Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Run wow with just processor?

Hello guys. I am a bit tight financially and I wanna build a pc as slowly and keep adding stuff.

Specifically I wanna ask about an idea a friend threw. Is it possible to run and raid decently in wow without a graphics card but just Intel core i5 6500?

Nope. You can get an i3-6100 and GTX 750Ti for the same money though.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The integrated graphics chipset on your motherboard is going to determine whether that's possible, and what kind of performance you can expect. The newer Intel HD chips should indeed be capable of meeting the bare minimum graphics requirements for World of Warcraft: Legion, but you shouldn't expect any kind of impressive settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    The integrated graphics chipset on your motherboard is going to determine whether that's possible, and what kind of performance you can expect. The newer Intel HD chips should indeed be capable of meeting the bare minimum graphics requirements for World of Warcraft: Legion, but you shouldn't expect any kind of impressive settings.
    Integraded graphics is on the processor die. Motherboard only determines the I/O capabilities of that IGP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Wrong. You can most asuredly run the game on the integrated graphics.
    OP asked if you can "decently raid". Which you cannot do.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Nope. You can get an i3-6100 and GTX 750Ti for the same money though.
    Where exactly are you getting a 750Ti for $50?

Quote Originally Posted by Msshammy View Post
    Where exactly are you getting a 750Ti for $50?
    i5-6500 is $200, i3-6100 is $110, 750ti is $100.

Deleted
    Motherboard I am having is gigabyte Z170. My budget is severely lower now till I get payed hence I am looking at the possibility of just raiding with the cpu(intel i5 6500) until I can afford a good gpu as well down the road

Some feedbacks are saying I can indeed raid with the cpu alone, others say I cannot. Which is true :P

10+ Year Old Account
    He can play WoW on the iGPU just fine... Put everything into lowest possible settings and be happy. You should even be able to leave the resolution in its native value.

What about an APU chip? A top end APU should run wow just fine on low to med settings.

Deleted
    you can run wow on built in graphics but dnt expect ultra settings, i dnt think APU's or intergrated moterboard graphics are even that good, otherwise why would people have seperate GPU's

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrol View Post
    Motherboard I am having is gigabyte Z170. My budget is severely lower now till I get payed hence I am looking at the possibility of just raiding with the cpu(intel i5 6500) until I can afford a good gpu as well down the road

Some feedbacks are saying I can indeed raid with the cpu alone, others say I cannot. Which is true :P
    You can play WoW just fine with just the CPU. Don't buy a lower CPU and cheap video card just to replace it soon. You are better off going with the i5 and saving for a video card. You won't be able to play with high settings but it will run just fine. The IGP is actually pretty decent anymore.

the internal gpu on skylake is actually pretty good for wow on low settings..it have done a pretty good performance jump. 20-25% or so in wow

one can expect 40-90 fps in world content on lowest settings 1080p
    Last edited by wooters; 2016-08-01 at 02:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Integraded graphics is on the processor die. Motherboard only determines the I/O capabilities of that IGP.
    - - - Updated - - -
    OP asked if you can "decently raid". Which you cannot do.
    It all depends on what you call "raid decently" I used to raid on an old Dell desktop with integrated graphics in Wrath. It is possible, but you'll probably get between 15 and 25 FPS on mid low to low settings. You'll have to play around with the gfx settings and as usual your mileage may vary. The issue with asking on a forum like this is that you'll get snobbish answers that say "unless you're running 60fps at mid high settings you're doing it wrong". WoW is designed to work on a toaster with the right settings. Just try it out and set it up for your rig.

Deleted
    if your on a budget for gaming id go with AMD as intel are pretty expensive and so are nvidia, which is why i went with AMD, i dnth ave anything aginst nvidia or intel i just cant afford there pricetags

Can run it fine on low settings with the built in Intel HD or amd APUs. But if you are willing to shell out a bit more for a decent GPU then go for a 750 TI. Some 750 TI models don't actually require a 6 pin connector either and can be run from crappier PSU's although I would not recommend it. Also @Morbol with everything set to low you should have no trouble raiding but I would keep an eye out on the 750 TI.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-08-01 at 02:51 PM.

I actually bought my mother this laptop:
    https://www.amazon.com/Asus-F555LA-A...eywords=laptop

I was bored and installed WoW on it, queued up for archimonde LFR and on fair settigns it was pulling > 30 FPS, totally playable. I am sure an i5's integrated graphics is even faster, could probably go to medium.

..please don't get an AMD processor for wow* - this is horrible advice for any budget. a pentium is better.

get your 6500, as others have said you will be able raid on low settings with the igpu.

*nobody cares if a cheap amd cpu plays call of duty 17 with 8 fps higher, we are talking about wow specifically. this dead horse has been flogged so bad it is just a pile of putrid gloop.

edit: why is nobody reading the original post?

Hello guys. I am a bit tight financially and I wanna build a pc as slowly and keep adding stuff.
    they are not building a pc to play with integrated graphics, they are asking if integrated graphics is a possibility while they save up to buy their graphics card later.
    Last edited by the boar; 2016-08-02 at 09:16 PM.

for the best integrated graphics experience go with an AMD APU

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Msshammy View Post
    You can play WoW just fine with just the CPU. Don't buy a lower CPU and cheap video card just to replace it soon. You are better off going with the i5 and saving for a video card. You won't be able to play with high settings but it will run just fine. The IGP is actually pretty decent anymore.
    This. wow is so cpu tied you will be better off with the i5 and upgrading the gpu later. Maybe you could get a mb with sli support to future proof

Guys, you are not reading the OP.

Yes, you can play WoW on the iGPU of a Skylake i5. It won't be on highest settings, but it'll run.