Detailed info from PTR re: acquiring the class mount

Neat thread detailing the quest line and mats you're going to need.

Source: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20753337991

Quote Originally Posted by Jackishi
    Hey guys, just did some testing on the PTR and wanted to share an overview of the class mount, how to get it, and how it looks in action. Keep in mind, none of this is final, but it should give you an idea of what to expect from the quest (also, needless to say, there will be spoilers). If you just want an idea of how it looks like, scroll down for the description and later on I'll see if I can add screenshots as well.

Prereqs and Fetch Quests
    On the PTR, there's an NPC that gives you Broken Isles Pathfinder 1 and 2, as well as unlocks the questline for your class mount (which leads me to believe that you won't actually see the quest until you complete the new class campaign quests and get the Broken Isles Pathfinder achievements).

Once that's started, you go to Lord Grayson Shadowbreaker, the guy next to the mission board. Human and Dwarf Paladins in Vanilla should remember him fondly (psh) as he's the one responsible for all the trouble they went through to get the original Charger. You're given a few fetch quests at this point, similar to the Vanilla questline though not nearly as painful.

- Your first item needed is to bring Lord Grayson a Stonehide Leather Barding from leatherworking.

- Second part requires you to take the barding to Dalaran's blacksmith and give him 50 Leystone Ore from Mining and a Saber's Eye from Jewelcrafting. This is easily the most expensive part of the quest so plan ahead accordingly.

- Once the Blacksmith has given you a Reinforced Barding from the mats you've given, speak to Lord Grayson again and go to Stratholme!

Scenario
    The last part of the quest takes you to the service gate of Stratholme, where you get to start a scenario that basically has you run that part of the instance with new mobs, although you can have two Paladin NPCs with you of differing specializations (you can choose any combination of two from Ret, Prot, or Holy - as a Ret I went with the Prot and Holy NPCs) and you can mount as well.

You start off at the chapel (the same one us bloody elves burned down in Burning Crusade, whoops), and Lord Grayson tasks you with getting 6 Stratholme Holy Water throughout the city, while also rescuing three of the scouts he sent ahead to investigate. They're conveniently held prisoner at the Ziggurat locations where the old bosses used to be (go figure), and each one is guarded by a boss NPC and an annoying dude who summons swarms of undead.

Ret seems to be quite overpowered for this part of the scenario as Wake of Ashes stuns pretty much everything including bosses. Admittedly, I was also ilvl 890 so it's hard to gauge how difficult those three bosses are at lower gear levels, but tuning may not be final - at this point though, they're easy to deal with, and their damaging casts are stunnable and interruptible.

Once the three scrubs, er, scouts are rescued and you have the 6 Holy Waters, you go back to Lord Grayson to give him the mats, who promptly tells you it's time to face the specter of Lord Rivendare himself for his mount -- only to find that his body isn't at final ziggurat! You then hear a voice yelling for you outside, and a Necromancer atop Rivendare's mount appears with a horde of undead, ready to pounce on you and your Paladin forces.

Admittedly, this part of the scenario was a little tricky - while the boss could be CC'd, the trash seems to infinitely respawn. They also dealt a truckload of damage to my Paladin NPCs, who'd been holding their own up to that point. I was able to oneshot it with my gear, but if they tune it any harder expect a decent challenge. Again, Wake of Ashes was a lifesaver alongside Blinding Light - besides the swarms of undead, the necromancer did a decent chunk of damage on his own.

Finally, once you down him, you capture Rivendare's mount! A fun cutscene occurs at the end where you bring the purified barding to Rivendare's mount in front of your altar and it purifies the steed, turning it into the Highlord's Golden Charger. It then does a cute little kneel animation to you as it basks in your awesomeness, and finally the mount is yours. Congrats!

TLDR: Canonically, you are now the true owner of Baron Revindare's Charger as you corrupt it with your Light magics to do your bidding.

What does it look like?

The first mount you receive is the Highlord's Golden Charger variant, shown here: http://www.wowhead.com/legion-pathfi...ots:4009667:18

In my opinion, it's a beautiful mount in action - it has a unique summoning appearance and sound effect where it appears in a pillar of light with a distinct neigh. The tail and hooves glow, and while it doesn't have any wings, it leaves golden hoofprints in its wake, even in the air. Sadly I haven't figured out if there's any way to make it kneel like it did in the cutscene - its mountspecial is the standard rising on its hindlegs.

I did mention that it's the first mount you receive, and there's actually a total of four. To unlock the other three color variants, currently you need to unlock all artifact traits of your respective spec's Artifact Weapon which includes the new 7.2 traits. Afterwards, Crusader Lord Dalfors, the Dwarf near Lord Grayson, will sell you the respective mount for 10,000 Order Resources each.

Here's the list of mounts that go with each spec:

- Holy - Heraldic Reins of the Valorous Charger, the Silver/Blonde/Purple variant AKA the Jaina Horse - http://www.wowhead.com/legion-pathfi...ots:4009667:15

- Prot - Stoic Reins of the Vigilent (sic) Charger, the Silver/Blue/Purple variant http://www.wowhead.com/legion-pathfi...ots:4009667:17

- Ret - Harsh Reins of the Vengeful Charger, the Silver/Red/Angry variant http://www.wowhead.com/legion-pathfi...ots:4009667:16

It may seem like much work to unlock all these additional colors, but on the plus side, for you crazy Paladin who have multiple Pally alts, they seem to work account wide as I was able to access the mount on a fresh Paladin copy that hadn't completed the quest.

I'll update the post with more info/screenshots when I'm able. Hope this helps!

Edit: For those wondering, no, it does not currently replace your Divine Steed graphic.
    Last edited by Gloriandus; 2017-02-16 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks for the post, great information.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I can use the ret one as Holy as long as I unlock it and purchase the mount?
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.