Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Dylann Roof Sentenced to Death for Charleston Church Massacre

http://www.wfaa.com/syndication/face...acre/384883154

Charleston, SC (WLTX) – A federal jury sentenced has convicted killer and white supremacist Dylann Roof to death for murdering nine people at a historically black church in Charleston, South Carolina.

The jury deliberated for just under three hours Tuesday before coming to a decision.

Roof , dressed in a blue sweater, did not ask for forgiveness in his final statement made hours earlier and did not ask the jury to give him the life sentence for his mass shooting at Mother Emanuel AME back in June of 2015.

“I felt like I had to do it and I still feel like I had to do it,” Roof told the jury of the church shooting he carried out.

He also said during his short closing statement that the prosecution and anyone else who hated him was “misled.”

“They don’t know what real hatred looks like,” Roof said to the jury.

Roof also told the jury that he’s been told it was his right to ask for the life sentence but said he didn’t know what good that would do.

Prosecutor Jay Richardson passionately expressed to the jury for about two hours why Roof deserved the death penalty.

“You’ve heard how after they started that Bible study, they welcomed a 13th person that night,” Richardson said.

Richardson started off by telling the jury how the worshippers were studying Mark 4 the night of June 17, 2015.

Richardson says Roof “walked methodically around the room executing one after the other.”

Loved ones shed tears as the prosecution showed the late victims in pools of blood at the church.

Richardson also reviewed Roof’s racist writings and reiterated how Roof had said he needed to take action since Blacks were “raping white women and taking over the world.”

Richardson told the jury Roof had planned and prepared for the mass shooting by doing things like buying a gun, having target practice in his backyard, researching and studying racist websites and driving to the church several times in the months leading up to the shooting.

“He thought, prepared and ultimately decided to go through with it,” Richardson told the jury.

Richardson also said Roof’s intentions was to agitate race relations.

“His plan was to agitate, incite and create a white future,” Richardson explained of Roof’s desires. “Not one ounce of remorse.”

Richardson reminded the jury how Roof said he had not shed a single tear for the victim.

“People he believed were subhuman that were less than human,” Richardson said of Roof’s regard for the victims. “No remorse for that pain that he’s caused.”

“You also know how extremely good these people were,” Richardson said. “You know who they were and how they lived their lives.”

Richardson said all that Roof has done justifies the death penalty and should die for killing the nine victims.

“He wants to spend his life in prison, listening to the radio, writing more racist filth,” the prosecutor said. “His hatred is not the passionate anger hatred, it’s calculated, it’s cold, but it is hatred just the same.”

“The loss of his freedom was worth it,” Richardson said of Roof’s beliefs. “He continues to believe that he has done the right thing.”

One by one, Richardson described each victim’s life over pictures.

“These are the pillars of that church and the pillars of the community,” the prosecutor said during his closing statement. “A loss felt deeply far beyond the walls of that church.”

During the course of the trial, the relatives and friends of Clementa Pinckney, Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, Tywanza Sanders, Ethel Lance, Susie Jackson, Cynthia Hurd, Myra Thompson, Daniel Simmons Sr., and DePayne Middleton-Doctor all shared the great loss they’ve felt without their loved ones.

The jury had convicted Roof of 33 counts for the church slayings in December.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't say I'll shed a tear.

Deleted
    Do prosecutors talk like that? Doesn't seem particularly professional.

No one has the right to take the life of another.............

With that said I won't shed a tear and some don't deserve to live.

Edit: Also it will be year's before this is carried out i'm sure and I'm sure he will appeal it as many times as hes allowed.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    Do prosecutors talk like that? Doesn't seem particularly professional.
    Yes, they do. Both defense and prosecution get to make closing statements, which usually entail a lot of emotional appeal.

He is also proud of what he did so hopefully he will skip the years of appeals.
    Last edited by noidentity; 2017-01-10 at 10:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not surprising. I may not be pro death penalty but no tears till be shed for this monster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    Hey is also proud of what he did so hopefully he will skip the years of appeals.
    Yeah good luck with that. Cowards like him will stretch out the inevitable as long as possible.

Good riddance. Would be more even more fitting if a black person executed him, so the last thing he sees will be the "inferior" race laughing at him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im ok with this.

Then again, I'm generally ok with the death penalty where the proof is irrefutable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Yeah good luck with that. Cowards like him will stretch out the inevitable as long as possible.
    True, he would probably take that time to grandstand and spout his rhetoric.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Antereon View Post
    Good riddance. Would be more even more fitting if a black person executed him, so the last thing he sees will be the "inferior" race laughing at him.
    That's quite disturbing. I don't think humiliation of people sentenced to death is warranted under any circumstances.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Yes, they do. Both defense and prosecution get to make closing statements, which usually entail a lot of emotional appeal.
    Oh, I guess I've gotten the wrong impression of it from school. :/

Man I wish I could have been on that jury being able to deliver that sentence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    True, he would probably take that time to grandstand and spout his rhetoric.
    Most likely what will happen. If he's allowed it he'll get plenty of fan mail if he hasn't already. Same with Manson.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Man I wish I could have been on that jury being able to deliver that sentence.
    the jury just decides guilt or innocence in criminal court, the judge decides the sentence.

“They don’t know what real hatred looks like,” Roof said to the jury.
    I do. I've seen pictures of Dylann. I hope they cremate him before they actually execute him.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    the jury just decides guilt or innocence in criminal court, the judge decides the sentence.
    actually, the jury has to agree on if the death sentence is ok too

to quote my favorite Youtuber: neat

Deleted
    It's alright. But I'm also for a death penalty for child abusers and murderers. Blood for blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the judgement. Can still change, sentencing hearing is next. Not that I'm against him dying...

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I am against the death penalty, and I feel sorry that humanity, genetics, or his parents/community failed this person.

It will not make me feel better with him dead. I just feel a small measure of despair that it has to come to this.
    It doesn't, but I think you already know that.