WoW Performance has tanked, not tech savvy questions.

Hello, I have been struggling since getting back into WoW for Legion with incredibly bad performance issues. I.E. low fps, textures not loading and the world lookings like clay or not being there at all, game lock ups and very long load screens.

My computer is only a few years old, I purchased it during Cataclysm, but during that time and into MoP before I stopped playing I was able to dual box and stream at max game settings and the game never had a single problem for me. So my questions are, is Legion that demanding compared to before, can I cheaply upgrade my computer without buying a new rig, or is there another reason I might not realize for my loss of performance.

My system specs that might be relevent:

Windows 7
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600k @ 3.40GHz processor
    4 GB of RAM
    Gefore GTX 560ti graphics card

You should be able to play on the 5-6 preset just fine with that PC, adding another 4 gig stick of memory wouldnt hurt either (if you can find out your exact model ram id suggest that, but its not 100% necessary). You could gain a little bit of performance with a new GPU as well, you are right below the recommended which is a gtx 660, but playing at 5-6 preset should make up for that.

Legion is taxing the GPU a lot more so if you want to play at max settings, you need a better video card.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

10+ Year Old Account
    It's definitely ram, either download or insert more.

Deleted
    Check the performance monitor in the Task Manager to see if your machine is struggling in the CPU or RAM department. If none are at a high % it is most likely the GPU unable to keep up.

I had FPS issues some days ago as well, so I went into the Task Manager to look at the performance and it seemed some other processes were using quite some CPU, leaving WoW a bit starved. Killing these (turned out to be part of Microsoft's Customer Experience Improvement Program) doubled my framerate. Disregarding that, the age of the engine is showing, and the optimisations aren't all that you'd expect. With a GTX1080 & i7 I have to tone down drawing distance & clutter distance to 8 in order to maintain a solid 60fps.