Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Disappointed in Legions music

This is very strange for me because one of, if not the best thing about WoW for me is the music. I've got all the soundtracks. Trust me, I couldn't love Vanilla to WoD more. However, what's going on with Legion?

Admittedly I've only done Azsuna and Highmountain so far but that IS two full zones and I'm seeing a worrying trend. Why is every theme so short? I've tried seeing what it's like with and without loop music on but for the first time in 10 years of WoW I found myself turning off the music in Azsuna. It's just so repetitive.

Of course the music repeats, but I've never become fatigued by it because of the variations in the themes in previous expansions. It's almost as if each zone in Legion has about 3 minutes of music in total and is split up into a minutes worth at a time. As I type this I keep hearing the same tune over and over.

This is not a cry baby thread complaining for the sake of it. I want to know if Blizzard have changed anything about the music system.

The one thing I have noticed that Legion has over WoD is that the music doesn't seem to change every 10 seconds when walking about into different sub-zones. Sadly, WoD has more memorable themes which also seem to last much longer.

Edit: This new repetition actually makes me want to play Legion a lot less. That may sound strange, but the soul of WoW is in the music and the game insists on playing the same unmemorable themes over and over and over.

Edit: It's becoming really hard to enjoy Legion because of these problems. Of all things that'd make me even entertain the idea of qutting Legion I never thought it'd be the music.

Left cave
    track 1: 50s
    track 2 different: 1m 15s
    track 3: repeated track 2
    that's with loop music on. If I didn't have it on it'd just be silence/ambience after 50s.

I can't deal with the silence and I can't deal with the same minute of music repeated CONSTANTLY. What where they thinking?
    Last edited by mmoc30274401ab; 2016-09-05 at 08:49 PM.

Yeah ive been to stormheim and aszuna and have now switched the music off. The initial music is good the first time but really grind after the 100th loop of the same track. In previous xpacs they had suits of music with a similat theme. So far its one track the whole time. It sucks badly
    There is the sad paradox of a world which is more and more sensitive about being politically correct, almost to the point of ridicule, yet does not wish to acknowledge or to respect believers’ faith in God

I think there might be something to this. I loved the Stormheim theme for example, but by the end of that zone I had heard it sooo many times that it was getting repetitive. I can think of Shadowmoon Valley in Draenor in contrast, there were so many different themes to that zone, and as you mentioned music changing every 10 seconds when entering different subzones, I remember when I was doing archaeology I would sometimes hear 3 or 4 different themes start and stop playing back and forth by the time I was done with a digsite. Not so in any Legion zone, nothing remotely like that.

To be clear, I think the music is great, I love it! I just found that the main themes of Azsuna and Stormheim got repetitive. Still working on Val'sharah so can't comment yet, haven't been to Highmountain.
    Furthermore, I consider that China must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post
    Yeah ive been to stormheim and aszuna and have now switched the music off. The initial music is good the first time but really grind after the 100th loop of the same track. In previous xpacs they had suits of music with a similat theme. So far its one track the whole time. It sucks badly
    I get lots of different tracks depending on the area in the zone. Dunno what you're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

I agree that the music isn't that great, at least compared to something like Northrend which has amazing music imo. It got repetitive really quick and now I just listen to my own music instead.

Deleted
    What's frustrating is that if you look for zone music on youtube you get plenty of 30 minute videos. Hearing only snippets in game that are constantly repeated is very saddening.

Sadly I have to agree, because as for the OP, the music is the most important thing in WoW to me, too. Haven't done all the zones yet, but so far im not too excited..

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, back in the day you had a 4-6 minute theme for a rather large area. Nowadays you have 1-2 minute cues for each subzone.

Normally no big deal, but if you stay too long in a subzone you will quickly notice the repetition and after 20 loops (mere 40 minutes) even the most gorgeous music becomes annoying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Yes, back in the day you had a 4-6 minute theme for a rather large area. Nowadays you have 1-2 minute cues for each subzone.

Normally no big deal, but if you stay too long in a subzone you will quickly notice the repetition and after 20 loops (mere 40 minutes) even the most gorgeous music becomes annoying.
    So gone are the days of not only the golden era lengthy ambient tracks of Vanilla, TBC, and to a little extent Wrath, but now even the more musical and dramatic themes only last for a couple of minutes. We've gone from atmospheric vanilla Teldrassil and Tanaris to music in bursts.

Edit: In-game the music is in short burts, the OST provides just a small sample of the music. Where do you even hear the full music for each zone anymore? I don't know where that 30 minute youtube video can be heard officially. Surely that must annoy the composers.
    Last edited by mmoc30274401ab; 2016-09-04 at 06:32 PM.

Deleted
    For me, every expansion soundtrack have been mainly boring. There's only one piece of music i remember from WoD (and it's that sha-na-naa thing from auchindoun, it's great part imo lol) and after doing Azsuna and Val'sharah (i'm so slow to play nowadays) with music on, i don't really remember anything. Only some night elf pieces and i think it's because they sound like night elf themes from classic WoW. At the moment i just can't remember an music from TBC or Cata. From WotLK i may remember some snippets and from MOP i never forget that hideous inn kazoo music.

Classic wow music may have been "simple" but they definitely had memorable melodies. At least i can always listen ie. old tanaris music from youtube. I don't think it's just nostalgia as i said, i can't remember anything from TBC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus93 View Post
    We've gone from atmospheric vanilla Teldrassil and Tanaris to music in bursts.
    And it's exactly the use of these very memorable themes in short bursts that makes stuff repetitive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    And it's exactly the use of these very memorable themes in short bursts that makes stuff repetitive.
    Trouble is the stuff I've heard in Legion so far isn't that memorable. I could take Grizzly Hills or even WoD stuff in very short bursts if I had to because they're memorable, but not Azsuna or Highmountain. Unmemorable themes in short bursts is about as worse as it can get.

legion music has a few anoying parts the same as all soundtracks but i think its very fitting for the theme of legion and alot of the music is reflective,in some case very solum and sad which again fits the tone with heroes dying left and right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. I very much like the soundtrack.
    Though I actually dislike the mix they did on the CD. Seems like they mostly picked the noisy, annoying parts ._.

But per usual I will deactivate the ingame music once I finish questing and load pieces I like into foobar.
    I just prefer to listen to music on my own terms instead of the game dictating which cue I am supposed to listen to because I entered the area.

I like it. It's very on-point thematically and it's not trying too hard to the point where it annoys me.

Im not shure about the zones but the Legion main theme,Canticle of Sacrifice and the Legion invasion music are one of the best musics they have created.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

Ironically the music has been one of the main things I've been praising so far. True to fashion, they've been doing better music with each expansion and Legion's is the best to date, imo. I frequently find myself humming along to some bits even, heh.

I haven't personally noticed any annoying repetition but I'll keep an ear out, as I've only leveled through Stormheim, Val'sharah and a bit of Highmountain thusfar and have quite enjoyed all the music.

I do however get hangs sometimes, with no rhyme or reason, that causes just the music to stutter awkwardly for a few seconds, but I imagine that might be my old computer's fault.

I'm enjoying the soundtrack very much. Once again it's brilliant. It's also very theme-driven and very catchy this time around. Almost impossible not to listen to it consciously and hum the melodies. I also like the reprises of classic pieces, it really connects the old with the new and gives Legion a homey feel, while being new and exciting.

I've noticed though that the system seems to trigger the cues differently now. I'm hearing the same cues way more frequently now that it used to be in previous expansions.

7+ Year Old Account
    Aszuna probably has the weakest music so far IMO. I enjoyed Valsharah and Stormheim's a lot. The demonic theme and various other character themes I think are pretty successful as well. The updated Dalaran music might be my favorite though, curiously enough.

Nothing has really swept me off my feet yet, but I have faith that something will. It seems to be at least consistently better than WoD's soundtrack to me, but I really love every expansion's music.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally noticed this with Stormheim's theme the most. It's so annoyingly repetitive that it kinda makes the zone feel small for some reason.