Poll: What would others consider you as?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Pessimistic. If you don't fight the flow, the flow will drown you. Optimists rely on kidding to themselves and covering their eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Those three don't even go together..
    Realists can come to different conclusions. Positive or negative. Optimistic or pessimistic. often a mix of it.
    The opposite of realist is a dreamer, or idealist.
    A pessimist is what an optimist calls a realist. And vice versa.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Pessimistic. If you don't fight the flow, the flow will drown you. Optimists rely on kidding to themselves and covering their eyes.
    That's... not even remotely what being an optimist means.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Greatly depends on the topic. I like to believe I'm a realist at least, which is why I'm not consistently one or the other - but most consider me an optimist.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    That's... not even remotely what being an optimist means.
    Optimistics look forward to the positives, glass half full kind of people yeah?

Deleted
    Realist by me and my friends, deranged xenophobic lunatic by anyone from the left

Pessimists always call themselves "realists" in order to falsely justify their cynical views... Mostly to themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Optimist starts a working day telling themselves, "This day is going to be awesome and productive!"
    'Realist' (what people mean by it) starts a working day telling themselves, "Well, I don't know how it is going to go. We shall see".
    Pessimist starts a working day telling themselves, "This day is going to be awful boring and a waste of time".

It is about the attitude, not the perception of reality. No one is covering their eyes, people just expect different things in their life.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thenconfuciussaid View Post
    Do you not see an opportunist also being in the same category as a realist; rather than saying those two are completely different or opposites?
    hmm. interesting. I guess they can be paired up.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

I agree with your initial comment to that reply. Optimism you can say, relies more on faith than hope.
    I have faith that I will become president vs I hope I become president.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thenconfuciussaid View Post
    I agree with your initial comment to that reply. Optimism you can say, relies more on faith than hope.
    I have faith that I will become president vs I hope I become president.
    I'd say it is more about what you focus on. Suppose, you have a job interview, and you can't predict the result. If you are an optimist, you will think something like, "I will do my best and try to hit the job. If I don't, it's okay, I have a lot of options left". As a pessimist, you would instead think, "Oh, this interview is so important and scary... I might fail, and that would be horrible. I will still try to succeed, but, welp."