Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    Did you read the article you posted? No where did it say it was doing fine. It said it was dying. Dying is not equal to fine.

Ocean acidification, polution, overfishing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction

There is a good reason this is called the 6th great extinction.
    Regardless, the earth will be just fine without a bunch of sponges, coral, and itty bitty fish that nobody eats. Its just selfish people who want pretty things to look at when they are scuba diving who give a shit

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Regardless, the earth will be just fine without a bunch of sponges, coral, and itty bitty fish that nobody eats. Its just selfish people who want pretty things to look at when they are scuba diving who give a shit
    You mean the Earth will be fine without wildlife..or trees, or anything other than humans and their collective waste.

Only cockroaches and humans...and not much difference between the two, even as they feed off the other.

Dude you are so troll. I saw your other post about this before it got locked. It was troll as hell.

For others who might actually believe your trolling, here is why reefs are important. http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/microsites/...ral-reefs.html

Functions of Coral Reefs: Coral reefs are important for many different reasons aside from supposedly containing the most diverse ecosystems on the planet. They:

- protect coastlines from the damaging effects of wave action and tropical storms

- provide habitats and shelter for many marine organisms

- are the source of nitrogen and other essential nutrients for marine food chains

- assist in carbon and nitrogen fixing

- help with nutrient recycling.

This is why large numbers of marine species live in reefs. Other reasons why they are so important include:

- The fishing industry depends on coral reefs because many fish spawn there and juvenile fish spend time there before making their way to -- the open sea

- The Great Barrier Reef generates more than 1.5 billion dollars every year for the Australian economy, from fishing and tourism

- The study of coral reefs is important for providing a clear, scientifically-testable record of climatic events over the past million years or so. - This includes records of recent major storms and human impacts that are recorded by the changes in coral growth patterns.

Importance of healthy ecosystems: Reducing biodiversity through the extinction of species inevitably leads to the breakdown in ecosystem health and function. Healthy ecosystems are essential to provide us with:

- natural resources, such as foods and drugs

- services we depend upon, such as recycling and purification of water and air, the creation of soil, and the break-down of pollutants

- social, cultural and recreational activities, such as those found in our many unique National Parks, World Heritage Areas and the other - special places we like to visit

-high species diversity.
    Last edited by Zmaniac17; 2016-12-10 at 10:37 PM.

There is no such thing as "an itty bitty fish that nobody eats". Everything itty bitty is part of the foodchain. EVERYTHING. And ecosystems are delicate. Marine ecosystems incredibly fucking so. When one of those itty bitty things goes poof, it has the potential to completely destroy an entire ecosystem.

I mean, how much longer before we fuck up the oceans to the point where the algae blooms start dying? I mean, they are only tiny little plants. We can totally get along without them, right? Well, except for the fact that ocean born algae accounts for the production of about 70 fucking percent of all the breathable oxygen on the planet.

Quite frankly, Orlong, your colossal stupidity never ceases to amaze me.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2016-12-11 at 09:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude you are so troll. I saw your other post about this before it got locked. It was troll as hell.

For others who might actually believe your trolling, here is why reefs are important. http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/microsites/...ral-reefs.html

Functions of Coral Reefs: Coral reefs are important for many different reasons aside from supposedly containing the most diverse ecosystems on the planet. They:

- protect coastlines from the damaging effects of wave action and tropical storms
    You can build seawalls for the same effect

- provide habitats and shelter for many marine organisms
    Which we dont need as they dont perform a unique need for humans

- are the source of nitrogen and other essential nutrients for marine food chains

- assist in carbon and nitrogen fixing

- help with nutrient recycling.
    There are other sources

This is why large numbers of marine species live in reefs. Other reasons why they are so important include:

- The fishing industry depends on coral reefs because many fish spawn there and juvenile fish spend time there before making their way to -- the open sea
    Sounds like a business opportunity for someone to build a fish farm

- The Great Barrier Reef generates more than 1.5 billion dollars every year for the Australian economy, from fishing and tourism
    And here is the main reason, Just like I said in my OP. Its the greedy people who want to use it as something pretty to look at when they scuba dive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great. We'll be raising your taxes to pay for those.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Quite frankly, Orlong, your colossal stupidity never ceases to amaze me.
    QFT
    Dud has no idea that we need a diversity of life on the planet...
    Worse, probably doesn't care...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    QFT
    Dud has no idea that we need a diversity of life on the planet...
    Worse, probably doesn't care...
    Even worse : The US government seems like it will be filled with duplicates of him.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    That is not true.
    It is if you limit both sides to 100 only, the thing is that for one side you could find heaps more, while for the other you won't.
    Three guesses which is which

There are other sources

And here is the main reason, Just like I said in my OP. Its the greedy people who want to use it as something pretty to look at when they scuba dive.

Orlong, I have to believe your trolling or this is really just a massive disconnect in your mind. How can you believe nature is just something pretty to look at? Where do you live that this point of view is not completely ridiculous? It must not be on planet earth because here everything is connected. A reef dying is a sign of a larger problem. The oceans are in trouble.

We can't build our way out of this. It is preposterous to think we have the technology or the resources to replace what the ocean and the life in it does for us. The best, cheapest option we have is to conserve it. You are complaining about millions and billions spent on preserving life and suggesting that we can replace it by spending trillions and using resources that we don't even have.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/deadzone.html

Last edited by Zmaniac17; 2016-12-11 at 11:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    source?

source?

There are other sources
    source?

source?

You're calling scuba divers greedy?

Are the fossil fuel companies the heavenly faultless saints in this situation, being taken in by big scuba?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Great Pick in my opinion!.

Orlong, I have to believe your trolling or this is really just a massive disconnect in your mind.
    This is the same intellect that claims that even without any marketable skills he could negotiate a better wage than his union provides him if he wasn't forced to deal with unions to begin with.
    And I don't think he was trolling. He actually seemed to believe that.

As for Pruitt, he really has no business running the Environmental Protection Agency. He's a man that seems to have determined that clean air and clean water is bad for business.