Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Emerald nightmare trinkets question

Hey, i just killed xavius hc and got the luxury to not know what trinkets to choose from,

i got 835 shockbaton 850 naraxus spike 865 swarming plaguehive and 870 bough of corruption

i have no clue what to use, probably not plaguehive. the shockbaton puts me on 60% crit with foodbuff, without it i'm at 57%

my shockbaton seems to do more dmg then spike, so im thinking of going baton and bough atm but need someone to confirm this would be the correct combo

thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bough is utter garbage. I've played with it (865) for a few days now and it's pointless, aoe or single target. I'd use Baton and spike if I where you.

I was doing some testing this morning on target dummies with Unstable Horrorslime and Devilsaur Shock Baton. I also have a Corrupted Starlight but the amount of crit I get from UH and DSB is silly.

UH was actually ahead of DSB on damage done after a 6 minute session and a 10 minute session. Not by a landslide, but it was at 5-6% while DSB was at 3-5%.

If I had a NST I'd want to use that but at this point I wouldn't know if I should replace the Horrorslime or the Shock Baton.

I would say at this point for you though I'd go with DSB and NST.

Deleted
    I have an equally interesting predicament; I have a 865 Unstable Horrorslime, a 855 Naraxas' Spiked Tongue and a 830 Devilsaur's Shock-Baton. (other trinkets I have aren't really worth mentioning)

I'm currently using the Unstable Horrorslime and Naraxas' Spiked Tongue. Ideally, I'd use the horrorslime and illgynoth's trinket but I haven't been lucky with drops yet. I got the shitty haste head, go figure.

Deleted
    illgynoth's trinket > Devilsaur's Shock-Baton >> Naraxas' Spiked Tongue >>>>> Unstable Horrorslime

Doesn't using Wriggling Sinew forbid talenting Kindling since the trink is a 2 min CD /use ?
    I kinda like the ~1min30 Combustion

Edit: Also, I dislike Wriggling Sinew because you need to use on a target that lives long enough for the 10 stacks to apply AND the explosion to occur. On many encounters, you use your cooldowns on adds that die too fast for this.
    Last edited by Araitik; 2016-10-06 at 01:53 PM.

Deleted
    You take kindling but delay WS to align with it.

You want the 10 stacks to explode under Combustion and ROP.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsteel View Post

??? so what u are sayin is pre pull WS then make sure you have combust still running when your 10 stacks pop? cuz it affects the trinkets dmg?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Araitik View Post
    Doesn't using Wriggling Sinew forbid talenting Kindling since the trink is a 2 min CD /use ?
    I kinda like the ~1min30 Combustion

Edit: Also, I dislike Wriggling Sinew because you need to use on a target that lives long enough for the 10 stacks to apply AND the explosion to occur. On many encounters, you use your cooldowns on adds that die too fast for this.
    ya i dont use it when running keystones but i do when im raiding.. the crit alone makes it better then whatever else u think on replacing it with.. i dont waste WS on trash or adds so its very good imo

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidsteel View Post

If I'm going to just delay Combustion for WS then why would I take Kindling?

Or are you saying I should Combustion + WS, then a normal Combustion, and then WS + Combustion again? (Assuming the fight is long enough for 3 combustion)
    Last edited by RickettsZ22; 2016-10-06 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Quote

Quote Originally Posted by RickettsZ22 View Post
    If I'm going to just delay Combustion for WS then why would I take Kindling?

Or are you saying I should Combustion + WS, then a normal Combustion, and then WS + Combustion again? (Assuming the fight is long enough for 3 combustion)
    No... He said, delay WS when you take Kindling.

It would like something like this:

Pre: Sinew
    Pull: Combustion/Flame On
    90s: Combustion/Flame On
    120s: Sinew comes off CD, Delay till a few seconds before next Combustion
    180s: Combustion/Flame On

I just did some single target dummy tests and WS gets RoP and combust gains.. so mine is hitting for over 1.5 mill which makes it a pretty ez choice when its goin to line up with combust without kindling which i do not use anyways... super strong imo

Quote Originally Posted by genzic8787 View Post
    I just did some single target dummy tests and WS gets RoP and combust gains.. so mine is hitting for over 1.5 mill which makes it a pretty ez choice when its goin to line up with combust without kindling which i do not use anyways... super strong imo
    It also gains 25% damage from Pyretic Incatation

Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by seijulala View Post
    illgynoth's trinket > Devilsaur's Shock-Baton >> Naraxas' Spiked Tongue >>>>> Unstable Horrorslime
    So wait, you're telling me that Naraxas' Spiked Tongue at 855 without ANY crit, is better than the Unstable Horrorslime at 865 with 986 crit?

Unstable's proc seems to do about as much damage as Naraxas', but it has loads of crit (bringing me at 61% unbuffed), rather than mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by mascarpwn View Post
    So wait, you're telling me that Naraxas' Spiked Tongue at 855 without ANY crit, is better than the Unstable Horrorslime at 865 with 986 crit?

Unstable's proc seems to do about as much damage as Naraxas', but it has loads of crit (bringing me at 61% unbuffed), rather than mastery.
    well u use whatever u feel is best.. sims and pros dont lie but since its an aoe slime that unstable gives... imo its goin to do less dps then a single target trinket such as NST.. at 850+ one trinket with crit shouldnt make or break your total..

Just grab any trinkets you can get your hands on and test them on a dummy imo.

I understand that might be hard because others need loot too but I've felt everything but Wriggling Sinew is somewhat close in dps, though a really high ilvl Baton should still be the second best.

Spiked Tongue is also somewhat overvalued because of the range thing.

Personally I have a high rolled Swarming Plaguehive and it beats the Tongue pretty handily.

I picked up a Sinew 865 last night and ran some quick numbers (will need to do a raid later to get more data).

A perfectly executed Sinew of ilvl 865 (6 stacks on target before combusting) will net you a total of 2.3m damage every 2 minutes.

The cons of this trinket are:
    - Perfect rotation required (6 stacks of whispers before using combust)
    - Delayed Combustion (as Kindling usually refreshes your combustion BEFORE the trinket 2m CD)

Just going through my raid boss kill logs; I've found that I'm doing roughly (depending on how the long the fight goes for):
    3-4 million with my 845 Baton
    3-5 million with my 850 Oakheart

So if a fight lasts for exactly 6 minutes, at best I will only be doing 6.9 million damage with the Sinew trinket, on the basis that I've done a perfect rotation with it. Likewise, I've hit 3 million with my Baton, and somewhere between 4-5 million damage with my Oakheart

However, the question is how much precious time would you have wasted NOT using combust because the Sinew was on cooldown, and will the trinket damage offset the time lost?

Compare the Sinew 865 trinket with my 850 Oakheart. The Oakheart has +900 versatility on it, which gives me roughly a 1-2 % boost in damage across the board.

With the Oakheart+Baton combination, I'm sitting at 62% crit rate.
    With the Sinew+Baton combination, I'm sitting at 65% crit rate.

A big benefit for having a high crit rate with Kindling is because combustion adds the crit value to the mastery stat, meaning you have much higher ignite damage during combust phase.

However, as you are delaying combustion for the Sinew cooldown (in most cases anywhere between 20-40 seconds delayed while waiting for Sinew to CD so you can pop combust with it), not to mention you need 6 stacks of whispering on the target before combusting (so you reach the max trinket damage of 2.3m damage) and therefore losing another few seconds... The added crit rate of 3% from the Sinew trinket doesn't offset the potential damage loss from Oakheart's versatility bonus nor it's proc damage (or any high proc trinket)

Will it offset the potential damage loss due to delaying combustion (up to 20-40 seconds) ?

The Sinew's on-use trinket also seems tricky to use, as you have to line it up with Combust to get the best out of it (if you use the trinket without combust you only do 1.1m damage with it every 2 minutes... other high proc passive trinkets are better in that regard)

Thoughts? (I'm still needed to do more testing)

You don't delay Combustion for Sinew though, you delay Sinew for Combustion.

Quote Originally Posted by nickseng View Post
    You don't delay Combustion for Sinew though, you delay Sinew for Combustion.
    Ah I see.

I always ended up having combust ready to go for round 2 but Sinew is still 20-40 seconds off.

Say I fire off the combustion (2nd time) first then, Sinew not used because it's still on CD... The 3rd combust is when I can use the Sinew again together so I get the maximum damage potential from the trinket.

In which case, you're not guaranteed 2.3million damage from the trinket every 2 minutes (going off the ilvl 865 version), as you're not using it unless it's lined up with combustion for max potential.

There's also the danger of misfiring the trinket (procs not going off during combustion due to timing) where you don't reach the max damage potential.

I used the trinket in some Mythic runs... It's incredibly powerful for the opening pull and since most Mythic bosses don't last 2 minutes it's awesome to use. I'm just wondering whether it's worth using on longer boss fights where the potential damage off this trinket outweighs the damage potentially done by other passive proc trinkets like Oakheart and Plaguehive; seeing how it's all about the timing with combustion to get the most out of it.

Wowlogs are currently broken, but I remember reading some top fire mage parses and their Wiggling Sinew damage isn't all that hot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Just grab any trinkets you can get your hands on and test them on a dummy imo.

I understand that might be hard because others need loot too but I've felt everything but Wriggling Sinew is somewhat close in dps, though a really high ilvl Baton should still be the second best.

Spiked Tongue is also somewhat overvalued because of the range thing.

Personally I have a high rolled Swarming Plaguehive and it beats the Tongue pretty handily.
    from what ive been told, the swarming plaguehive and the wriggling sinew are our bis trinkets, on my guild's mythic kill of the first boss in EN they consistently did 5-6% of my total dmg each and my sinew is only ilvl 850 and that is even with rather poorly executing of sinew's use.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sosaria View Post
    Ah I see.

I always ended up having combust ready to go for round 2 but Sinew is still 20-40 seconds off.

Say I fire off the combustion (2nd time) first then, Sinew not used because it's still on CD... The 3rd combust is when I can use the Sinew again together so I get the maximum damage potential from the trinket.

In which case, you're not guaranteed 2.3million damage from the trinket every 2 minutes (going off the ilvl 865 version), as you're not using it unless it's lined up with combustion for max potential.

There's also the danger of misfiring the trinket (procs not going off during combustion due to timing) where you don't reach the max damage potential.

I used the trinket in some Mythic runs... It's incredibly powerful for the opening pull and since most Mythic bosses don't last 2 minutes it's awesome to use. I'm just wondering whether it's worth using on longer boss fights where the potential damage off this trinket outweighs the damage potentially done by other passive proc trinkets like Oakheart and Plaguehive; seeing how it's all about the timing with combustion to get the most out of it.

Wowlogs are currently broken, but I remember reading some top fire mage parses and their Wiggling Sinew damage isn't all that hot.
    For the third Sinew + Combust you can prestack it as it will be off cooldown.

It's really only under a bloodlusted pull that you can reliably 10 stack it inside ROP + Combustion.