What to look for in a new monitor

So ill be upgrading my current main 27inch and id like to get somthing with some better resolution and such. Not sure what refresh rate to look for. I just dumped a 1070 in my tower and my main monitor is running at 1920x1080. So what are the specs i should look for to get an idea of browsing.

10+ Year Old Account
    1440p or 120+hz

If rich enough then both of these together.

Panel type is down to preference game types but i would go with IPS.

Also gsync for extra £

Depends on the games you play and how much you want to spend. IMO the best technology is not gsync but ULMB/lightboost, this give a smoothness similar to the old gaming CRT's.

Since you are used to 27" you probably wouldnt want to go down, this is what id generally recommend to people:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/JkCw...onitor-xl2720z

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/gaming-...z-200hz-240hz/

Sort by adaptive sync, look through the G-Syncs. Not easy to give an answer without knowing budget, games you intend to play, and what size screen you're looking for.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    http://www.144hzmonitors.com/gaming-...z-200hz-240hz/

Sort by adaptive sync, look through the G-Syncs. Not easy to give an answer without knowing budget, games you intend to play, and what size screen you're looking for.
    I play mmos to fps games to rts. really all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Then go 1440p 144hz. With FPS, you will appreciate the high frames. If budget constricts you to either resolution or refresh rate, I'd prioritize refresh rate in almost every situation. Especially with more modern games, the 144hz let's the 1070 stretch, not wasting any of it's potential.

You'd be happy with the one i linked, its not the "prettiest" monitor you can get but it has low motion blur technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    You'd be happy with the one i linked, its not the "prettiest" monitor you can get but it has low motion blur technology.
    is there one with 1440p? Im doing well these months so i can afford to get both in one.

is there one with 1440p? Im doing well these months so i can afford to get both in one.
    Oh wasnt sure you wanted to ball at that level lol:

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/mon...=a8&page=1&A=1

They are obviously all good panels, rog swift being the most popular of the bunch that dell is fairly new but people seem to like it.

Oh wasnt sure you wanted to ball at that level lol:

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/mon...=a8&page=1&A=1

They are obviously all good panels, rog swift being the most popular of the bunch that dell is fairly new but people seem to like it.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0149QBOF0/?tag=pcpapi-20

looks pretty solid. While ill never buy a dell tower, are thier screens reputable?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0149QBOF0/?tag=pcpapi-20

looks pretty solid. While ill never buy a dell tower, are thier screens reputable?
    Ya they have long been known as one of the top monitor producers, especially their well made stands.

Ya they have long been known as one of the top monitor producers, especially their well made stands.
    Another question about getting one of these will obviously be a higher strain on the gpu, now if i get this ill most likely hook it up in the middle of my current 2 27inchs, in non windowmode are the 2 extra monitors stressing the gpu and if it is is there a way to have them shut off when a game goes full screen to avoid this?

Another question about getting one of these will obviously be a higher strain on the gpu, now if i get this ill most likely hook it up in the middle of my current 2 27inchs, in non windowmode are the 2 extra monitors stressing the gpu and if it is is there a way to have them shut off when a game goes full screen to avoid this?
    Nah just having them on for web browsing or whatever wont be a noticeable performance loss, streamers do this all the time.

then get a 120Hz - 144Hz, as it will allow for 120 FPS or 144 FPS respectively with out screen tearing, the High FPS will help in FPS games ( ... that sentence is boardline pun-ish :/ )

as for resolution with a 1070 can push 1440P easy.

getting a G-sync monitor is not a bad idea but its a hell of a price premium.

lastly you need to settle on getting an TN or IPS monitor

IPS has more vivid colors and better viewing angles but they have very slightly slower response time compared to and equivalent TN panel typical response time for a high quality TN is 1ms where an identical monitor that is IPS would be 4ms not really enough of a difference to even consider a TN panel, the reason being is TN has poor color reproduction and very poor viewing angles.

so your options are

Refresh rate: 60Hz - 120Hz - 144Hz allowing for a max FPS with out tearing of 60FPS - 120FPS - 144FPS
    Resolution: 1080P or 1440P
    Adaptive refresh: G-sync ( Nvidia cards don't use free-sync at all last I checked )
    Type: TN or IPS ( I use IPS and will never go back to TN )
    Last edited by krunksmash; 2016-08-20 at 07:48 AM.
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

Deleted
    I recently got the Acer XB271HU. It is staggeringly good - but researching on the interwebs shows a worring amount of quality control issues. I seem to have gotten lucky - but people shouldn't need to get lucky when spending £600 on a monitor.

Its so good i'd still recommend getting one - just order from a company with a very good returns policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    I recently got the Acer XB271HU. It is staggeringly good - but researching on the interwebs shows a worring amount of quality control issues. I seem to have gotten lucky - but people shouldn't need to get lucky when spending £600 on a monitor.

Its so good i'd still recommend getting one - just order from a company with a very good returns policy.
    I also want to buy the Acer XB271HU. Is a good one? should i buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    IPS has more vivid colors and better viewing angles but they have very slightly slower response time compared to and equivalent TN panel typical response time for a high quality TN is 1ms where an identical monitor that is IPS would be 4ms not really enough of a difference to even consider a TN panel, the reason being is TN has poor color reproduction and very poor viewing angles.
    TN has fine color representation and will look identical to IPS after calibrating it. I often see reviews and complaints about a 144hz TN panel they bought with washed up colors and faded blacks. I will bet money that 9/10 of them didn't bother recalibrating the color profile and just left it on factory default.

I own a TN for gamig and IPS for the extra screen and will tell you that after installing a profile, the TN shows extremely similar color and black quality compared to the IPS. Issue with TN is simply viewing angles. I so much as lean back on my chair and the TN starts to darken up so I tend to watch TV shows and movies on the IPS monitor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrei66 View Post
    I also want to buy the Acer XB271HU. Is a good one? should i buy it?
    What id suggest if you are in such a position is order one from amazon or another well regarded retailer with a good return policy then you can try it out for a while and see if you like it.

The monitor i liked did have plenty of quality control issues though so really check it out. The link below had a lot of discussion of these issues i found it useful but a bit long...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1581181/a...show-pics/6120

I absolutely love mine even for mmo's