Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Lovecraft inspired movies

Hey! I am looking for some good(!) movies that are inspired by lovecrafts construct. Sadly till now John Carpenter was the only one who could deliver some good stuff. Google shit is mostly shit - so I wonder, what do you guys recommend?

There's 'The Mist' which is sort of inspired by HP Lovecraft's work:

Unfortunately, a lot of Lovecraft adaptations just...don't turn out so well. Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness is pretty much the best example I can think of in regards to HPL inspired stuff that doesn't suck. The movie Dagon was decent, low budget but not a bad interpretation of the Innsmouth stuff. Of course there's Re-Animator, which is a fun movie, though a bit more humor focused than typical Lovecraft. Same guy directed both Re-Animator and Dagon for what that's worth, as well as another semi-Lovecraft inspired movie I haven't seen called From Beyond.

The Mist is indeed worth watching, though it's not really something I'd personally consider Lovecraftian in the sense of the previously mentioned ones. Maybe vague undertones, and a similar level of bleakness. Definitely worth watching though.

7+ Year Old Account
    The movie Dagon has nothing to do with the Lovecraft story Dagon. The movie is more related to the short story "Shadows over Innsmouth" which is by Lovecraft. Either way the movie is "meh" quality

Although its not a movie the first season of True Detective is probably the best piece of Lovecraft-inspired fiction I've seen.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    There's 'The Mist' which is sort of inspired by HP Lovecraft's work:

Technically it's Stephen King, but most of King's work is Lovecraft inspired.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahard View Post
    Hey! I am looking for some good(!) movies that are inspired by lovecrafts construct. Sadly till now John Carpenter was the only one who could deliver some good stuff. Google shit is mostly shit - so I wonder, what do you guys recommend?
    "The Thing" is pretty Lovecraftian. And then, I suppose, Hellboy, since Rasputin - basically - summons Cthulhu at the end of the movie. But sadly, there aren't a lot of Lovecraftian films, and those that are, suck. Del Toro has tried to make a movie version of "Mountains of Madness" for years, but so far haven't suceeded. The thing about Lovecraft is though, that a movie can't quite capture the true horrors of his monsters.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    The movie Dagon has nothing to do with the Lovecraft story Dagon. The movie is more related to the short story "Shadows over Innsmouth" which is by Lovecraft.
    Yes, that's why I said it captured the feel of the Innsmouth stuff, not the story Dagon, heh.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahard View Post
    It was a TV movie, but not bad (TBH, I'm not aware of any really good Lovecraftian movies). Cast A Deadly Spell is currently on HBO. The main character is actually named Lovecraft...

I've always thought of Event Horizon as vaguely Lovekraftian, though only vaguely. Movie for all intents and purposes blows, but the concept is pretty cool

10+ Year Old Account
    John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy all touch on Lovecraft themes and mythos.

The Thing

Prince of Darkness

In the Mouths of Madness

10+ Year Old Account
    In the Mouth of Darkness is the first movie that pops in my head when it comes to Lovecraft.

Deleted
    Hey, yeah I thought that I hit the peak when I watched Carpenter's movies (the mentioned trilogy kinda got me into this thing & creating this thread, thought there is more available because they are kinda old). Watched Dagon which was also ok.

Kinda sad how the entire horror/mystery genre got into a state where it's only about shocking and not about this huge negation of all reason that lovecrafts universe invokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    I've always thought of Event Horizon as vaguely Lovekraftian, though only vaguely. Movie for all intents and purposes blows, but the concept is pretty cool
    I agree Event Horizon is sorta vaguely Lovecraftian, though I certainly wouldn't say it blows.

Hellboy is Lovecraft inspired (the first one at least)

Cabin in the woods has some small Lovecraft influence.

Some argue alien as well.

A lot of movies (especially sci-fi/fantasy horror) have small to large links to Lovecraft.

another John Carpenter flick

Alone in the Dark comes to mind, although the movie was horrid.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's Necronomicon: Book of the Dead. But it's not very good either. It's a sketch movie, vaguely based on Lovecraft's stories.

Lovecraft does not translate very well to cinema. His novels are more about setting a mood, and it's more what is not seen or indescribable that is frightening. You can hide a lot of things in words that you cannot on film.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

I think film is quite capable of portraying Lovecraftian "horror". They just fail to.

Outside of Stephen King titles, "suspense horror" doesn't get much support when it comes to anyone with production quality above say... a college project. Big budget movies rely on cheap jump scares, loud noises, and costumed gore.... all of which BREAK the building of suspense to the final scare that a Lovecraftian Horror would present.

I guess Cabin in the woods, kinda borrow some ideas from Lovecraft, but its really minimal and overall the movie is more of a mix of Humor and Horror. At least its a good movie lol.