Deleted

Best Loot system? Guild.

Hey!
    So, We're a newly formed guild, but we're not sure how to manage the loot system,
    So my question is,
    Is personal loot the best to go all the way?
    we'll still trade if so, or is Gmaster looter best?

(we're not sure about raiding mythic yet)
    we're about 15-19 players, prio is normal / heroics, we raid 1 day a week.

Or could u start with personal loot and then swap over to GML?
    Last edited by mmoca917585ee9; 2016-08-08 at 01:03 PM.

Deleted
    It always depends on the personnel in the guild as to what works best.

The main thing is to refuse to let loot ever become a source of drama. First week or two my raid team will be using personal loot, and then it'll switch back to the 4/5 person loot council - backed for tier sets by the theorycrafters showing which set bonuses are the greatest gains.

There is no one-size-fits-all approach, I'm not on the loot council in my guild, but I tell the loot council what fight we're doing next/what strategy (or the boss I expect to be a bit of a roadblock) and their responsibility is to gear us as best as possible to face it.

Probably sounds like a horrendous system when fleshed out a little more, but it works and it works reasonably well for us without any drama.

After 11 or god knows how many years of WoW and distributing loot I can tell you one thing:
    There is no "best" loot system but in general there are two systems: A council type and a points type.

Both systems has it's flaws so it is important that you choose a loot system your guild is willing to accept.
    For the more mature guild progressing mythic I suggest a council type loot system. For these players gear is a tool for progression.
    For the more new/lower level raiding guilds I suggest a council type or point loot system depending on the wants/needs/trust within the guild.

Personal Loot
    I believe in Normal/Heroic that personal loot will be the way to go but have yet to see confirmation. From what I gather the drop % is higher for loot.
    Mythic is a different story though obviously.

Council Types
    This is the method we use. We use an addon called RCLootcouncil but obviously a GM distributing loot is similar (or other methods).
    With RCLootCouncil each player gets buttons defined by the council (like BiS, Main Spec, Off Spec) and a pre-selected group (GM, Officers, Members, whoever you choose) get to vote on who to assign loot to. In addition to this we discuss it in a seperate channel on our voice communication. Also players can set special notes next to their choice which the council can see. As an example: we agreed players set 2 or 4 set bonus in their note if they gain this from an item. But i know other guildies also set notes for trinkets (AoE, Cleave or Single Target).

The weakness of this system is that the guild needs to fully trust the council that they are doing their best.
    The guild needs to be mature about it and see loot as a tool. The council themselves also need some knowledge on gearing.

Point systems
    Point systems like DKP or EP/GP are systems where players bid their earned points to get loot.
    It is quite automated and easier/faster to use.

The weakness of this system is the so called "hoarding" of points which has a number of negative consequences. As a small example: Back in TBC when we used this system everyone was hoarding up points for tier items. This ment that it took weeks for anyone to get a 2 set bonus and months to get a 4 set bonus. There are also quite some other bad quirks with this system (due to how roles work). It is also unfriendly towards newer members that haven't stockpiled a hoard of points yet, making it impossible for them to gear up.

Good luck choosing a system but make sure your officers support it and guildies understand the choice.
    Last edited by Celestraza; 2016-08-08 at 02:41 PM.

Would add that point systems award attendance, however if your group is not strict, you end up destroying that value via resets for returning players and new members.

Am actively pushing for our guild to move to RCLootCouncil, for us it should speed loot distribution and we are already using "loot council" to assign 2 and 4pc tier. Also believe Relics are going to be something people would hoard for in a point system as that is only way to upgrade your Artifact iLvl. Further the introduction of Titanforged is also going to promote hoarding in point systems so that person can snag a Mythic+ level piece of gear (we raid Heroic).

Depends on the guild, but Council has been damn good for us.

if you are trying to progress then loot council is probably what you want to do since you can gear out the main raiders quicker so progression happens faster...but any system that has a chance of robbing someone from gear will always start drama. If your goal is not mythic and you're just a chill guild then personal loot is the way to go. No drama and if someone gets something they don't need they can give it to whomever they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guild is fairly casual and we're just going to stick with PL. Probably for the best for us too since apparently most of the people I will be raiding with don't want class diversity in our raid group. xD
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Deleted
    Personal system is worse for guilds because you'll be getting a lot of drops that you don't need and you can not trade. It would be better if you could trade everything. But the restrictions are very severe especially if you go undergeared.

if you're not going to have a loot council, just use personal

point systems, dkp etc are really the worst of both worlds