Perfect Ten: My favorite features in RIFT/Massively Article

Source: http://massivelyop.com/2016/08/25/pe...tures-in-rift/

Pretty decent write up and top 10 is close to my top 10 for the game

RIFT receives too little of the MMORPG community’s attention, partially due to its age (six years now), contentious feelings toward Trion Worlds, or a perception that the game is “generic World of Warcraft.” And yet it’s endured and grown wonderfully over time, becoming a perfect rebound MMO when you grow bored of your current title and remember that, oh yeah, RIFT is out there. And it’s free. And it’s actually pretty good.

Right now I’m in the midst of what has become a yearly pilgrimage on my part to return to RIFT. The announcement of this fall’s expansion has nothing to do with it, I’m sure. As I’ve been leveling up a Rogue and getting to know some friends in a new guild, I keep making a mental list of how many features I absolutely adore in this game. RIFT might get overlooked, but it really shouldn’t. This is as full-featured a classic MMO as they come, and it’s only getting better.

So here’s my personal list of 10 favorite features and aspects of RIFT, in the hopes that perhaps your attention might drift back to Telara one of these days.

No it receives too little attention after the shit that was Nightmare Tide and their cash grabbing going beyond EA and Ubisoft combined. I'm sorry but yes companies need to make income on a f2p game or b2p with no sub. But Trion took it to a whole new level. I have nothing against the actual game itself just the "community managers" and "ambassadors" and the devs practices towards real money with said game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    No it receives too little attention after the shit that was Nightmare Tide and their cash grabbing going beyond EA and Ubisoft combined.
    Don't forget the Archeage and Devilian aura...

A LOT have been deceived and they won't Forget what TRION is, a team with 70% of bodyfat per capita.... Those peupel are sick, they need some nutritional help... you can't think correctly when your intestines and brains are full of poison and gaz ( constipation ).

A lot of Rift's issues are not in it's feature set, but in the actual presentation. I have always maintained that the art style of Rift was too off-putting for a mainstream audience. I don't dislike Rift's visuals or aesthetic, but it's not very accessible and does the game a disservice in advertisement.

The most successful advertising for the game was by comparison. And that only worked because it gave people an idea of what to expect (rightly or wrongly) that the game itself failed to communicate.

Communication of Rift's ideas and by extension gameplay has always been a struggling point for the game. Trion never got a handle on how to sell Rift despite terrific feature set and solid gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Communication of Rift's ideas and by extension gameplay has always been a struggling point for the game. Trion never got a handle on how to sell Rift despite terrific feature set and solid gameplay.
    Absolutely agree. Marketing and I would add a good balance of business model is something this game has struggled with.

It should never have adopted that "no tricks, no traps nonsense" and made the game B2P from the onset.

Adding a "tier below" gear to the store and then rushing raids was a bad move too. It would obviously enrage players who perceive F2P as P2W.

I don't personally care either way, but it does seem to evoke emotions of "shady" business from people I speak to in game.

Add to this the perceived Nickle and diming. We have a squirrel mount that eventually will need cash to be able to use its jump feature!
    It seems more and more P2W elements are creeping in (the dream essence double RNG thing) and silly things like giving a "premium" mount, but having to spend 15 bucks to make it amphibious. The special "credits only" minion adventures and the nerfed mat drop-rates on
    old minion adventures (to entice you to spend credits).

As it stands now, a new player will need to spend US$130 to enter the game with the basic souls (essentials pack), new expansion, unlock six minion slots and a month's patron. It's overpriced. Patron makes the game less grindy and if you're competitive, it is grindy as hell. Minions suck unless you have all the slots unlocked.

It's a real pity too because most of the game is actually a heckuva lot of fun and I've even seen some graphic and fps optimizations.

In addition, the CM's are grossly inadequate and overly strong-handed and the company comes across as very distant, arrogant and non-communicative. Many aspects of the game are over-priced. 50 bucks for a soul set when a player may only use one is way overpriced and off-putting. It should be no more than 10 bucks each.

Friends / community make the game and I recently actually got dragged back to a Harshmallows, a raiding guild on Gelidra with a really friendly bunch, but all are concerned that the game will enter a steep decline after a few months of the new expansion. I haven't bought the expansion, yet as I have much old content to experience, but already dropped about 90 bucks on a few things like earrings slots, 5 x minion slots, patron (these are essential to get maximum enjoyment), REX's (as I hate grinding for platinum). The things I have bought thus far I regard as good value. 40~50 bucks for essentially ONE soul is not good value and I refuse outright to purchase it. The essentials pack is also dumb as it doesn't include all the latest souls and I have most of the items already. I only play a cleric. Not interested in the primalist, and all the other redundant class souls.

I do notice the game crashes a lot more lately, however. Maybe if the 64 bit is implemented and the multi-core bugs work out, we'll see this resolved.

At the moment, I'm going to enjoy the time before the expansion comes out. The game is very, very expensive, however if you want it to feel like fun and not gimped and not a chore to do some things. I am probably going to end up going to something else, but all the content is new to me at the moment and the conversations on TeamSpeak are interesting.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2016-08-26 at 12:25 AM.

And all the above complaints are so tragic, because Rift had so much potential. Some of my favourite times raiding was in Rift. I loved every minute of it.

Then NT came, and I left.