Page 1 of 2
LastLast

7.0/Legion Class Change Overview

Since I helped do a little writeup thing for Panser and Tradechat (if you want to watch her video instead it's here), figured I'd post the writeup here as well, just as a very brief overview for 7.0 changes. Here goes!

The most universal difference for Warlocks in 7.0 is that we all now use the same secondary resource system, Soul Shards, instead of each spec having a unique resource.

Draenor perks and a handful of Major glyphs have been removed/baked into abilities and almost all Minor glyphs have the ability to be applied directly to the spell/pet. Most notably the graphics of your demons that used to be only usable when you had Grimoire of Supremacy are now all glyphs usable at any time. There is still a limit of one minor glyph per spell.

Like other classes, there is a more specific shift towards ‘class fantasy’ reinforcing that same idea of what it means to play each spec. There hasn’t been much ability overlap even previously but it’s even more specific now, even going so far as to identifying each spec with a specific pet and dot spells.

All specs share the same main damage CD (Doomguard or Infernal) and had the iconic 10 minute CD reduced to 3 minutes, main mana regeneration source (Life Tap) and main damage reduction CD (Unending Resolve) as well share the same damage reduction passive (Soul Leech).

Affliction

Affliction Warlocks’ fantasy focuses on damage over time spells and the souls of their enemies. Core abilities have basically remained unchanged for the most part and all retained their DoT components but have had their roles refined and changed. The artifact weapon is a two handed staff called Ulthalesh, the Deadwind Harvester.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Affliction warlocks are masters of shadow-touched powers, but unlike shadow priests—deadliest when pushed to the brink of insanity—these warlocks delight in using fel forces to cause intense pain and suffering in others. They revel in corrupting minds and agonizing souls, leaving enemies in a state of torment that would see them undone in due time. Even the most battle-hardened warriors can be deceived, landing blow after blow against the warlock, only to succumb to their suffering as their very vitality is siphoned away by the dark spellcaster.
    • Corruption is now just a damaging ability and no longer generates Soul Shards.
    • Agony is the new Soul Shard generator and still retains the stacking mechanic it had.
    • Unstable Affliction is now the nuking spell of the spec, its’ damage functions in a similar way that Ignite does with Mages and is the main spell that consumes Soul Shards.
    • The Artifact ability Reap Souls gives you a damage buff per soul that has been reaped from the enemy, souls are gained by damaging an enemy and are stored around the target until you reap them.
    • The Felhunter is the designated pet of Affliction.

Destruction

Destruction Warlocks’ fantasy focuses on being a master of all things chaos, calling down fire to burn and demolish their enemies. Destruction retained all their core abilities but what they do for you has changed slightly. The artifact weapon is a two handed staff called Scepter of Sargeras.

Warlocks who command the power of destruction favor incantations of pure chaos and aggression in battle. In this regard, they’d find a stronger kinship with fire mages than warlocks of other disciplines—if not for their propensity to make use of magic deemed detestable by all mage orders. The destruction warlock is well-versed in discharging a dizzying array of shadow, fel, fire, and chaos magics upon opponents that rattle souls and conflagrate bodies. They require little motivation for the havoc they wreak, happy to revel in the destruction they cause—thrilled at any opportunity to watch the world erupt in discord around them. Warlocks who command the power of destruction favor incantations of pure chaos and aggression.
    • Immolate is still the only dot effect for Destruction Warlocks and is a Soul Shard generator per tick of damage it deals.
    • Incinerate is now just a normal filler spell doing nothing special.
    • Conflagrate is now a main resource generator and no longer decreases cast time of Incinerate or Chaos Bolt.
    • Chaos Bolt remains as the resource spender and retains the resource cost of 2 Soul Shards per cast.
    • The Artifact ability is called Dimensional Rift which rips a hole in time and space opening a portal damaging your target.
    • The Imp is the designated pet for Destruction.

Demonology

Demonology Warlocks’ fantasy focuses on being a master of demons with the ability to compel demonic powers to aid them. This is the spec that has gone through the most changes and lost a number of core abilities (RIP Metamorphosis). The artifact weapon is an off-hand (and dagger) called Skull of the Man’ari and Spine of Thal’kiel respectively.

By their very nature, demons are leeches on the living universe—but the demonologist has mastered harnessing the power of these malefic beings on the field of battle. Warlocks harvest the souls of their defeated enemies; those specialized in the ways of demonology use this life essence to tap into the Void, pulling all manner of abomination from the chaos of the Twisting Nether. While such a practice is often considered by outsiders to be wicked and reckless, the demonologist maintains absolute control over the summoned creatures. These malignant entities are fully beholden to—and empowered by—the will of the warlock, until banished to the realm from whence they came.
    • Doom is the ‘only’ damaging over time ability of the spec which deals its’ damage in one lump sum at the end of its’ duration also granting a Soul Shard when it does damage. I say it’s the ‘only’ DoT because it is the only traditional DoT that the spec retained.
    • Shadow Bolt is still the main spell for resource generation, main filler spell.
    • Hand of Gul’dan was changed to have a summoning effect; for every Soul Shard it uses (1 minimum to 4 maximum) it summons a Wild Imp in return. It is one of two main resource spenders and is essentially just a fancy dot ability.
    • Call Dreadstalkers is a resource spender that costs 2 Soul Shards per cast on a 15 second cooldown, it always summons 2 Dreadstalkers per cast. This is the second main resource spender, you can consider this also as a fancy dot ability with a cooldown.
    • Demonic Empowerment is a new core ability which when casted empowers all your current demons causing them to have increased haste and health. You want your pets to be empowered as much as possible.
    • The Artifact ability is Thal’kiel’s Consumption which drains life from your demons and deals a portion of their combined health as damage to the enemy.
    • The Felguard is the designated pet for Demonology.

TL;DR

The resource system was overhauled so that all specs use the same resource; Soul Shards.
    Affliction is still a master of DoTs, heavily emphasizing on having as many enemies affected by them as possible.
    Destruction is mostly unchanged, retained basically everything about it.
    Demonology received the most changes, emphasizing on summoning and buffing their demons while manipulating their health and damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    After playing on the PTR since it was updated to 7.0.3 i've had a hard time deciding between if I like Destro or Demo more. I Don't like how Afflic feels plus it felt somewhat boring?

I know one thing is for sure, that my Heroic Tier set bonuses + class trinket make Demo OP AF, destro can't even get Close to matching the DPS. I've mained my Warlock since MoP and I love it, just really can't decide on a spec - and I know I need to regarding my Artifact weapon levelling etc. I hate playing "catch up" after being unable to settle on a class/spec and missing out on the first Tier of raiding lol.

Nice write up Woz, you have any idea as far as pre patch goes and going into Legion what you feel is strongest or do they all balance out well?

I haven't had as much time to test as much this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberthug32 View Post
    Nice write up Woz, you have any idea as far as pre patch goes and going into Legion what you feel is strongest or do they all balance out well?

I haven't had as much time to test as much this time around.
    In prepatch I'd just play whatever you want. Get a feeling for them all and decide from there. So far I've like Demo and Destro the most because I loathe Soul Effigy and everything it stands for.

I think overall they're pretty balanced but they still have their niches regardless like always.

Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    In prepatch I'd just play whatever you want. Get a feeling for them all and decide from there. So far I've like Demo and Destro the most because I loathe Soul Effigy and everything it stands for.

I think overall they're pretty balanced but they still have their niches regardless like always.
    Purely out of curiosity, why the hate for Soul Effigy?

I can't stand Soul Effigy either, needing to target some random target in game to do more dmg and then it transfers. It's a pain in the behind!!!

I've been playing since Vanilla, and I surely do miss the old school affliction.

- - - Updated - - -

Woz, what talents you leaning towards on say Demo for single target and such? If you don't mind me asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberthug32 View Post
    Woz, what talents you leaning towards on say Demo for single target and such? If you don't mind me asking.
    The guide will be out soon .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by demonicpanda View Post
    Purely out of curiosity, why the hate for Soul Effigy?
    I don't like the forced permanent prismatic crystal and the lack of ways to make a good way to make a target frame is really lackluster. You're forced to basically use focus to have a good indicator for your dots is also really annoying from a progression raiding mindset. Also there are a lot of movement fights where you out range effigy and you just straight lose your 10 (or 20) stack agony plus recasting it makes you lose your focus further making life more tedious

7+ Year Old Account
    had 2 questions for you

1. How are the Warlock pets tanking ability? (early in the alpha I found when my pets tanked leveling mobs they seemed to die a lot)

2. How much does RNG play into the Destro lock playstyle?

Would also like to hear a quick Tl;dr on the fun of each spec from your perspective

1. I've never had an issue with pets tankin for a while. Also health funnel is very OP.
    2. Doesn't really affect anything huge, that you notice in terms of gameplay. The RNG is all from the numbers side of things.

Fun?
    Aff: Soul Flame that's all.
    Destro: Wreak Havoc + Roaring Blaze is the most fun I've had playing Destro for a while.
    Demo: I like the pet management and tight rotation(s).

Everyone is different though.

What is the inscription made item that will let us respec when not in a rest area?

Destruction is mostly unchanged, retained basically everything about it.
    Not sure I necessarily agree here. Resource generation changes heavily promote Destro as a multi-dotter playstyle, and the loss of baseline Shadowburn and Backdraft are big changes to baseline playstyle.

Also life tap D:

10+ Year Old Account
    It totally depends on your talent choices, hell if you take Shadowburn, F&B, Sac and Soul Conduit it is almost copy paste of live Destruction.

Demo got the nerf hammer pretty hard on beta, ive been doing damage tests for all three specs, and my personal opinion will differ then some.

In legion Aff is probably one of the most boring specs i have played yet. In wod it was frustrating because of the amount of times you had to refresh your dots on a fight, making it quite a task to multi dot 3 targets like on council if you tried it. It was meh to alright to play, it was not completely boring if you had 4 set and a decent set of gear. This looks to be a good spec in the Nighthold raid, and maybe nightmare if they continue with the nerfs. The GOSAC nerf did do a bit to the damage for aff, but it still did better then demo.

Destro looks to be a pretty fun spec! With the 1st talent tree going to either backdraft for quicker Chaos bolts (Its incredibly slow without HFC's tier set and this) or Roaring blaze for doing a good amount of immolate damage. It does good on single target fights, and great on 2-3 target fights with wreak havoc. The biggest change to destro is its lack of AOE ability. Its good for short term cleave with Cata and havoc, FNB needs Incincs damage on the artifact to be fully utilized. Anything that survives a long period of time with more than 4 mobs, we are just going to be terrible at. The other classes just do it so much better and efficiently, and still do great damage. This spec will do great in the Nightmare raid! and i hope that it can still continue into nighthold.

Demo was actually in the mix to being a very fun and competitive spec, then they nerfed the artifact to deal 40% less damage. It was hitting for 600k-1.6m on targets if you were very good at managing pets and DE, now it hits on avg for 330-700k from the testing i was doing last night (i wanted to do more but i am sick with bad headaches). This really hurts on single/two target fights where demo thrives, because it was a solid ability if timed right. I enjoy the rotation and abilities of the new demo, and your pets actually talk with you and the artifact! I wish all the demons would talk while playing warlock specs, it makes it actually quite enjoyable. The damage was quite good leading into this week, then it got nerfed decently hard, so now its at a point where its mediocre for single target, and is still quite horrid for anything AOE compared to other specs.

At this time its looking like for Emerald Nightmare Destro > Aff > Demo and for Nighthold AFF > Destro > Demo.

I was really hoping demo would get buffed a bit along with the other specs to match some of the other classes, but instead warlocks got nerfed. We are now going to be the middle to low end of the dps on most fights at this time. Unless we are lucky with legendary drops or the other players in the raid are not up to par.

Your satisfaction and POV may be different from mine. I am a mythic raider, straight out of the gates progression, i have to be able to find which is the most optimal spec for each fight and execute it at the highest level. Figuring out which stat weights work and what doesnt, what talents work and which dont. Hopefully there will be some beneficial changes before legion drops, or we as a class will just have to suffer it through and do our best.
    Last edited by Shimejii; 2016-07-19 at 01:36 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    So just had my first experience playing demo. It seems that there is almost no aoe unless you talent for it, and doing so gimps your ST? Is this the case or have I completely missed a spell somewhere. About to do a destro mythic and tbh it looks the same situation. Is this the model they are going for in Legion?

Quote Originally Posted by Viggers View Post
    So just had my first experience playing demo. It seems that there is almost no aoe unless you talent for it, and doing so gimps your ST? Is this the case or have I completely missed a spell somewhere. About to do a destro mythic and tbh it looks the same situation. Is this the model they are going for in Legion?
    Yes. Our AOE will be Shit compared to other classes in long term aoe. Burst AOE the imps and other spells do decently. But we will be 2-3 target cleaving at most.

Deleted
    I think I will go destro with LEGION and maybe Affliction for PvP. Sadly that means I have to level two artifact weapons?

Well maybe destro will be alright in PvP in Legion. Gotta wait and see

Warlock 7.0.3 Legion Pre-patch Guide

I've seen several people asking for a warlock 7.0.3 Legion pre-patch guide, so I hope this helps you guys out.

If you're unsure of the best talents, stat priorities and damage rotations for all three warlock specs; affliction, demonology and destruction in the Legion 7.0.3 pre-patch, then this video may be useful.

There's no talk about the changes from WoD or tooltips/details of every individual spell, because everyone probably knows these by now.

This is mainly a guide for PvE (raiding) so may not be appropriate for PvP or other content.

Remember this is a basic guide just to get you started and is purely based around the 7.0.3 pre-patch, not Legion itself.

If you want to jump to a specific section there are time stamps in the description of the video.

3 mil gold.
    Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.

Hey guys,

How are you all finding the changes? For me i'm very uncertain, i love warlock but i'm not overly enjoying the changes at all, i know the artifact weapons will change alot of things but as of right now i'm just not sure.

What spec do people like for leveling?

Getting my Warlock alt from like 93 to 100, still kind of figuring things out. Should I chose a spec based on Legion artifact? Never going to be a Mythic raider so, more about efficiency and fun, good for dungeons, etc.