Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Micro-Holidays: the S.E.L.F.I.E. cam of Legion?

I have a feeling that 7.1.5 will be remembered for all the wrong reasons like 6.1 was, and part of that (among other things) will be due to the parallel between micro-holidays and the S.E.L.F.I.E. cam.

Micro-holidays offer very little substantive content, attempt to bring life back into the world, and are 'just for fun' activities just like the S.E.L.F.I.E. cam. But most of all, both features were released during a contentous point in each expansion's life span with not much else on offer.

I think these uncanny similarities will ultimately lead micro-holidays to the same fate of the S.E.L.F.I.E. cam. After the expected cold reception, hopefully Blizzard will realise that substantive content is the priority and is what will keep players around. Instead of creating 8 substantive Legion-releated events that could have pushed the story forward and kept players engaged, they decide to spend their development resources on 8 micro-holiday events. It makes no sense, especially given that we are in a period of content drought where it has been almost 3 months since the last content update in 7.1.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will remember it for Brawlers Guild as it is one of my favorite features in game.

Also the new raid is coming out soon.

This actually a small patch not a major patch like 6.1 and remember we already had kara patch so its completely not the case.
    Be Free! <3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprex View Post
    major patch like 6.1
    I see what you did there ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Class tuning, Brawler's Guild, alt artifact catch-up, the week before Nighthold... I don't think it'll be remembered in a bad light tbh. I can't wait, purely for the alt catch-up.

Oh but the patch also has nerfs to basically everything in the game. That'll be great!

Atleast they don't pretend that 7.1.5 is a major patch like they did with 6.1.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    I have a feeling that 7.1.5 will be remembered for all the wrong reasons like 6.1 was, and part of that (among other things) will be due to the parallel between micro-holidays and the S.E.L.F.I.E. cam.

Micro-holidays offer very little substantive content, attempt to bring life back into the world, and are 'just for fun' activities just like the S.E.L.F.I.E. cam. But most of all, both features were released during a contentous point in each expansion's life span with not much else on offer.

I think these uncanny similarities will ultimately lead micro-holidays to the same fate of the S.E.L.F.I.E. cam. After the expected cold reception, hopefully Blizzard will realise that substantive content is the priority and is what will keep players around. Instead of creating 8 substantive Legion-releated events that could have pushed the story forward and kept players engaged, they decide to spend their development resources on 8 micro-holiday events. It makes no sense, especially given that we are in a period of content drought where it has been almost 3 months since the last content update in 7.1.
    I don't understand how an interim patch that's adding a completely new set to the Brawler's Guild, major class changes, and setting up for Nighthold is an issue. Did you forget that Nighthold opens the week after? Which will most likely come with further quest content as well. It may not be listed, but Nighthold is ultimately part of that patch on a technical level.

People tend to dramatically overestimate the amount of resources it takes for lesser features like the S.E.L.F.I.E. camera or these micro-holidays. Micro-holidays of course took a little more I'm sure, but these sorts of features are likely pet projects for a handful of people out of hundreds working on development. These sorts of features don't impact other content development and likely gives members of the team a greater purpose during the time where raid/dungeon content is being refined.

I also find it incredibly hard to believe more than 1% of the population is in a 'content drought' state right now. I'd go so far as to say most are in 'content flood' and having trouble keeping up, but maybe you're in that 1% so it seems that way to you. Have you completed all raid content at the Mythic level? Have you maxed all reputations, completed all quest lines, unlocked or found all collectibles? Have you completed all mythic dungeons at the +15 (or higher) level? Are your artifacts all maxed out to 54?

TL;DR - If you don't consider any of the above as 'content', then MMOs might not be for you. Otherwise I think you may have very unrealistic expectations as to how fast major content can be produced.
    Last edited by Nahela; 2017-01-07 at 11:00 AM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    From what I get of the OP is that having fun is bad.. That having micro holidays is having a bit of fun and that as before having fun is bad..

Thing being this is a .5 patch which is to all intents and purposes a minor patch.. 6.1 was lambasted because it was seen as a major patch be a lot of people when in the end it wasn't.. And we have already had our first major patch with 7.1 that gave us Trial or Valor raid, a renewed Karazhan 5 man dungeon and the finishing touches to the Suramar storyline and much more..

But seeing as who the OP is I am not surprised at another whine thread from them..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blupparen View Post
    Atleast they don't pretend that 7.1.5 is a major patch like they did with 6.1.
    So very true, just a pity the OP does not see this..
    Last edited by grexly75; 2017-01-07 at 10:59 AM.

Deleted
    This OP shows whats wrong WITH THE PLAYERS, not with the game.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    This OP shows whats wrong WITH THE PLAYERS, not with the game.
    Precisely this is what is wrong with the community that there is always a rotten element.. Considering who the OP is they have been very busy spamming whinge threads..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saafiaxo View Post
    I agree the patch is kind of underwhelming. Nothing really new being added.

Sure, there's brawlers guild and MoP timewalking but those things have just been re-tuned/polished.

I love when people act as though Nighthold is part of 7.1.5s content :-P No, it's been there since god knows how far into beta, they've just managed to push it back this far just as they did with BRF.

All in all though it's supposed to be a "mini patch" so can't really expect too much in terms of new content.
    Pretty big class changes, Brawlers guild and technically a new raid?

"nothing new", I do agree though that the micro-holidays are a huge waste of time.
    Last edited by Deztru; 2017-01-07 at 11:22 AM.

7.1.5 was marketed as a small patch. 6.1 was marketed as a major patch.

Anyone upset with 7.1.5's content confuses me. Like, what did you expect from a small patch? I can understand the overall lack of content argument, but being upset that a small patch is small seems.... odd.

Big patches with raids and zones and large storylines and big content will be 7.0, 7.2, 7.4
    Moderate sized patches with small raids, side zones, expanded systems, and a dungeon or two will be 7.1, 7.3, 7.5
    Small patches will tuning, micro holidays, updates, and QoL changes will be 7.1.5, 7.2.5, 7.3.5, 7.4.5, 7.5.5
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

OP, your post is 6.1 of this forum. CG

People who aren't you enjoy different stuff, and instead of accepting that you complain that you aren't the sole audience of the developer's efforts.

Basically if it isn't what YOU want, it isn't good enough.
    Well tough.

Micro-holidays are IMO a good way to approach events, non-rewarding and so optional.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Micro-holidays are IMO a good way to approach events, non-rewarding and so optional.
    WoD is IMO a good way to approach non-raiding content, non-rewarding and so optional.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post

Yeah lets completely forget about brawlers guild and 7 days later Nighthold right?

Just no content what so ever.

Rofl

at least they're not trying to pass this patch off as a major feature which was the main reason the selfie patch got so much backlash. this is a minor patch with some minor bits of additional content (Nighthold not being a part of the patch after all) and the usual jumble of bug fixes, class changes and almost certainly a bunch of undocumented changes

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saafiaxo View Post
    I agree the patch is kind of underwhelming. Nothing really new being added.

Sure, there's brawlers guild and MoP timewalking but those things have just been re-tuned/polished.

I love when people act as though Nighthold is part of 7.1.5s content :-P No, it's been there since god knows how far into beta, they've just managed to push it back this far just as they did with BRF.

All in all though it's supposed to be a "mini patch" so can't really expect too much in terms of new content.
    Is the glass ever half full for you or is it just plain empty 24/7?

Deleted
    I find the idea of Mirco-Holidays great and I'm looking forward to the AQ one.

Also, Brawlers Guild is imho a very cool feature and I can't wait to get at it again.