Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

What is the fascination of building monster homes?

I install ductwork and furnaces/ac's for these monstrosities. They tear down a little bungalow house and put up this gigantic home. Who the the hell wants to heat these monstrosities and walk up all those stairs. You need a small fortune to furnish the damn home and lets not even talk about heating/electrical costs

I'm pretty sure most people hang out in the kitchen/living room..now you got all these vacant rooms..and most times these places are sterile unwelcome places.

Hey I don't mind doing full system installs for these monstrosities, I just don't see the appeal of them. Give me a bungalow any day.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's human nature to never be satisfied and always want more.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    It's human nature to never be satisfied and always want more.
    I just don't understand it.

People that have huge homes or huge cars are making up for what they lack in other areas *cough* - on a more serious note, I don't see the point of it, beyond literally pure ego I don't see the point in having a mansion with 8-20 rooms when you're only ever going to use 2-3 of them? I'd be happy with a smaller house with 4-6 rooms than a 20 room mansion.

Would rather live in a nice castle, you can get one for 10,000,000 EUR with a 20,000 square metres plot zise, 20 bedrooms etc, prices and locations vary of course. Alot cheaper then those expensive houses in LA or what not.

You can even get huge castles with 28 bedrooms for 2 million EUR, could be a problem to get there though.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2017-02-24 at 11:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey my kids have a lot of shit

I mean if they're keeping you employed to do your duct work then I wouldn't be complaining.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

How big is monster in your opinion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I mean if they're keeping you employed to do your duct work then I wouldn't be complaining.
    I'm not complaining. Just bothers me a bit ..seeing all these monster homes go up and a little bungalow sitting in the shadows.

I guess its progress. I always like driving thru neighbourhoods untouched by this fad. nice to see old bungalows and back split homes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    How big is monster in your opinion?
    you know it when you see it going up and the little bungalow nexst to it.

Deleted
    for throwing parties

In the US houses are tax write offs, you can deduct your mortgage payments for example. If you get a small house and pay it off you lose the tax write off so people get these monster houses that they'll have to pay on for decades all because they can deduct their mortgage payments.

At least that what I remember reading somewhere.

Not sure if the same is true in Canada but I wouldn't be surprised.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alphalion View Post
    for throwing parties
    only happens in the movies. Otherwise you beter be putting on slippers when you enter the house..don't want to scuff the marble.

Deleted
    Disposable income.

If you have 20 million dollars, what else are you going to do with it? Wealth is pretty broken right now, there's no need in having more than, say, 100k per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    My husband is going to be a multi-millionaire once his grandma passes, and he's pretty set on getting a huge home, despite me wanting a small and secluded cottage. I'd be okay with living in an old castle.... I just have to convince him to move over to Europe
    Hehe yeah if i ever win the lottery i will move asap, the decoration would be a bitch though unless you get the stuff already there with the purchase and i do think you do with most of them.

I'm not really sure.

Big garden, I can understand, but big building? Nah. So much upkeep.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I don't think I'll ever convince him. He's full on "love my Murica!". It would be nice to go back to Scotland and live with the rest of my family, though.
    You could always build one if these, abit cheating and will not give you that castle feeling but you dont have to leave the states

https://www.prestigeproperty.co.uk/6...y-italy-191280

This site is good for checking castles but yeah most of them are located in europe. https://www.prestigeproperty.co.uk/c...pt-Castle/s-d/

And yeah Scotland have some very nice looking ones.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2017-02-24 at 11:46 PM.

I'd just hire maids.
    Big houses need more than just cleaning.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I'm not complaining. Just bothers me a bit ..seeing all these monster homes go up and a little bungalow sitting in the shadows.

I guess its progress. I always like driving thru neighbourhoods untouched by this fad. nice to see old bungalows and back split homes.

- - - Updated - - -

you know it when you see it going up and the little bungalow nexst to it.
    That doesn't really answer my question but w/e.