Feedback on my Guardian Tanking

Hey all, I'm currently in a guild thats 9/10 heroic with plans to delve into Mythic, and I want to improve. I notice I have a few problems as of late with threat, and I always parse pretty low (in the grey or green for my ilevel) in damage on every fight. I know dps isnt priority for tanks, but my co-tank outperforms me constantly, and its an area I think I can improve greatly.

Any tips on my actual tanking would be appreciated as well!

Here is a link to logs on all fights except Elisande/Gul'dan for this week: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...F9pWdj#fight=1

I am Algarin, the guardian druid, of course!

Thanks in advance.

I haven't tanked much in raids yet but few comments/questions from what I understand on Bear deeps:
    * You have no mauls. This should be used when you're OT'ing
    * All the high parses are probably cat weaving. What affinity are you? (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Algarin/simple if your armory it's resto)
    * Using above armory you're using tanking trinkets. I would use DPS trinkets unless your healers complain/you're taking too much damage.
    * Same for neck enchant for hidden satyr vs heavy hide (heavy hide also isn't as good now since it doesn't work with druid armor multipliers I believe anymore)
    Last edited by pay928; 2017-02-03 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Cenarius has experience and more informed feedback

Quote Originally Posted by pay928 View Post
    I haven't tanked much in raids yet but few comments/questions from what I understand on Bear deeps:
    * You have no mauls. This should be used when you're OT'ing
    * All the high parses are probably cat weaving. What affinity are you? (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Algarin/simple if your armory it's resto)
    * Using above armory you're using tanking trinkets. I would use DPS trinkets unless your healers complain/you're taking too much damage.
    * Same for neck enchant for hidden satyr vs heavy hide (heavy hide also isn't as good now since it doesn't work with druid armor multipliers I believe anymore)
    Neck enchant is a really good catch. Satyr does quite a bit, and there's too much magic damage in Nighthold to keep heavy hide on for. (It's good for survival, but useless on any magic damage anyways, and that's what's gonna kill you on e.g. Guldan Elisande Krosus Skorpyron Chronomatic anomaly ...)
    The trinkets are a big deal. Try and find some good trinkets on this list:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1527758211

However, I'm going to have to disagree with everything else. The high parses might be catweaving. But catweaving LOWERS your threat, don't use it if you have threat issues, I haven't catweaved anywhere in Nighthold and I'm getting 97+% on any fight (except elisande for some reason).
    DON'T USE MAUL. Only use it when you are completely safe and are rage capped without you having to tank in the next 8 seconds (which never happens).
    It's not worth it. Ever. Just don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OwynMorin View Post
    Hey all, I'm currently in a guild thats 9/10 heroic with plans to delve into Mythic, and I want to improve. I notice I have a few problems as of late with threat, and I always parse pretty low (in the grey or green for my ilevel) in damage on every fight. I know dps isnt priority for tanks, but my co-tank outperforms me constantly, and its an area I think I can improve greatly.

Here is a link to logs on all fights except Elisande/Gul'dan for this week: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...F9pWdj#fight=1

Thanks in advance.
    Going through your logs now. I have some questions though. What legendaries do you have access to? What trinkets do you have access to?

Quote Originally Posted by CenariusTheForestLord View Post
    Neck enchant is a really good catch. Satyr does quite a bit, and there's too much magic damage in Nighthold to keep heavy hide on for. (It's good for survival, but useless on any magic damage anyways, and that's what's gonna kill you on e.g. Guldan Elisande Krosus Skorpyron Chronomatic anomaly ...)

However, I'm going to have to disagree with everything else. The high parses might be catweaving. But catweaving LOWERS your threat, don't use it if you have threat issues, I haven't catweaved anywhere in Nighthold and I'm getting 97+% on any fight (except elisande for some reason).
    DON'T USE MAUL. Only use it when you are completely safe and are rage capped without you having to tank in the next 8 seconds (which never happens).

- - - Updated - - -

Going through your logs now. I have some questions though. What legendaries do you have access to? What trinkets do you have access to?
    Currently I only have one Legendary as I burnt out near the beginning the expansion, only logging on for raids. That would be Pyrdaz. As for trinkets, not very many unfortunately, and none that are DPS. I have the Grotesque Statuette and Goblet of Ichors which I used for most of Emerald Nightmare, and currently use the Goblet + Animated Exoskeleton (The one that drops off Skorpyon). The only other Trinket I have access to besides those three is Infernal Contract (895 ilevel) from Gul'dan.

I guess I always focused on gearing myself more towards survivability than dps, as I never enjoyed that role on its own and wanted to be as easy to heal as possible. I just thought to be parsing so low means I was doing something wrong at the core level. After all the stigma against Maul I just sort of wrote it off, but I'll definitely try to use it when OTing and theres no use for my rage at all.

As for the threat, I've been noticing some improvements ever since I caught up in gear with my Demon Hunter co-tank, but he just seems to be able to put out so much threat. Is this an actual issue with bear threat? For instance, on aoe trash pulls, there is no way I can straight up pull threat off him without taunting, even if I'm focusing on one mob. In fights, taunting and mangle + pulverizing usually gives me a big enough jump that he cant catch up, but it can happen. Not sure why Guardian threat just seems so gimped.

Anyway, appreciate all the feedback, and sorry for the wall of text!

*EDIT* After writing this, I got Cinidaria, the Symbiote from an emissary cache. Doesn't make much of a difference since I only had one legendary, but I suppose it should help with my dps. Atleast it isnt Sephusz!
    Last edited by OwynMorin; 2017-02-03 at 11:44 PM.

Currently I only have one Legendary as I burnt out near the beginning the expansion, only logging on for raids. That would be Pyrdaz. As for trinkets, not very many unfortunately, and none that are DPS. I have the Grotesque Statuette and Goblet of Ichors which I used for most of Emerald Nightmare, and currently use the Goblet + Animated Exoskeleton (The one that drops off Skorpyon). The only other Trinket I have access to besides those three is Infernal Contract (895 ilevel) from Gul'dan.

I guess I always focused on gearing myself more towards survivability than dps, as I never enjoyed that role on its own and wanted to be as easy to heal as possible. I just thought to be parsing so low means I was doing something wrong at the core level. After all the stigma against Maul I just sort of wrote it off, but I'll definitely try to use it when OTing and theres no use for my rage at all.

As for the threat, I've been noticing some improvements ever since I caught up in gear with my Demon Hunter co-tank, but he just seems to be able to put out so much threat. Is this an actual issue with bear threat? For instance, on aoe trash pulls, there is no way I can straight up pull threat off him without taunting, even if I'm focusing on one mob. In fights, taunting and mangle + pulverizing usually gives me a big enough jump that he cant catch up, but it can happen. Not sure why Guardian threat just seems so gimped.

Anyway, appreciate all the feedback, and sorry for the wall of text!

*EDIT* After writing this, I got Cinidaria, the Symbiote from an emissary cache. Doesn't make much of a difference since I only had one legendary, but I suppose it should help with my dps. Atleast it isnt Sephusz!
    Belt isn't that bad for dps At least initial dps

Quote Originally Posted by CenariusTheForestLord View Post

- - - Updated - - -

You may not catweave but you do use dps trinkets and swap talents to cheese tank damage so you probably shouldn't undersell it that much.

Blademaster
    7+ Year Old Account

Thanks in advance.
    Your Mark of Ursol and Ironfur uptimes are practically nonexistent on most fights, good pulverize uptime, low potion usage and no pre-pot, I would keep the heavy hide enchant unless you're planning some DPS build, however a good tank should always prioritize survivability over DPS, if your raid needs your DPS that bad chances are there are too many DPS underperforming.

As for trinkets:
    A Tier
    Grotesque Statuette if and only if you can get full effect from it (fairly weak on Star Augur)
    Unstable Arcanocrystal

B Tier
    Darkmoon Deck: Immortality
    Infernal Contract (if and only if you plan on using it at specific points; particularly good at high item level)
    Fang of Tichondrius (in dungeons/aoe)
    Shivermaw’s Jawbone (in dungeons/aoe with 5+ targets)
    Majordomo’s Dinner Bell (with versatility food)
    Writhing Heart of Darkness - only this effective against your main target, much less good against secondary targets
    Animated Exoskeleton

C Tier
    Raven Eidolon
    Unbridled Fury (if and only if you plan on using it at specific points)
    Coagulated Nightwell Residue
    Archimonde’s Hatred Reborn (compared to trinkets of a high ilvl; don’t use if you have other good trinkets and other good legendaries)
    Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker 601
    Valor Medal of the First War (if and only if you plan on using it at specific points)
    Talisman of the Cragshaper
    Stat sticks (at similar item level; bear in mind higher item level ones are going to be a lot stronger)

D Tier
    Parjesh’s Medallion
    Purified Shard of the Third Moon (compared to trinkets at ~850)
    Goblet of Nightmarish Ichor (on low movement fights where you can maximise uptime by dodging blobs whilst the buff is already up)