Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Iraqi asylum seeker, armed with a knife, stopped by Finnish police with tasers

http://yle.fi/uutiset/irakilaismies_...imella/9074584

You'll have to translate it from Finnish.

The man had struck one person in the neck with the knife, although that person blocked the strike and didn't get injured too badly. He also swung at another person, and someone else stepped in the way and got their hands injured. The man also had held the knife at the neck of a third person, but didn't harm them.

Finnish police took the suspect down using "etälamautin", which translates to "ranged stunner" or something like that, which I'm going to assume means a taser (gun), as opposed to bean bags or something like that. Still, nonlethal force.

I think the commentary on this is self-evident. Both in how the police acts, as well as the asylum seeker situation in Finland.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-08-05 at 03:54 PM.

Why, is he the only asylum seeker?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

"Armed with a knife". So a true Finn eh?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    "Armed with a knife". So a true Finn eh?
    Well, we have very strict restrictions on who gets to own a gun. I get your joke though.

We have a knife control mega thread for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I'd say it belongs more in the gun control thread because its a good example of how the lives of people are endangered by taking a chance that a feral savage, who's stabbing people at random, will succumb to -often- inefficient and unreliable non-lethal means before he can kill somebody.

btw did the guy who got stabbed in the neck survive?
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Deleted
    What in the name of Jesus has that to do with this story?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    I'd say it belongs more in the gun control thread because its a good example of how the lives of people are endangered by taking a chance that a feral savage, who's stabbing people at random, will succumb to -often- inefficient and unreliable non-lethal means before he can kill somebody.

Sorry... So you're telling me that an incident with a guy going berserk and no one dies... Proves ANYTHING in favour of a pro gun view or police brutality?

Deleted
    will succumb to -often- inefficient and unreliable non-lethal means before he can kill somebody.
    Unless the target is under the influence of heavy narcotics, they will go down after a good stun hit - alternatively if you're really fast you can snap the cables but that requires you to be either trained or really fast, and you'll still feel it.

He was able to partially deflect it with his hands, the person is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    What in the name of Jesus has that to do with this story?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry... So you're telling me that an incident with a guy going berserk and no one dies... Proves ANYTHING in favour of a pro gun view or police brutality?
    It was supposed to be humorous. It seemed relevant but, I can't read Finnish. /shrug

Deleted
    It was supposed to be humorous. It seemed relevant but, I can't read Finnish. /shrug
    And now look... Look at what you did!!!

Deleted
    Note that these guys are getting violent simply because they're being sent back to (mostly) Iraq; there's no evidence of any kind of "terrorism" here. Violent outbursts have risen here as asylum requests have been denied more as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Unless the target is under the influence of heavy narcotics, they will go down after a good stun hit - alternatively if you're really fast you can snap the cables but that requires you to be either trained or really fast, and you'll still feel it.
    This company made a next-gen sniper rifles that come with an array of sensors that can detect wind speed/direction, light refraction, gravitational deflection and even the curvature of the earth then use all that data to calculate the trajectory of a fired bullet and feed it to a freaking IPad.

Know why the military didn't want it? Too many points of failure. That's why I'm against tasers being the default or go-to tool for LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Nope I'm telling you I don't like taking a chance that a critical tool will fail when innocent lives are at risk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Note that these guys are getting violent simply because they're being sent back to (mostly) Iraq; there's no evidence of any kind of "terrorism" here. Violent outbursts have risen here as asylum requests have been denied more as time goes on.
    Those people in general were born and raised in a part of the world where violence is normal, where savage treatment of women/gays/etc is norm, where civility is a luxury, and where society is something built upon the concept of strife rather than on peace; ie tribalism.

That has a massive effect on their psyche and its why they shouldn't be forced into cultures that are in direct conflict with their way of life.

This violence is rampant and will continue to be so regardless of how much denial there is of it.
    MAGA

This company made a next-gen sniper rifles that come with an array of sensors that can detect wind speed/direction, light refraction, gravitational deflection and even the curvature of the earth then use all that data to calculate the trajectory of a fired bullet and feed it to a freaking IPad.

Know why the military didn't want it? Too many points of failure. That's why I'm against tasers being the default or go-to tool for LEO.

Nope I'm telling you I don't like taking a chance that a critical tool will fail when innocent lives are at risk.

- - - Updated - - -

Those people in general were born and raised in a part of the world where violence is normal, where savage treatment of women/gays/etc is norm, where civility is a luxury, and where society is something built upon the concept of strife rather than on peace; ie tribalism.

That has a massive effect on their psyche and its why they shouldn't be forced into cultures that are in direct conflict with their way of life.

This violence is rampant and will continue to be so regardless of how much denial there is of it.
    didnt take long to turn this into a gun vs knife debate zzzzzzzzzzz

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    http://yle.fi/uutiset/irakilaismies_...imella/9074584

You'll have to translate it from Finnish.

The man had struck one person in the neck with the knife, although that person blocked the strike and didn't get injured too badly. He also swung at another person, and someone else stepped in the way and got their hands injured. The man also had held the knife at the neck of a third person, but didn't harm them.

Finnish police took the suspect down using "etälamautin", which translates to "ranged stunner" or something like that, which I'm going to assume means a taser (gun), as opposed to bean bags or something like that. Still, nonlethal force.

I think the commentary on this is self-evident. Both in how the police acts, as well as the asylum seeker situation in Finland.
    It is only fitting, that the mentioned refugee center is located in what was previously an insane asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    didnt take long to turn this into a gun vs knife debate zzzzzzzzzzz
    Not much to the topic other than knives, tazers, and ME migrant violence. Did I miss something?
    MAGA

Deleted
    Military doesn't do police work nor would police use such a weapon. They extensively use the tazer here and in almost all cases both the police and the person it was being used on live to tell the tale and without any permanent injuries.

Fact of life is that it's an extremely effective, safe and cost effective tool (in both money and lives saved). The worst injuries so far have been due to the person falling down and hitting themselves on something - I'd say that's a small price to pay.

Military doesn't do police work nor would police use such a weapon. They extensively use the tazer here and in almost all cases both the police and the person it was being used on live to tell the tale and without any permanent injuries.

Fact of life is that it's an extremely effective, safe and cost effective tool (in both money and lives saved). The worst injuries so far have been due to the person falling down and hitting themselves on something - I'd say that's a small price to pay.
    I'm sure tasers work better in places where the other guy doesn't have a shoulder mounted fully automatic RPG that shoots nuclear warheads. This is an actual concern in the US.

7+ Year Old Account
    It was humorous. Fuck the other guy.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

No one died. What chances are you even talking about

He was able to partially deflect it with his hands, the person is fine.
    Completely false. You don't have to be under the influence for the tasers to have zero effect. stop peddling this anti gun bullshit. You put a knife to someone's neck you've given away all consideration for protecting your life, and deserve to die. period.