Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Right now FF VIII springs into my mind. Everything about it felt odd, the main character was too emo from what I remember and the story didn't feel that good.

The only jrpg I've ever played that I really dislike and still do to this day is without a doubt: Beyond the Beyond. Even Unlimited Saga had really nice music and I loved its presentation.

Beyond the Beyond is just such a mediocre, blah game that was an early psx title. It pales deeply in comparison to the likes of Wild Arms and the original Suikoden (two of the other pre-FF7 psx titles) and honestly, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3/6 blow it out of the water. Aside from the cd quality audio you would think this game came out earlier on the snes or even genesis. Phantasy Star IV is vastly superior to this game too. I just cannot stress how much better Suikoden and Wild Arms were, even if you didn't like those games. They had their own charms. Beyond the Beyond doesn't. The story is shit too and the characters are shit and when people talk they make this annoying "blop blop blop blop" sound like in the Shining Force games (which I love btw, don't think I'm bashing them).

This game has one thing in its favor: The Golden Sun series on the GBA is its spiritual successor.

The music is alright if you're a fan of motoi sakuraba's older stuff, like I am..but even then its barely note worthy when compared to the likes of Star Ocean 2, Tales of Phantasia and the GS games.

There are plenty of flawed jrpgs out there better than the sum of their parts, like Legend of Mana, SaGa Frontier but BtB is just...so...PAINFULLY DULL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i11kPaBUpk
    Last edited by Lucifuger; 2016-12-08 at 08:14 AM.

Unlimited Saga, that was a fucking ruse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    LOL @ people listing okay games that just disappointed them or in some cases good games trying to trigger people.

Time and Eternity for me, got it on sale at Amazon for $10 with the day 1 goodies(like a few months after the original release at $60 how bad could it be?). What a piece of absolute garbage, I could have paid a penny for it and it would have been a waste of money.
    Well, the thread is called Worst RPGs you've ever played. I listed Chrono Trigger because I've legitimately have given the game 10+ tries and I've never been able to complete it due to how fucking boring it is, combat and story wise.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy X-2

Hands down one of the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Farath View Post
    That is generally what will happen when a thread is named, "Worst JRPG YOU'VE ever played?" it's their own opinion of it.

On topic: This will certainly get me shot. Mine was Final Fantasy 7. I could never get into it early on for some reason and just wound up stopping after a while. I think the most I have clocked is about 7-10 hours or so. Could have something to do with the fact that I first played FFX on the PS2 and graphics, sounds etc had progressed at that point. Having said that, I am tentatively looking forward to the remake.
    Yeah, it's all personal opinion based on what people have played, of course. That said, I'm sure people saying things like FF Series, SO, or Chrono series would have their answers changed if they played any of the PS1 trash I listed in the OP.

Oh, and to add to the shit list - Technomage (PAL release only, I believe) and Koudelka. The PS1 was a haven for rubbish JRPG's once companies saw that there was money to be had in them after FF7.

It was between tales of zestiria and I am setsuna for me. But in the end, I'm going with I am setsuna. That game literally had nothing I enjoyed. At least zestiria had some funny convos and some interesting characters, not to mention the anime is pretty cool, which made me enjoy the game a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Morillus View Post
    Yeah, it's all personal opinion based on what people have played, of course. That said, I'm sure people saying things like FF Series, SO, or Chrono series would have their answers changed if they played any of the PS1 trash I listed in the OP.

Oh, and to add to the shit list - Technomage (PAL release only, I believe) and Koudelka. The PS1 was a haven for rubbish JRPG's once companies saw that there was money to be had in them after FF7.
    Koudelka was pretty cool actually. It was really, really flawed but I enjoyed it as a prequel to Shadow Hearts (a very underrated jrpg series).

I never got to play Shadow Madness but I remember PSM hyping it up because Ted Woosley was working on it. He's the dude that did the localization of the snes FF games and Chrono Trigger.

I loved Chrono Trigger, but Chrono Cross took out everything that made the first game charming, and replaced with with generic anime design, a story that could be generously described as nonsense, as a real kick in the nuts, killed all the main characters from the first game for "reasons". The combat system was meh, the music was generic, and the bad Guy's big reveal was so poorly handled that it actively stunted any emotional impact whatsoever.

What a terrible game. Every other game from the "Summer of Square" was better. I loved Threads of Fate.

Edit:

Runner ups:
    Final Fantasy 8. The draw system was stupid, and Squall just needed a good beating.
    Legend of Dragoon: Horrible translation marred a game that I wanted to love.
    Last edited by Steelangel; 2016-12-08 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifuger View Post
    Koudelka was pretty cool actually. It was really, really flawed but I enjoyed it as a prequel to Shadow Hearts (a very underrated jrpg series).

I never got to play Shadow Madness but I remember PSM hyping it up because Ted Woosley was working on it. He's the dude that did the localization of the snes FF games and Chrono Trigger.
    Koudelka was a pretty game, but for me, that's about all it had going for it.

Yeah, Shadow Madness was notable as being one of the few JRPG's with a more western sense of humour and storytelling around that period of time. Sadly, the battle system, graphics and story itself were rather terrible.

My worst jrpg... hmmm... bravely default had one of the most repetitive boring stories that would make you feel insane but the gameplay was pretty good. But I think i have to hand the worst to ff10. That being said the only jrpgs i played are those mentioned and ff1-6/9/10/13/14 hyperdimension neptunia 1/2 loz/lttp/la/oot&3d&mq&3hc&3hcmq/mm/oos/ooa/ww&hd/ph/st/tp i like zelda lol. For referance master quest, 3 heart challenge.

Tbh i feel like, at least from what i played, there are no horrible jrpgs. But this is coming from a pc gamer with a nintendo so idk.

10+ Year Old Account
    This piece of shit called Ephemeral Fantasia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephemeral_Fantasia

Absolutely horrible, horrible game....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    I loved Chrono Trigger, but Chrono Cross took out everything that made the first game charming
    Yeah I agree, for being a "sequel" (not offically though right?) to such an amazing title, Chrono Cross was a bit WTF.

If only Chrono Cross sustained the same quality there probably would have been a "Chrono" franchise, but nope, Chrono Cross killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post

this game, hated the combat in it, and omg sooooo many loading screens, people that played through it claims its a good game but the combat and the load screens was just boring.
    The appeal of RPGs isn't usually combat so that's probably why people thought it was good.

Probably Beyond The Beyond.

Be prepared from for some of the longest and most boring dungeons in the genre, but they need to be that long because it takes forever to gain the levels necessary to overcome the obscenely steep difficulty curve in boss progression.

Fuck this game. And I liked the Shining Force series!

FFXIII sequels, if you can call them JRPG's in the first place instead of a steaming piles of shit.
    FFXIII was bad aswell, but atleast it had good OST and beautifully designed open world, when you got to it after 70% of the game done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Huh...well, honestly, I didn't tend toward playing too many "unknowns" when it came to the genre, so I'm one of these people who largely stuck to FF and other well-known games.

With that in mind, I hated FF8 and FF10. Couldn't even finish 10. I'm sure in the greater scheme of things they'd still be in the top 5% of all games or something, but out of the ones I played, I found those to be just the worst.
    My only problem with 8 is that it allowed access to power way too quickly. You could get the Lionheart on Disc 1 for example and high end stats because of refining magic. Oh L- Mag Ref with 10 Tents here you go 100 Curagas. Junction it to HP, Spirit or Magic and easy.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-12-08 at 05:04 PM.

Deleted
    Havent played too many but for me Final Fantasy Lightnings Return...

Quote Originally Posted by Totikki View Post
    Havent played too many but for me Final Fantasy Lightnings Return...
    Forgot about this. Probably the worst I've played that was made in the last few years or so. I hate time limits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Well the partner thing would probably cause that in Xillia, oh and also the combo meter only allowing a certain amount of attacks before having to wait, but for Xillia 2 I was used to it by then, and Ludger himself has the ability to switch weapons midfight. I just enjoyed it.
    i forgot they even had that in xillia but no not necessarily that

i just feel like the combat in games like abyss and symphonia was so much more dynamic - your characters moved quickly and efficiently and covered a lot of space with their moves. but whenever i play a more recent game i just feel like the battle areas are a lot smaller. boss characters in zestiria really got on my nerves because they would just turn into same move wes once they got to a certain point of health and they could just keep using the same fucking devastating move over and over and over in consecutive succession and your ai teammate is too stupid to not stand in it so you are always wasting supplies on them.

i mean i equipped wooden swords and forced the cutscene through yggdrasil's hp limit in the tower of salvation just for shits and giggles before. I beat Asch down in Yulia City and forced him to whine and complain about who was better. etc.

but the newer games lack that manueverability that made doing things like that fun. Playing Lloyd and Guy was like being the ball in a pinball machine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    It was between tales of zestiria and I am setsuna for me. But in the end, I'm going with I am setsuna. That game literally had nothing I enjoyed. At least zestiria had some funny convos and some interesting characters, not to mention the anime is pretty cool, which made me enjoy the game a bit more.
    That game is pretty new and nobody is talking about it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated I Am Setsuna.