Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Tales of Berseria

I am surprised no topic about this one yet!

Yay another new title for Tales series !

For those who love JRPG and specially the tales series here we go:

This one reminded me of Xillia 2 which is darker tone compare to the rest of the Tales series kinda like Persona series a little bit.
    Last edited by Velshin; 2017-01-03 at 11:34 PM.

gunna try out the demo, which is nxt week btw on steam, before i decide if I'm going to buy it or not. Loved zestiria's story, characters, and just everything else, except the combat. Man the combat was ass.

Beat it in Japanese months ago. It's a solid entry in the tales series and much better then the outsourced conveyor belt trash that was Zesteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Beat it in Japanese months ago. It's a solid entry in the tales series and much better then the outsourced conveyor belt trash that was Zesteria.
    I haven't finished Zesteria, do you recommend story wise that I do Zesteria first or does it not matter much?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I haven't finished Zesteria, do you recommend story wise that I do Zesteria first or does it not matter much?
    It shouldn't matter at all. Very few of the Tales games actually connect, like Final Fantasy.

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head that do are Tales of Symphonia 1 and 2, Tales of Xillia 1 and 2, and then Tales of the World had multiple characters from all Tales games, but really barely references their story from their respective games.

Big fan of the tales of series, can't wait to play it. Although tbh I don't like that it's a prequel of zerstiria I'd rather have a completely new story and setting, I didn't like the whole sheperd thing.

I hope they bring Tales of Vesperia to steam soon, one of the best tales I've played u.u

Man I hope so, because as you said Zesteria was complete trash. I've loved many games in the Tales series but that is one I just said 'nope' to and put it down right near the end. I'm still debating if I want to go and finish it before Berseria comes out.

I hate to eat my own words since I did debate to high heaven with Tech about whether Zesteria would suck or not, but the only good thing that came out of it was the opening in my opinion.

So yes, hopefully this one is quite a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I hate to eat my own words since I did debate to high heaven with Tech about whether Zesteria would suck or not, but the only good thing that came out of it was the opening in my opinion.

So yes, hopefully this one is quite a bit better.
    Yeah I remember parts of the Zesteria debate before bowing out of that thread once it got to people talking about their impressions of the game after beating it. I think it is pretty clear that Zesteria sucked and we have higher hopes for Berseria.

The biggest problem with Zesteria was it was a cash in, out sourced project by Bamco. Wasn't made by Tales Team, had 1 dude from said team overseeing development. Berseria had like twice the amount of development time put into it and it shows. It's far more polished and fleshed out. Don't get me wrong Berseria is not some must own, and unless you love Tales games I wouldn't buy it day 1 since they're known to drop in price quick. It's a good game however, on par with say a Graces F and Xillia 2 but not at that Symphonia, Vesperia or Xillia 1 level for me.

The biggest problem with Zesteria was it was a cash in, out sourced project by Bamco. Wasn't made by Tales Team, had 1 dude from said team overseeing development. Berseria had like twice the amount of development time put into it and it shows. It's far more polished and fleshed out. Don't get me wrong Berseria is not some must own, and unless you love Tales games I wouldn't buy it day 1 since they're known to drop in price quick. It's a good game however, on par with say a Graces F and Xillia 2 but not at that Symphonia, Vesperia or Xillia 1 level for me.
    As long as it is Graces F and Xillia 2 level I can live with that on day 1. I'd kill to have a Tales game hit Vesperia levels of greatness again though.

Though on a side note I liked Xillia 2 far more than Xillia 1.

I'l definitely try this out. I LOVE Velvet.

Xilla 2>Xilla 1 any day.

*whistles innocently*

But being on par with Xillia 2 is more than enough to me, since it's my 2nd favorite Tales game, first being Symphonia. I'll probably get around to buying it at some point though, I'm not dying to play the game, but they do tend to get to $20 at least by Christmas.

Xilla 2>Xilla 1 any day.
    Xillia 2 lacks polish and character development or I might agree.

Xillia 2 lacks polish and character development or I might agree.
    I feel like the plot makes up for it, and it's closure on some story parts from 1, like Alvin.

It shouldn't matter at all. Very few of the Tales games actually connect, like Final Fantasy.

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head that do are Tales of Symphonia 1 and 2, Tales of Xillia 1 and 2, and then Tales of the World had multiple characters from all Tales games, but really barely references their story from their respective games.
    Eizen is a character in Zesteria...

- - - Updated - - -

Xilla 2>Xilla 1 any day.

*whistles innocently*

But being on par with Xillia 2 is more than enough to me, since it's my 2nd favorite Tales game, first being Symphonia. I'll probably get around to buying it at some point though, I'm not dying to play the game, but they do tend to get to $20 at least by Christmas.
    Xillia 2 is such trash. Xilla 1 was ok.

Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Graces F shit on every single other tales game tho.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by DesMephisto View Post
    Eizen is a character in Zesteria...

- - - Updated - - -

Xillia 2 is such trash. Xilla 1 was ok.

Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Graces F shit on every single other tales game tho.
    Graces F has the best gameplay in the series, but the story and characters can be too stereotypical at times and also annoying which knocks it a peg below Symphonia/Vesperia for me.

Graces F has the best gameplay in the series, but the story and characters can be too stereotypical at times and also annoying which knocks it a peg below Symphonia/Vesperia for me.
    What? I thought Graces F had one of the best casts out of all the games!

Vesperia was also another amazing Tales game.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Graces F had some great characters and interaction between them IMO, but the main story of the game was pretty poor yeah. Also the main character was the worst character in the game

It's still my favorite because I favor gameplay over story in Tales games, though.

Anyway, good to hear that people are saying is better than Zestiria. Zestiria's the only mainline Tales game where my mind went "man, i wish I picked this up at a discount later on".

I actually really enjoyed Zestiria. I thought Sorey's growth was handled very well, and I liked the world and the enemies, etc. I also enjoyed the gameplay, didn't think it was any better or worse than other series.

I didn't like how Alicia or Rose were handled, but other aspects made up for it.

I also liked Xillia 2. I strongly disliked the main character and his overarching importance gameplay wise, but I loved the original cast, and also really liked getting the villains on the team, thought that was a neat touch. I also enjoyed the story generally.

Really looking forward to Berseria. Aesthetically I can dig it, and I think velvet looks really fun to play.