Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Next PS4 Firmware update to get External HDD support! FINALLY!

The title says it all.

I personally have been saying that this was needed for a long time now.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

Even the WiiU offered external HDD support at launch (any size, any brand). Kinda shocking that it took the PS4 this long to allow this.

They should have added this at launch, imo.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

About bloody time, welcome to CURRENT YEAR, Sony.

Oh look. A feature that the competition has had for years already. Glad Sony decided to join the 21st century.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know. I have three XB1s in my house. (Living Room, bedroom for media, and kids playroom) so nice being able to download a game once on one xb1 and copy it to other externals for other systems.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

Cool but anyone who has wanted a big HD good chance has already swapped it out for a bigger one.

External suppoer is nice but wasn't needed since u could do this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Oh look. A feature that the competition has had for years already. Glad Sony decided to join the 21st century.
    Let me know when the Competition lets you swap out HD's like you could since day 1 on the Ps4.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Cool but anyone who has wanted a big HD good chance has already swapped it out for a bigger one.

I disagree... the largest internal 2.5" HDD you can buy right now is 2TB. So you buy a 2TB drive at a premium (because of 2.5" formfactor) and install it. now you have 2TB and a 500GB drive that can't be used so storage on the system anymore.

With external drives, you just plug in and go and it ADDs to your already existing internal storage not replaces. so if I add a 3TB external to my 1TB internal, I will have 4TB total.

One my XB1s (1TB internal), I have almost 180 games installed... INSTALLED. I don't want to have to redownload games and patches next time I wanna play one. I have an external 3TB for games and a 500GB external for Xbox 360 games and I am right now at 86% capacity between all three drives. Not to mention sharing games with my kids XB1 in the other room (I am the owner of it), I can just grab their external HD, connect it to my XB1s and copy games to it for them. No need to download another 30-60GB just to install a game.

and last but not least... the interface speeds.... Both XB1 and PS4 use a SATAII interface internally with a max speed of 300 MB/s transfer, while USB 3.0 has a max speed of 625 MB/s transfer. This is why all XB1 users that have external drives notice that games load faster than before.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a picture on my living room XB1 dashboard from a couple months ago...

Last edited by Bristae; 2017-02-03 at 06:42 PM. Reason: fixing image
    Fanboy (Fanboi):

Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post
    I disagree... the largest internal 2.5" HDD you can buy right now is 2TB. So you buy a 2TB drive at a premium (because of 2.5" formfactor) and install it. now you have 2TB and a 500GB drive that can't be used so storage on the system anymore.
    There is a dock u can buy that allows you to use a desktop HD if u wanted bigger space.

Its a good feature to have, but I would not say it was needed. Also Yes the ps4 usees SATA2 but the Ps4 Pro uses SATA III.

All XB1 Users have a external drive because they can't swap out there internal without breaking the warranty.

Edit: My original point is the jabbs at Sony is childish. Yes it lacking this feature was stupid, but there was options.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-02-03 at 06:45 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Yeah kind of meh for me now since I just stuck a 2 TB HDD in there. But still about damn time.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a dock u can buy that allows you to use a desktop HD if u wanted bigger space.

Its a good feature to have, but I would not say it was needed. Also Yes the ps4 usees SATA2 but the Ps4 Pro uses SATA III.

All XB1 Users have a external drive because they can't swap out there internal without breaking the warranty.

Yes, i know I have one. It is called a DataBank. I bought a 2TB SSHD to use with it. but it was still more work than just connecting a USB 3.0 hard drive of any size. but I guess that's not getting through. oh well.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):

Quote Originally Posted by Bristae View Post
    Yes, i know I have one. It is called a DataBank. I bought a 2TB SSHD to use with it. but it was still more work than just connecting a USB 3.0 hard drive of any size. but I guess that's not getting through. oh well.
    My original point was the jabbs at Sony for not having said feature was childish. Its great it has it now for those who want to use it.

Also people noticed loading times was faster on the XB1 not just due to using the USB. It was also because both OG Ps4 and XB1 use 5400 RPM HD's and it runs like ass.

Also for for whatever reason the ps4 (and good chance XB1) doesn't use the full speed of the SATA 2 (Or Sata 3). DF talk's about it in the video below.

Good that it has it, I just felt the jabbs for it not having it was childish.

Isn't the dock a piece of crap though that sometimes causes issues for the PS4? Friend of mine bought one and he had nothing but trouble with it so he just ended up getting rid of it. Although of course one doesn't speak for all admittedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Isn't the dock a piece of crap though that sometimes causes issues for the PS4? Friend of mine bought one and he had nothing but trouble with it so he just ended up getting rid of it. Although of course one doesn't speak for all admittedly.
    I never used one personally or heard of any problems. Not saying it hasn't caused any.

Was just pointing out it was a option.

Like I said I just felt the jabbs at Sony for not having it was childish, Even more so when there is options.

Buddy of mine has a 2TB SSD in his Ps4 lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best PS4 news in years

I never used one personally or heard of any problems. Not saying it hasn't caused any.

Was just pointing out it was a option.

Like I said I just felt the jabbs at Sony for not having it was childish, Even more so when there is options.

Buddy of mine has a 2TB SSD in his Ps4 lol.
    Found a 2TB Seagate HDD for mine. Pricey but well now I have like 1.4 TB of storage space which is more than enough for games that I want in the future.

FF7 remake, FF12 remaster (possibly), Crash Bandicoot Remastered, Last of us 2 and a few more.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me know when the Competition lets you swap out HD's like you could since day 1 on the Ps4.
    Xbox 360 had it; Not sure about Xbox One...

Xbox One seems to be several steps backwards from the Xbox 360, though.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    Xbox 360 had it; Not sure about Xbox One...

Xbox One seems to be several steps backwards from the Xbox 360, though.
    XB1 got external at a later date (I think just a couple months later). But you can not swap out the internal HD without voiding ur warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Found a 2TB Seagate HDD for mine. Pricey but well now I have like 1.4 TB of storage space which is more than enough for games that I want in the future.

FF7 remake, FF12 remaster (possibly), Crash Bandicoot Remastered, Last of us 2 and a few more.
    Cool beans, I may upgrade to a 2TB at some point for my pro but the 1TB has been enough for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    About bloody time, welcome to CURRENT YEAR, Sony.
    pretty sure external ssd support has been a thing for over a decade but w/e

- - - Updated - - -

If it had been Microsoft just now allowing a feature like this to happen with the XO, you can bet your ass there would have been a deluge of Sony Ponies ripping MS a new one about how they were late to the game with such a basic feature. So it's only fair to criticize Sony for being so damn lazy up to this point with this feature.

And being able to swap out internal drives since day 1 on a PS4 is a pretty moot point when the competition allowed for even larger storage drives to be hooked up (even though it was externally) and allowed them to run at faster speeds this entire time as well. Saying the PS4 Pro allows faster speeds now is also moot considering it came years after the fact.

We all know you have a raging hard on for anything Sony/PlayStation related JT. You don't have to come into every thread like this and fanboy all over the place and get your Sony spooge everywhere.

Let's not turn this thread into a pointless platform war please, folks. Thanks.