Horde Balance ED Question

Hello,

I recently rolled Balance and got the ED legendary. I am currently at 17% haste and it is basically impossible to try and weave consistently or even at all.

Is it better to just stick to the standard rotation until I get enough haste to utilize the ED?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzai View Post
    Hello,

I recently rolled Balance and got the ED legendary. I am currently at 17% haste and it is basically impossible to try and weave consistently or even at all.

Is it better to just stick to the standard rotation until I get enough haste to utilize the ED?
    Fit in the most amount of AP between Starsurges that you can -- if you can only cast a single SW between Starsurges, then do that. It's always worth some positive amount of DPS to surgeweave even if you can only weave 1 spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippykins View Post
    Fit in the most amount of AP between Starsurges that you can -- if you can only cast a single SW between Starsurges, then do that. It's always worth some positive amount of DPS to surgeweave even if you can only weave 1 spell.
    It's worth noting that with ED, even without weaving it gives you a slight boost because with 100 AP you can get 3x SS out instead of 2x. Even with low haste you can always fit in at least 1x SW though - due to the negative haste of the Gul'dan trinket I am often at about 10% haste for short periods & in that time am still able to weave slightly

100 AP without weaving is SS (cost 40, 60 remaining) -> SS (cost 33, 27 remaining) -> SS (cost 26, 1 remaining)

100 AP weaving in just SW becomes SS (c40, 60r) -> SW (+8, 68r) -> SS (c33, 35r) -> SW (+8, 43r) -> SS (c26, 17r) -> SW (+8, 25r) - so still 3 SS's

Adding in Blessing of the Ancients though increases the AP from SW to +10, so that gives

SS(60r) -> SW(70r) -> SS(37r) -> SW(47r) -> SS(21r) -> SW(31r) -> SS(5r) -> SW(15r)

So up to 4 SS's still for that intial 100 AP. You can mix in new moon too in there in place of Solar Wrath if you have it. Maybe Half Moon also. For Lunar Wrath you need far higher haste, but if you are able to get a haste-proccing trinket like Chrono Shard, Erratic Metronome (from LFR) - then using something to show you your haste level will let you get used to casting more between Star Surges based on your haste level - i.e. over about 30% haste you can fit in a Lunar Strike

Thank you.

I have tried pooling my AP up to 100 and fitting in a SW between each SS. I feel like doing this and losing out on the Lunar Strike empowerments has hurt my DPS, though. I sim for 415-420kish on 5 minutes. Obviously this sim includes flask, food, deadly grace, etc. I hit a target dummy for 5 minutes without flask, food, and deadly grace and maintain a 380k DPS (only 870 ilvl w/ legendary) so I think I am pretty on par with my sim. I am only able to do this DPS though if I totally ignore the weaving, pool 100 AP, dump 3 star surges in a row and utilize all my empowerments, moons, rinse and repeat.

I may need to simply practice weaving. I feel uncomfortable with it at the moment even with the ED weak aura. I feel like it is "bad" to lose out on the empowered SW's and LS's and I try to minimalize that as much as possible.

Why are you losing out on Lunar Strike empowerments? Weaving in 1 SW lets you do 3 starsurges which is 3 empowerments which you consume to get back up to 100

Quote Originally Posted by Myztikrice View Post
    Why are you losing out on Lunar Strike empowerments? Weaving in 1 SW lets you do 3 starsurges which is 3 empowerments which you consume to get back up to 100
    You are right. Sometimes I do though during a burst phase where I can squeeze in 2 SW's and eventually somehow (probably by my mistake) I lose an empowerment. I haven't played Boomy since MoP and it is a bit different. I really enjoy the rotation though.

After looking at my logs I've found that I do not get as many SS's off as the others in my ilvl parse. It is actually pretty bad. Most people are getting off nearly double the SS's without even having the ED helm. I think I know why. I have been over capping AP a lot. This happens to me when casting full moon off cool down sometimes or just randomly when close to 100 AP but not quite there and I cast something to reach 100 but overcap.

I simply need to master the rotation still. Getting the helm has me reading into the haste breakpoints and weaving rotation a bit too much. I am not even at the 19% haste breakpoint yet.

I found the ED weak aura very distracting. In the end I found it better to cannibalise it a bit, taking out the haste % text. I then modified it to pay attention to spellHaste specifically ( because I have the Gul'dan trinket which hits spell haste but not actual haste ) and tweaked the boundaries a bit ( it has, for example, > 30 on one boundary and < 30 on another, so ignores == 30 )

This in turn gives me some numbers to look at and over time I can get used to knowing what each colour band means, for example the 30%+ band means I can fit in a Lunar Strike now instead of Solar Wrath. Whilst the idea of the original WA was good, due to the fact that my haste changes between 10% up to around 160-180% due to haste procs etc, I found it impossible to make good use of.

I don't have the resultant string to hand but can post it up if you're interested.

Other than that it is just a practise thing. You need to get to the point where you are comfortable with the rotation. If you aren't then you will lose DPS when compared to a rotation you are familiar with. Even if you maintain your original rotation with ED equipped you should see some gain at least as 1-2 SS's per cycle will be discounted so it then becomes a minor buff to Astral Power

I've found the WA helpful but at the same time I play on a west coast server and I live on the east coast. My ping is never lower than 90 and although the WA will say I can cast "X" spell, sometimes I just can't get the cast off in time due to the amount of lag.

One of the biggest things I have to adapt to coming from playing a BM Hunter is movement during the fight. My pure turret standing still Sim is like 430k. If I am not using a flask, food, or deadly graces and pulling 380k on single target fights I guess that is fine at 870ish item level. Always room for improvement though.

Get an AddOn called AdvancedInterfaceOptions and set custom lag tolerance to 400ms and you won't have issues with ED rotation due to latency.