Thread: The Burst Spec

Deleted

The Burst Spec

A question for these with 110 experience. Out of the Demo and destruction artifact abilities you gain, which one creates the best burst moments. With Destruction u can spamm portals along with your other spells, with demo you have TKC and maybe implosion? I know that destruction has on demand burst while demo needs to setup for it. But does the setup requirement pay off with bigger dmg, or is the 3 portal dmg just to much for TKC to compete? I ve seen TKC crit for 1,4m but that was before the nerf.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hard to answer really... Burst as in burst over 5 seconds, burst over 10 seconds, burst over 15 seconds?

Deleted
    I think nothing beats TKC followed by Implosion. I could be wrong though.

I've seen the Destruction portals do some ridiculous amounts of damage when you use all charges at once, which I assume is what you mean.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Hard to answer really... Burst as in burst over 5 seconds, burst over 10 seconds, burst over 15 seconds?
    I am thinking more of like a 7 sec window. In less than 5 sec i guess Demo will be stronger, because its just TKC --> implosion . Portals need some time to do all their dmg (at least 2 out of 3).

To clarify for the above posts (while rereading now my first post i realised my choice of words was not the best lol), i am not trying to compare TKC+ Implosion vs 3 portals. Its an imaginary situation where you wanna burst for the next 7 or so seconds, so you obviously will use use the formentioned spells while you are spamming your spells (destruction) or your demon army is spanking your target (demo).
    Last edited by mmoc0a8eb2d698; 2016-08-26 at 09:17 AM.

@ThePhantombox
    Now if only we had the Firestone for PVE...
    *sadorc*
    It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic... No, what the heck, I'll laugh anyway.

As a noob I'm just beginning to grasp that I need to be changing my build depending on the situation. So I'm really hoping the guides include this info. Would be very helpful
    Last edited by benjaminandjen; 2016-08-26 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantombox View Post
    holy cow!
    do portals shoot chaos bolts as well ? O.o

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjarl Grimblood View Post
    holy cow!
    do portals shoot chaos bolts as well ? O.o
    there are 3 types of portals that 1 is summoned randomly when you use the ability dimensional rift

1 green this fire 1 chunk of fel fire that is comparable to a chaos bolt

2 purple slow damage over time on a target the worst for burst

3 purple and green mixed pulsing damage which if it crits alot is very decent mid to high damage

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantombox View Post
    So thats like 1,5 million dmg (maybe a bit more) over 7 secs. Still wondering if Demo can do more..cant find anything though..

If you're gonna do nothing for 14s other than move a few yards plenty of specs are going to kill you.

In terms of damage output from a PvE perspective it's a decent amount, but not the only spec that can burst like that. Sometimes without using PvP only talents as well.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2016-08-28 at 02:15 PM.

He's obv using pvp talents there as well, he popped firestone right before the portals for instance.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by theblackharvest View Post
    So thats like 1,5 million dmg (maybe a bit more) over 7 secs. Still wondering if Demo can do more..cant find anything though..
    Ohh that +100% crit and +2 soul shards would be nice in PvE.

Destro has the best burst, but poor sustain. Demo has similar burst but better sustain.

In my experience demo is just the most versatile spec for locks, where as affliction is the rot king, and destro can do... well, what the linked video shows it can do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orwell7 View Post
    Ohh that +100% crit and +2 soul shards would be nice in PvE.

If i didnt miss any update crits in pvp should be 150% dmg. So lets say he crited half of his spells in a pve enviroment. Also the two soulshards are irrelevant in the timeframe of the video. If you also count that portals do some more dmg after he reaches 0 health.. thats give or take still 1,5 million dmg. No other pvp talents influence what you see in the video (he obviously doesnt use cremation). What might be missleading is not the 100% crit, its the mastery rolls (we dont know if he was lucky on his rolls or not). Pvp templates are not active in duels as far as i know sadly (pvp template gives destro only 25% mastery iirc)

That aside, from what Christonya said, destro and demo can have similar burst, which is a shame i guess considering the setup a good TKC needs and the small timeframe where you have to do "everything right"...