Laptop CPU upgrade - Multiplier

Hey people, I hope you can help me. I am very close to upgrading my i5-430M to a i7-820QM, but one single issue has me without answers. Back in the day, with like, Dothan Core Pentium M's (the last time I messed around with seriously upgrading laptops), all I had to do was match the FSB. Just slap a processor in a compatible socket with a compatible FSB, but with a higher multiplier, and it was gravy, right?

Okay, but now, I'm looking at these two processors (the i5-430M and the i7-820QM) and I'm noticing that the i5 is rated at either an 800 or 1066 FSB with a 17X multiplier, and the i7 at 1066 or 1333 FSB and a 12X multiplier. Will the i7 function appropriately at the rated 1.73 GHz/3.06 GHz? Will the multiplier be a problem, is basically my question. I have a Phoenix BIOS, so obviously BIOS-level multiplier adjustment is not an option.

I really appreciate any help you guys can give, because this upgrade would bring me from ~2400 to about 3600 on Passmark, and allowing me to really bring my head above water on Diablo3 at high ass settings. Thanks!

---------- Post added 2012-05-10 at 10:52 AM ----------

Well, it's too bad I couldn't find any answers. But I'm just going to buy it for the cheap $150 price and slap in it and see what happens! Wish me luck!

This will be my last post in this thread, I just wanted to provide a conclusion. It works. The motherboard and OS seem to just read the CPU and everything behaves accordingly, at least on an HM55 Chipset and a G60JX motherboard like I have. So if anyone has a G60JX, this upgrade works.

Hi, I'm looking at upgrading the same memory card, and wanted to know what I could possibly upgrade to. I ran Belarc Advisor to see what my mother board is, and this is what it told me:
    Board: Dell Inc. 0VF0FR A03
    Serial Number: .3ZJ74K1.CN7524104O0053.
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Dell Inc. A03 02/09/2010

Is it possible for me to do the same upgrade? Is it possible for me to do any upgrade?

What kind of CPU do you currently have in your system? Because I'm talking about a CPU upgrade, not a memory card.

Edit: Do you have a Dell Studio 1458 with an i5-450M? Because that's what google is pulling up. If that's the case, and you have an HM55 chipset (PM55 chipset seems to also be fine, though I can't 100% confirm this), I say go for it. Just be aware that the i7-820QM has a TDP of 45W, higher than the TDP of 35W on the i5-450M. So it will run a bit hotter; make sure your cooling is good and don't skimp on paste.

Oh, and make sure your BIOS is fully up-to-date. I had read about my Asus G60JX having problems with CPU upgrades if the BIOS was really out of date.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-05-16 at 04:54 AM.

Do'h, yeah, I meant to type CPU. And yes, it is a Studio 1458. I'll probably have a shop install it for me, since all I've ever done is add Ram & replace graphics cards on desktops. Don't really trust myself with a processor on a laptop.

---------- Post added 2012-05-16 at 05:00 AM ----------

Also, how's Diablo running for you / what do you use for graphics (out of curiosity)?

Quote Originally Posted by MF248 View Post
    Do'h, yeah, I meant to type CPU. And yes, it is a Studio 1458. I'll probably have a shop install it for me, since all I've ever done is add Ram & replace graphics cards on desktops. Don't really trust myself with a processor on a laptop.
    It's just like doing it on a desktop, to be honest. However, I still have all my old equipment like an anti-static wrist strap, proper screwdrivers, etc. It's really not hard, you just have to be careful. It's also fun!

But just make sure your BIOS is flashed to the newest version, and make sure your CPU temps as is are reasonably below threshold. If your CPU is running hot already, a move to an i7 quad core could be pushing it, you know? My old i5-430M idled at 35-40 Celsius, and my new quad i7 idles at about 55 Celsius! Of course, I used Arctic Silver 5, which has a 200-hour burn in period. Just be aware of the heat issues, and make sure your laptop is beefy enough to cool the new proc.

Quote Originally Posted by MF248 View Post
    Also, how's Diablo running for you / what do you use for graphics (out of curiosity)?
    I was only able to realize an average of about a 5 FPS increase in Diablo3, in specific areas (some areas did not improve, like the foggy entrance of New Tristram). Not super awesome, but I'm still really happy with my quad core upgrade and the longevity and multi-threaded performance it affords me

I have an Nvidia GTS 360M with 1GB GDDR5 VRAM. I run Diablo3 in full 1920x1080, all settings High except shadows, which are off (I could set it to low or medium, but the fps increase with shadows off is literally like 20 fps). I have AA off by preference, and of course low fx is off. My framerates run anywhere from 30-60.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2012-05-16 at 05:27 AM.

I have an ASUS A52JK which also comes with Intel i5 430M CPU.The same laptop also comes with other types of processor, which are:
    1) Intel i5 430M/450M/460M/520M/540M CPU
    2) Intel i3 330M/350M/370M CPU
    3) Intel Pentium® Dual-Core P6000 CPU

I am thinking of upgrading the CPU of my laptop to Intel i7 940XM or i7 640M. I have checked the TDP and CPU ID for Intel i5 430M, 640M and Intel i7 940XM. The TDP for i7 940XM are higher, which is 55W while the TDP for Intel i5 430M and 640M is 35W. The CPU ID for Intel i5 430M is 20652, the CPU ID for Intel i7 540M is 20655 and the CPU ID for Intel i7 940XM is 106F1.

After reading the successful stories from the first link that I give above (and ignoring the unsuccessful stories :P ), I feel like I want to go for i7-940XM. If i7-940XM doesn't work, then I will try i7-640M (or lower). If the i7-940XM, works but have overheating problem, then I will try the i7-840QM (or lower).