Please help- arcane constantly dying

Ok, first the disclaimer, I boosted my mage so I am fully prepared for the Learn to Play argument but that's why I'm here.

Yes I understand I am a noob and I suck etc etc.

Now with that out of the way, I typically play healers and or tanks with a lot of utility to survive and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to survive playing an arcane mage. I have read all the rotations etc but I still find myself dying all the time. Maybe I'm used to popping heals when I'm low on health.

Pointers appreciated.

Mage just doesn't have that much survivability honestly. It's pretty normal that you have to stop and eat food to heal yourself back to full after every 1-2 mobs. That's why mages have Conjure Refreshment, after all.

You could try using tons of CC and kiting, but it's often just easier face tanking and eating up.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of classes lost a bunch of their self heals, so even at low levels / ilvl we cant just mass pull everything like we did in Mop and WoD.

Blizzard has us thinking smart with our classes, we need to take advantage of class CC'S and different procs.

Stay out of melee range with slow and frost nova. Use ice barrier. That's all there is really.

Mages are hands down the least forgiving lvling class in the game. I have leveled every class and mages take patience. You need to use slow, blink, and the new ability arcane gets that will blink you back to original location, plus eat food. If you want a faceroll caster class to lvl play a lock, specifically affliction lock. I can literally pull as much if not more mobs at once with big blue stacking dots, and occasionally throwing a heal on blue. Basically get good at kiting, and being aware of your surroundings. Don't want to kite into a big group and get squished. Also remember you have to fail safe of improved invis.

15+ Year Old Account
    A few tips that might help:

Always keep ice barrier up; when I tackle a rare, I sometimes make sure I only have about 10 seconds left in the cd to use it again ASAP.

Use slow right after your first arcane blast. If you're at max casting distance, you can usually get two full blasts after the slow before they close the gap.

Take cold snap instead of shimmer as a talent; it adds a charge of ice block and it's a 30% heal while in the block, great way to extend fights.

Try the charged up talent; it gives you an instant 4 arcane charges, so if you use it then apply mark of Aluneth then spam arcane blast, you can push a lot of damage quickly, i.e, best defense is a good offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Befriending a tank and bringing him/her along helps alot with doing world quests efficiently. The fighter chow food grants 1000% out of combat health regeneration. That helps as well. The class hall champion Archmage Modera can be brought along in her function as bodyguard. She uses frost nova which keeps stuff off you. Ice Barrier is pretty good as arcane as mentioned.

Deleted
    Spec Fire, max out Cauterizing Blink.

Quote Originally Posted by Deiae View Post
    Befriending a tank and bringing him/her along
    That's way easier said than actually done in today's world.

Mage lvl-ing has been always a nightmare lol.

I leveled as Fire this time around. For me, I think Arcane was the most annoying to level as out of the 3 specs in previous expansions. Definitely not a class that can run through leveling. Carefully use Nova/Ice barrier/Blink(or shimmer). Invis is really nice when things get too out of hand. Ice floes is also nice to have to give a little more mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Spec Fire, max out Cauterizing Blink.

That's way easier said than actually done in today's world.
    No it's not. Tanks would love to have friend to level up with. They get so much flak in lfg pugs and probably would be reluctant at first but would warm up to the idea and would love your company. They are human players after all.

Unless we talking about those people that just always go solo then yeah. But that's not common from my experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just a matter of you getting too used to very forgiving classes (in terms of survivability). I'm a mage main since late TBC, and let me tell you, it teaches you to fear death. I've leveled as Arcane all the way in Legion, and my ONE death pre-110 was that laser thing in Stormheim which I didn't pay attention to, as I was also doing an arch digsite in the area.

You'll get the hang of it. Use your Slow, Nether Tempest, Mirror Image, etc. Ice Barrier is amazing now, compared to before. Also, although I didn't use it while leveling, having Kalecgos as your combat ally gives you a freezing slow thingy. Hang in there!

I always like to bring Modera out with me for her slows as well.

In my opinion, outdoor content with Arcane would be much more forgiving, if we still had the Glyph of Slow effect.
    For now, when outdoors as Arcane, I tend to just burst down a couple of mobs, then heal/mana up afterwards.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried to play some Arcane around 105ish, but it really was too squishy so went back to Frost, but even there by 108-109 I was chugging pots and food fairly frequently. Until that point, hadn't really had much problem - big stuff I was using Mirror Images to burn things down and provide the aggro dump, guess that could work for Arcane too.