Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Have you ever ate authentic mexican food?

I hear stories from co-workers that its very bland...unlike north american mexican food which is very tasty and spicy.

So is authentic mexican food bland and tasteless? I've only ever had taco bell and thats maybe once every 5 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mexican and North American Mexican food isn't the same thing?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I don't know pacox. I can understand the real mexican food being slightly less spicy..because who wants to have trouble on the toilet everyday. thats the only thing I can make sense of.

You don't have Mexicans up there in Toronto?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

There's traditional, which is probably the kind they are calling bland.

And then tex mex, which is what you get a taco bell or that place every town has.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    There's traditional, which is probably the kind they are calling bland.

And then tex mex, which is what you get a taco bell or that place every town has.
    thats the word I was looking for..traditional.

Yes and it has a lot of variance. Like you can eat shit in once place and find yourself in heaven in the stand next to it. So I would not really say there is much difference. Though there are places that make it very spicy, like the ones that you see on TV.

Authentic Mexican food will give you Montezuma's revenge unless you are from Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Yes and it has a lot of variance. Like you can eat shit in once place and find yourself in heaven in the stand next to it. So I would not really say there is much difference. Though there are places that make it very spicy, like the ones that you see on TV.
    Agreed.

All places are judged on salsa and carnitas.

It's tough to be contrarian when everything Jayburner posts is just so damn true.

I've been to 8 different locations in Mexico , all tourist spots (Cancun,Cozumel,Cabo etc ) and have yet to find any Mexican food/restaurant that was anything more than OK. Most are awful. You can get infinitely better Mexican food in San Antonio made by immigrants from Mexico. The last trip in Cabo like 3 weeks ago we talked to one of the restaurant owners about it and his explaination was ; "we don't get shit for fresh ingredients. They all go to the US and we get the reject produce and meat that the US wouldn't take and by the time we get its days if not weeks older. And it's just harder to make better food with worse ingredients. " I have no clue as to how true that is, but it seems to make decent enough sense.

As to why you can't get good traditional Mexican food in the US/Canada, I don't know. We have a mom and pop Mexican food place on nearly every corner in SA and you would have to go out of your way to find one that would be bad. But maybe that's just me. Mexican cuisine is my favorite. I just don't eat goat face or cow tongue or meat from carnicerias that looks like Swiss cheese or rope
    Last edited by Kapadons; 2017-02-15 at 02:44 AM.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Taco Bell isn't Mexican food...It American food with a Mexican name.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Never been to mexico or a mexican food restaurant with actual Mexicans... So no never had real Mexican food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Mexican and North American Mexican food isn't the same thing?
    That's akin to asking whether Swedish and Italian foods aren't both European. lol.

As to the OP, again, as with, say Italian food, it depends where you go and who cooks it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Never been to mexico or a mexican food restaurant with actual Mexicans... So no never had real Mexican food.
    Meanwhile, there's a very high probability that any food you've had at a restaurant in the US was cooked by a Mexican (or Dominican, or Costa Rican, etc.)

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    That's akin to asking whether Swedish and Italian foods aren't both European. lol.

As to the OP, again, as with, say Italian food, it depends where you go and who cooks it.

- - - Updated - - -

Meanwhile, there's a very high probability that any food you've had at a restaurant in the US was cooked by a Mexican (or Dominican, or Costa Rican, etc.)
    I dont doubt they are Latinos especially here in south Florida however for some reason I only know 1 Mexican majority of ppl here are Cuban followed by Puerto Ricans Colombians etc, but its fking ridiculous that I only know a single guy that comes from Mexico when Mexico is one of the biggest Latin american countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. I don't think it's bland and some of it is spicy.

Mexico is a big country and the cuisine is diverse depending on region. You're going to have different Mexican food depending on where you are in the country.

There are dishes I love (many) and things I don't (mole). I don't think authenticity automatically means something is delicious, though. I also like texmex and other nontraditional takes on Mexican food.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    I dont doubt they are Latinos especially here in south Florida however for some reason I only know 1 Mexican majority of ppl here are Cuban followed by Puerto Ricans Colombians etc, but its fking ridiculous that I only know a single guy that comes from Mexico when Mexico is one of the biggest Latin american countries.
    Florida is a special case for proximity reasons. You'd likely find the opposite if you were in southern California or southern Texas.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least once a week but I'm also 5 minutes from the border with latino family and friends so it's not particularly hard to come by around here

10+ Year Old Account
    Corn tortillas are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I don't think authenticity automatically means something is delicious, though. I also like texmex and other nontraditional takes on Mexican food.
    This, entirely.1

Tex-mex is the original "fusion" cuisine. Fusion is fun. Take the best of what you like from anywhere in the world, and call it something new. For example, a lovely Korean woman in my city makes Korean pizza. Fucking kimchi on a pizza? Hells yes.