Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dragon Age: Origins is certainly up there...
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Glad to see so many mentions of Interplay work.

Gonna put my neck out and suggest Halo: Reach. I really enjoyed the story development throughout the game, my GF literally shouted at the screen during one of the plot developments first time through so I guess she also felt immersed and into the characters portrayed. Plus I REALLY liked the ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Half life series

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    I am looking to play an RPG or Adventure or Shooter game, based only on the story.

So far the greatest story behind a game I have played was an old RPG called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape:_Torment, and I am sad I don't remember much of it. It is just a feeling of greatness, a game story better than a movie story.

Which GREAT/BREATHTAKING stories am I missing around?

Suggest video games (for PC) based on story only.

thanks
    Since you can get it on pc now Final Fantasy 8 has the best story I have seen. I love the twists and turns
    I can't wait to watch your ego bleed
    Your pain will set me free

Stitched Up Heart

GTA 4
    Red Dead Redemption
    Mass Effect 2 (suicide mission was too damn good)
    Witcher 3 + DLCs
    Dishonored
    Deus Ex Human Revolution

I also enjoyed Dragon Age Inquisition but it's more about the characters than the actual story they're involved in.

Golden Sun + Expansion and Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis have enjoyable stories if you can get past the gameplay, helps playing on an emulator.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    There are so many good games but those are the ones that come to mind atm:

- Life is Strange (definitely the best story game ever...!)
    - The Last of Us
    - Beyond Two Souls
    - Uncharted Series
    - Heavy Rain
    - Silent Hill
    - Final Fantasy VII + X
    - Resident Evil
    - Dishonored 1+2
    - Star Wars Kotor + ToR
    - The Witcher 3
    - The Lore in Warcraft (incl. WoW)
    - Mass Effect Series (but I've never finished the 3rd one)
    - Metal Gear Solid (Rising not included, and 5 only partially.)
    - Kingdom Hearts Series (You can laugh all you want... but if you "get" the story, it's actually amazing)

I am sure there are many more and I just can't remember all the good games right on the spot!

15+ Year Old Account
    Kings Field series.

For me, it's Bloodborne.

The lore is fucking dark and insane, and you're really forced to kinda figure it out for yourself through clues in the game.

Not a PC game, but my personal favorite is Persona 4. The gameplay's not the best, but the story is God. Damn. Amazing.

Deleted
    Witcher 3
    Dragon Age: Origins and Inquisition
    Life is Strange
    Metro 2033 Redux
    Metro Last Light Redux

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post

Really among the greatest tbh, if not the greatest.
    you win the internet !

super underrated . sadly most people don't get it. ( I didn't quite get it the first time aswell ).

It's so damn good.

Other than that I really like Life is Strange, MGS2 and Last of Us

Quote Originally Posted by StarGazer91 View Post
    Tales of Symphonia. AMAZING story, beautiful graphics, incredible sound track, really fun battle system.
    Tales of Symphonia is amazing. I didn't mention it in here though because OP seems to want PC, and last I heard Symphonia has some issues in the PC version.

Also Tales of Xillia 2 is also pretty top notch.

7+ Year Old Account
    For me there´re so many good RPGs (not so much shooter) so i try to find some good ones:

As many already mentioned Planescape: Torment
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Front Mission 3
    Grandia 2
    Legend of the Dragoon
    Baldurs Gate 1&2 + addons
    Arcanum
    Lufia (outside of japan only called Lufia in japan was the 2 part)
    Dragon Quest VIII Journey of the Cursed King
    Vagrant Story ( i´m sad nobody seems to remember this gem)
    Shin Megami Tensai series (Lucifers Call is a really good one)
    Persona series
    Life is Strange
    Xenogears
    Breath of Fire 2 and 3
    Neverwinter Nights 2 Mask of the Betrayer
    Final Fantasy 8 6 12 14
    Shin Megami Tensai: Digital Devil Saga 1&2
    propably many more i don´t remember

-Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    -Telltale's The Walking Dead
    -To The Moon
    -Undertale

That's just my favorite stories. Your mileage may vary on gameplay, which I feel is stronger in Undertale and Brothers of the four, though they're all very different.

The Last of Us and Journey probably would've been on the list but I heard you mention PC games so I assumed those only.

I'm not sure why I'm seeing Half Life in here. The gameplay is glorious but I wouldn't call the story anything special.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2016-11-22 at 01:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    System Shock two and Star Control two both have excellent stories. They were each lengendary in their own eras. Their graphics have not stood the test of time, but they both hold very high places in my best games ever list.

Playing System Shock two alone and in the dark with good surround sound was spooky af.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to have to say Red Dead Redemption I think. I would've said the Mass Effect series but ME 3's ending ruined everything. The whole journey you take with John Marston was just amazing and it just like immerses you into the wild west and sometimes makes you wish you lived in those times. Unlike ME 3, the ending was top notch and was a satisfying ending to the game even with how sad it was. Not only that but it was open ended so you could continue doing whatever you want even after you complete the game which is something I really like in open world games.

God damn you Bioware...
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

For me the best stories in games are the ones that you make yourself. The ones where you have a setting in the game and then the story is mostly in your own imagination. For that reason I'm going to say Journey. The story was so ambiguous that I found myself creating my own scenarios, especially when I met other travellers along the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Witcher, Mass Effect, and KotOR series will always be up their as the best stories in games, at least for me.