Poll: What is the best constructed mode?

Thread: Is Wild Better?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is Wild Better?

I still enjoy the game but I've found myself getting really triggered ALOT since WoG. I was watching my favorite streamer and he was ranting about how the state of the game sucks and about how he was going to start playing wild. I've been playing various decks in standard and go on decent streaks and get to maybe rank 12 and then lose a ton and go back to 19 or 20. So, I went to Wild for the first time and built a mech mage and went from rank 25 to16 very quickly. Seemed much more fun for some reason too. Any thoughts?

There are games that I enjoy in Wild on certain days, but overall I think Standard is better. HS just reverts back to all of the broken archtypes & non-nerfed plays if you go into Wild (aggro is strong evidence of this). Plus Wild gets stale fast if you're trying to build the most optimal decks, whether for ladder or casual. Wild already has 'BiS' 2 and 4 drop minions for most decks, sometimes 8 drops as well. That makes it hard to try anything unique unless you want to gimp your win rate a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    There are games that I enjoy in Wild on certain days, but overall I think Standard is better. HS just reverts back to all of the broken archtypes & non-nerfed plays if you go into Wild (aggro is strong evidence of this). Plus Wild gets stale fast if you're trying to build the most optimal decks, whether for ladder or casual. Wild already has 'BiS' 2 and 4 drop minions for most decks, sometimes 8 drops as well. That makes it hard to try anything unique unless you want to gimp your win rate a little.
    I hear ya I guess. I've just been finding my luck to be super bad in standard. I'm already up to rank 14 in wild and I just keep winning. Seems like I am almost facing new players ever match because they seem to play so dumb. I think I am at like an 80% win rate.

Quote Originally Posted by patseguin View Post
    I hear ya I guess. I've just been finding my luck to be super bad in standard. I'm already up to rank 14 in wild and I just keep winning. Seems like I am almost facing new players ever match because they seem to play so dumb. I think I am at like an 80% win rate.
    Oh yeah, I do agree with you, my success rate in wild is better than standard too. My only problem is I don't commit as much time in the format as I do in Standard so my ranking never actually surpasses what I'm at in Standard :P

Part of what frustrates me in Wild is just that the further you go the more that it turns into an aggro race all over again. Nothing is more ridiculous in my opinion than having some hunter or secret pally still win after going through two sludge belchers and 1-2 healbots. At least in standard with smorc shaman, zoolock, and divine shield pally the race to not lose is usually a lot slower in comparison, which means you are actually interacting with the game more and can experiment with more decks if you can last past the face assault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Voting for Standard because my GvG collection isn't complete enough to continuously play around the Wild meta, missing essential cards like Light Bomb and every Legendary except for Boom. I'll be buggered if I'm gonna spend my heard earned dust crafting legacy cards.

Even if you do play wild you're only going be playing against other veteran players. New players will never in their right mind spend money crafting legacy cards.

When they applied the changes to the game modes, i started to play Standard. After about 2-3 weeks i was close to quit HS...then i tried wild and since then the game is again fun.

Im not a very competitve player when it Comes to HS. Ist about fun and relaxing. Im usually stuck between rank 10-15.

Meeting the same 3 decks over and over in wild (especially the braindead ones like Cthun) just takes all the creativity from the game. So yeah i like it wild

15+ Year Old Account
    If I never see Shredder, Dr 7, Sludge Belcher, Skittles, Chow and Healbot in constructed it'll be too soon.

Wild can GTFO with its over-creeped cards. Standard is the only real mode of play worth caring about.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Standard is better. But still has one huge problem 70% of the idiots are playing scummy shaman decks because they dont even have to think. At least all the yogg mages, druids are fun to play against. Hell i love my arcane giant/yogg/miracle rogue deck even if i only get to use yogg 1% of the time lol unless i missplay badly. Kara was overall a decent addition, so that it wasent 90% shaman anymore.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2016-09-16 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    If I never see Shredder, Dr 7, Sludge Belcher, Skittles, Chow and Healbot in constructed it'll be too soon.

Wild can GTFO with its over-creeped cards. Standard is the only real mode of play worth caring about.
    Good points. I think I'm enjoying it because I always played mech mage and I seem to be destroying playing that deck. I have run into a few people playing sludge belcher and I forgot how much I despise that card.

They just need to fix shaman and make call of the wild 9 mana. Then Standard would be enjoyable. Brainless rush decks should never have easy win condition if the game goes on too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    They just need to fix shaman and make call of the wild 9 mana. Then Standard would be enjoyable. Brainless rush decks should never have easy win condition if the game goes on too long.
    I'm confused. Are we talking about brainless rush decks that win the game fast or control/tempo decks that get increasingly better as the game heads towards end game? In general hunters aren't an aggro deck anymore, they simply are themed around doing face damage more often, but certainly not aggro. Aggro decks wouldn't run 4/3's that require beasts to proc taunt & buff effects or 10 mana minions that summon deathrattles. I would argue that in the current meta hunters need CotW. They are already underperforming compared to a good handful of the other classes atm so you take CotW away simply revert from having their only decent 8 drop & turn into some underperforming control-esque deck that has weak board prescence between turns 7-9.

Hearthstone should promote decks that increase your odds of winning as the game goes on. That is the entire point of control. That doesn't make a deck brainless, actualy the opposite most of the time. It is the decks that win between turns 4-6 that are mostly brainless (ie fast aggro games).
    Last edited by Pantalaimon; 2016-09-16 at 01:41 PM.

I'm confused. Are we talking about brainless rush decks that win the game fast or control/tempo decks that get increasingly better as the game heads towards end game? In general hunters aren't an aggro deck anymore, they simply are themed around doing face damage more often, but certainly not aggro. Aggro decks wouldn't run 4/3's that require beasts to proc taunt & buff effects or 10 mana minions that summon deathrattles. I would argue that in the current meta hunters need CotW. They are already underperforming compared to a good handful of the other classes atm so you take CotW away simply revert from having their only decent 8 drop & turn into some underperforming control-esque deck that has weak board prescence between turns 7-9.

Hearthstone should promote decks that increase your odds of winning as the game goes on. That is the entire point of control. That doesn't make a deck brainless, actualy the opposite most of the time. It is the decks that win between turns 4-6 that are mostly brainless (ie fast aggro games).
    Sounds like blizzard agreed with me more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Sounds like blizzard agreed with me more.
    *Shrugs* the card is still very good & I can't wait for the QQ posts to still continue to roll in demanding additional nerfs. In the end the card is a good non-aggro card for hunters to finally help push hunters more into that old midrange style of play that controls the board for the first half of the game then assaults face. Big control cards are almost better than the 100th aggro card that releases. Aggro makes classes stale more often than control does.

15+ Year Old Account
    *Shrugs* the card is still very good & I can't wait for the QQ posts to still continue to roll in demanding additional nerfs. In the end the card is a good non-aggro card for hunters to finally help push hunters more into that old midrange style of play that controls the board for the first half of the game then assaults face. Big control cards are almost better than the 100th aggro card that releases. Aggro makes classes stale more often than control does.
    CotW was SEVERELY undercosted at 8 mana. Each Companion was worth the same (with stats and effects) as a 4 mana minion but costed at 3 individually, and then on top of that CotW was costed cheaper than playing them separately. You were getting 12 mana worth of minion for 8.

Now at least the cost is SLIGHTLY more in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    CotW was SEVERELY undercosted at 8 mana. Each Companion was worth the same (with stats and effects) as a 4 mana minion but costed at 3 individually, and then on top of that CotW was costed cheaper than playing them separately. You were getting 12 mana worth of minion for 8.

Now at least the cost is SLIGHTLY more in line.
    The only 3 of the companions that is undercosted is Mishka or w/e as a 4/4 with taunt for 3. Huffer passes the vanilla test as a basic 3/3 with charge when you balance out the stats & Leokk is an actually appropriately tuned 3/3 raid leader (as opposed to the overcosted 2/2 actual raid leader). 3+3+4 is hardly 12 mana worth of minions. The only more powerful aspect of the 9 mana version is that you don't have to sit on 3 minions to play at teh same time but can merely sit on 1 card (CotW).

15+ Year Old Account
    The only 3 of the companions that is undercosted is Mishka or w/e as a 4/4 with taunt for 3. Huffer passes the vanilla test as a basic 3/3 with charge when you balance out the stats & Leokk is an actually appropriately tuned 3/3 raid leader (as opposed to the overcosted 2/2 actual raid leader). 3+3+4 is hardly 12 mana worth of minions. The only more powerful aspect of the 9 mana version is that you don't have to sit on 3 minions to play at teh same time but can merely sit on 1 card (CotW).
    Huffer is 4. Remember Wolf Rider is 3/1 charge for 3 and that's as vanilla as you got. Arc Golem was 4/2 charge for 3 with a significant downside before its change. Argent Commander is 4/2 charge with DS costing it at SIX.

Leokk is also four cost. Two other minions have the same effect - Raid Leader and Stormwind Champion. Both of these are statted at double cost minus two (ie 4 stats for 3, 12 stats for 7) whereas Leokk is statted at double cost (6 stats for 3). Timber Wolf is the only other whole-board attack buff and is statted at double cost but with the drawback of only affecting beasts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wild is slower and certainly has a much wider deck variety so if you prefer that then yes wild is better. I swapped to wild for a few months after wotog because i was so bored of the endless stream of aggro and face decks but since karazhan the meta has slowed down a little and its actually fun again in standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Excuse me while I go and clear my sinuses loudly into a megaphone.

Deleted
    I tried out rank in wild this season for the rewards to see how things are. There are almost just as many shamans there as it's in standard and of course my deck apparently have the worst match up against. Only druid are replaced by secret paladin. Also almost everyone seems to have gold portrait for some reason.

Played mostly Nzoth paladin, apparently 74% of the time. Then swap to Warrior for the last 8 games and could finally reach rank 5. Kept bouncing around rank 6 before that annoying as hell.

Test out the Hearthstone Deck Tracker for the first time too, neat tool. Seems like I actually play quite a few games each month in my nab quest for rank 5 rewards. Used the tool from rank 15 and it took almost 100 games to reach rank 5.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting back into Wild a little bit to escape all the Shamans. Kinda glad I didn't disenchant the old cards but that might change in the future if I'm ever desperate for dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychohamster View Post
    There are almost just as many shamans
    There are a few people trying it using the exactly the same deck that's used in the Standard meta but it's not top tier in Wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Getting back into Wild a little bit to escape all the Shamans. Kinda glad I didn't disenchant the old cards but that might change in the future if I'm ever desperate for dust.

There are a few people trying it using the exactly the same deck that's used in the Standard meta but it's not top tier in Wild.
    I played rank 18 to 9 in wild this week for better season end rewards. In all those games i met 2 shamans!!! I won against one and lost against the other. Mostly i lose beacause they drop 0 mana thing from below, which is just to much of a game changer.

Maybe the facerollers are better then rank 9, thats why i met so few. My biggest problems are still anyfin & tempo mage.

And my opinion about the formats is still that i dont see a reaosn to play standard.