World of Warcraft Books

Hey,

So I’ve been playing World of Warcraft for many years now – since the time of the Burning Crusade and still gain a lot of pleasure playing it. I play a lot less now due to time constraints and real life getting in the way but dip in every now and then. I really want to play with my brother – we used to play a lot of RPG games when we were kids but he seems to have lost the love for it. I tried to persuade him to give WoW a go but he has never taken the plunge.

Anyway, It’s his birthday coming up and as he is really into reading fantasy novels, I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone by getting him books based in the WoW universe. Maybe they will pique his interest enough in the lore of the world to get him to join me in playing. Maybe not, but at the very least he will get some books that he (hopefully) will enjoy.

I found a few World of Warcraft books for sale online but there are quite a few and I can’t afford them all. So my question is has anyone read the books? Are they any good? Which are the best ones to get for someone starting out in this world.

Thanks!

Deleted
    I've read 2 of them:
    - Arthas, rise of the lich king
    - Day of the dragon

Between these two it really depends on what you preffer...
    A story you know, but want to explore deeper.
    A whole new story happening during other events you know of.

Avoid anything written by Knaak like a plague.

Actually well written ones of the books

-The Last Guardian
    -Lord of the Clans

Interesting read if enjoying the lore and backround. Some of them suffers from appearing more like re-telling of events rather than forming a coherent story although they all try to keep up a narrative structure. Tend to be a bit hasty as well, moving forth when more focus on certain matters would've offered more meat onto the bones.

-Rise of the Horde
    -Tides of Darkness
    -Beyond the Dark Portal
    -Arthas, Rise of the Lich King

Some of the books I enjoy even tho' they do not really offer much in the big picture, merely set certain characters to their lore appropriate status in terms of later story arcs.

-Cycle of Hatred
    -Of Blood and Honor

Rest aren't really worth it, either written by Knaak or suffer from the megalomaniacy of post Ulduar writing
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Avoid anything written by Knaak like a plague.

Actually well written ones of the books

-The Last Guardian
    -Lord of the Clans

Interesting read if enjoying the lore and backround. Some of them suffers from appearing more like re-telling of events rather than forming a coherent story although they all try to keep up a narrative structure. Tend to be a bit hasty as well, moving forth when more focus on certain matters would've offered more meat onto the bones.

-Rise of the Horde
    -Tides of Darkness
    -Beyond the Dark Portal
    -Arthas, Rise of the Lich King

Some of the books I enjoy even tho' they do not really offer much in the big picture, merely set certain characters to their lore appropriate status in terms of later story arcs.

-Cycle of Hatred
    -Of Blood and Honor

Rest aren't really worth it, either written by Knaak or suffer from the megalomaniacy of post Ulduar writing

Most of those here are good stuff, especially the Orc ones.

Only one I haven't read is last guardian.

I've read both:

-The Last Guardian
    -Lord of the Clans

Great books - highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by WaldoWallace View Post
    Hey,

So I’ve been playing World of Warcraft for many years now – since the time of the Burning Crusade and still gain a lot of pleasure playing it. I play a lot less now due to time constraints and real life getting in the way but dip in every now and then. I really want to play with my brother – we used to play a lot of RPG games when we were kids but he seems to have lost the love for it. I tried to persuade him to give WoW a go but he has never taken the plunge.

Anyway, It’s his birthday coming up and as he is really into reading fantasy novels, I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone by getting him books based in the WoW universe. Maybe they will pique his interest enough in the lore of the world to get him to join me in playing. Maybe not, but at the very least he will get some books that he (hopefully) will enjoy.

I found a few World of Warcraft books for sale online but there are quite a few and I can’t afford them all. So my question is has anyone read the books? Are they any good? Which are the best ones to get for someone starting out in this world.

Thanks!
    Awesome. Thanks for the responses to this. Very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by WaldoWallace View Post
    Awesome. Thanks for the responses to this. Very helpful.
    I would recommend chronicle too, its a great history book on WoW's universe and very interesting. I personally loved it.