really deserve it, it has to force them to suffer through their punishment or nothing will change. It isn't a punishment if you can just go to bed and wake up and the LP is gone already.

And if you're getting LP for abandons it's because you abandon way too much. The system already gives you free abandons and if you go over the allotted amount you are doing something wrong.
    I have *never* gotten an LP punishment that was less than a 48 hour period. Wake up and you're out of LP? What game have you been playing? Or how did you manage to get such a low LP time? The new system sucks. It just makes people more frustrated. They can't step away from the game and use their time out as a lesson, now you have to suffer through the troll fest.

It's like prison. You expect someone to change by sending them to jail, but jail itself is a violent, self fulfilling prophecy of a community.

You want someone to turn away from trolling, so instead of encouraging them to step away from the game and cool off, you just tell them to go play with more trolls?

Sorry, I don't see the superior Valve logic here. I'm with them on most things, but this sucks imo.
    Religion isn't the absence of reason. It's merely the presence of faith.
    Heroes of the Storm : all day erryday

I can't say I agree with OP at all, the change is necessary for LP to actually be punishing. And you didn't even need to sleep off your punishment for ruining games, you could just swap to another account and keep playing - sure there's tutorials you have to complete now to enter MM but that doesn't stop a seasoned leaver from already having several accounts to rotate LP on.

For normal players avoiding LP shouldn't be too hard, personally I've almost 4000 games played across a few accounts and I've only been in LP once, and that was in early beta in 2011 when they did a stealth change in how abandons worked and I got punished for being the guy who took the abandon so our 5-stack could forfeit. Now I can take an abandon every now and then and not even have to worry.

Deleted
    Just don't get banned ? its not hard, i've been in low prio twice, one time was i get dc'd twice in a week (net faulires) and the other was abandoning too a game and then the next day my pc whilst playing.

It's about time they implemented a games played low priority system. [...] If LP is going to punish the people who really deserve it, it has to force them to suffer through their punishment or nothing will change. It isn't a punishment if you can just go to bed and wake up and the LP is gone already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    I can't say I agree with OP at all, the change is necessary for LP to actually be punishing.
    I agree. A punishment system that can be ignored is not a working punishment system. It is not difficult to avoid LPQ. The game allows you to have a certain number of abandons because sometimes they are inevitable, due to power outages, internet disconnects, real-life emergencies, etc; it is only after you go over that threshold or you get reported multiple times for legitimate offenses that you end up in LPQ.

Serves you right. I have 650 hours of dota and have not been thrown into LP queue even once. This change was more than necessary because previously LP scum could just avoid it.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

i have never fallen to the LP myself , and i occasionally insult ppl or mock them , this has only led me to get communication banned once ( for 1 week) , but i never abandon games , i believe i only abandoned 3 games out of my 1k+ played and those were real life emergencies , so if you end up in LP regularly i think you should be punished hard

10+ Year Old Account
    I support it. It actually punishes people and there is no way to avoid it. Whereas before you could just avoid DOTA which would be inconvenient but not really a punishment.
    I've only been in LPQ once. That was when I started playing and abandoned a few games largely because I wasn't aware that the LPQ even existed so that was down to a new players dumb mistakes.

I think it's very hard to actually get put there without being excessive.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm in support of the new system. It keeps people playing the game as opposed to not playing it. If I get LP and have to wait 24 hours OR 2 games, you can bet I'll always not play for those 24 hours where-as I'll play 2 games to get out of LP
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

i have literally never been in LPQ

with that said i think it makes sense to force people to actually take their punishment instead of allowing them to opt out

If your life is so busy that you FREQUENTLY have to drop games after 20 minutes, you need to stop playing DotA because it is not the game for you.

For the ocassional time that your dog swallows a battery, the system won't instantly LP you for leaving a game.

At the end of the day, anyone who has to drop more games than the system already allows deserves the LP. Think of it as a nice reminder to stop playing DotA when you have a friend coming over in 5 minutes, or to fix your internet connection, or to not play DotA when your 6 week old baby is sick and needs constant attention.

What is low-priority? Is it similar to LoLs tribunal?

10+ Year Old Account
    If your life is so busy that you FREQUENTLY have to drop games after 20 minutes, you need to stop playing DotA because it is not the game for you.

For the ocassional time that your dog swallows a battery, the system won't instantly LP you for leaving a game.

At the end of the day, anyone who has to drop more games than the system already allows deserves the LP. Think of it as a nice reminder to stop playing DotA when you have a friend coming over in 5 minutes, or to fix your internet connection, or to not play DotA when your 6 week old baby is sick and needs constant attention.
    Try having to take care of a family member that is chronically prone to needing help with very simple tasks you and I take for granted. It's easy to call foul when you don't have to deal with this crap. It's literally random. Don't just say "Don't play Dota, because this stuff is too unpredictable."
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Try having to take care of a family member that is chronically prone to needing help with very simple tasks you and I take for granted. It's easy to call foul when you don't have to deal with this crap.
    Don't play DotA then if you don't think you can make it without having to leave the game. Sorry, there are plenty of games out there that you can pause or put down and come back to, this is not one of them.

Don't forget that the game isn't just about you, playing when you know you might have to go in 15 minutes is wasting 9 other people's time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't play DotA then if you don't think you can make it without having to leave the game. Sorry, there are plenty of games out there that you can pause or put down and come back to, this is not one of them.

Don't forget that the game isn't just about you, playing when you know you might have to go in 15 minutes is wasting 9 other people's time.
    Funny I never mentioned 15 minutes. You are simply not understanding the situation.

Warrior-Magi

Funny I never mentioned 15 minutes. You are simply not understanding the situation.
    Yeah that's probably it.

Try having to take care of a family member that is chronically prone to needing help with very simple tasks you and I take for granted. It's easy to call foul when you don't have to deal with this crap. It's literally random. Don't just say "Don't play Dota, because this stuff is too unpredictable."
    Yes, the answer is you Don't play. I have a toddler and I don't play when she's awake. Sure it freaking sucks, but it's part of life that we don't get to do what we want.

It's very selfish to ditch a game and ruin it for 9 other people because you insist on playing. It's better you suffer alone than cause everyone else to. (unless you're a selfish jerk.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I played a low priority game once when i played a game with a friend that didnt realise she was in low priority, it wasnt so bad. Infact it was over pretty quickly because someone abandoned lol.
    I do think the old system is flawed, since everyone just logged a different account or did something else.
    I agree a casual mode would be decent though, doesnt have to count toward win/loss and could maybe replace the person thats left with a bot. Sadly im sure that most people would just abandon as soon as they think the game is gg.